AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-26-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post
Would you keep us updated, in case we ever have a similar problem? It'd be great to know what the fix ends up being.
OK--Got an email back from Mike Pickett. He told me to check if all speakers are enabled, by setting the SP3 to the input in question (DVR), and pressing the up-arrow button next to the display. I did, and it showed only fronts and a sub. Big surprise to me, as I hadn't been in the menus for quite awhile, so i don't know how it got set that way. (I swear I didn't do it!! )

Any way, I went into setup and enabled centers and surrounds, and everything works now. So happy I don't have to pack the thing up and send it in!
Old 01-26-2017, 08:25 PM

What a feeling: when you think you have been defeated, and then, wait a minute, nothing's wrong!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 PM

Fantastic!

I have been surprised a few times after upgrading the firmware that I missed a setting or two.

I still love my SP3!
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 PM

Seriously, what's not to love?

Except, maybe, the manual, written for computer geeks, inscrutable to mere mortals.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Seriously, what's not to love?

Except, maybe, the manual, written for computer geeks, inscrutable to mere mortals.
I had a niffy idea. A web-based graphical interface for the SP3!

Here's the glitch: the SP3 simply wasn't designed for it.

Here'ts the fix though: Design the web app outside of the SP3. User runs the app and it connects (only locally) to your SP3. Have the app download ALL the SP3 settings!

Then, the app can be designed separate from the SP3. Put a coat of user-friendlyness on the app and bingo! When users are done tinkering with settings, the app would upload the settings to the SP3.

And there you have it! GUI interface without all the apps/code onboard the SP3.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Well, I'm having more issues since I did the upgrade--I'm getting reverb in the audio from my DVR. If I can get my wife away from the tube long enough to do some troubleshooting, I'll try to narrow it down. It may be the DVR, because there's no reverb with the Roku or the BDP1.

The display reads DD 5.1 in, and 5.1 out. Funny thing, I can't change the Surround mode, but I can when playing the BDP1. I'll need to try switching inputs, resetting the DVR, and who knows what else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:26 PM

Red face

Quote:
Well, I'm having more issues since I did the upgrade--I'm getting reverb in the audio from my DVR. If I can get my wife away from the tube long enough to do some troubleshooting, I'll try to narrow it down. It may be the DVR, because there's no reverb with the Roku or the BDP1.

The display reads DD 5.1 in, and 5.1 out. Funny thing, I can't change the Surround mode, but I can when playing the BDP1. I'll need to try switching inputs, resetting the DVR, and who knows what else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
OK, I figured it out. Somehow, the TV speakers were turned on. Doh! That'll make for a nasty echo.

Don't know how that happened, you have to go a couple levels into the TV menu to turn them on/off. Musta had the late night crazies.

Anyway, dodged another bullet.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
OK, I figured it out. Somehow, the TV speakers were turned on. Doh! That'll make for a nasty echo.
Sorry to laugh but I've done the same.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:43 PM

I realize that the SP3 has been out for a while, but does anyone know how the DAC in the SP3 compare to that of other current Bryston products?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 PM

I have the SP3, and I feel that the BDA-3 is superior. Not saying the SP3 is any kind of slouch, but the BDA-3 is better. I run my BDA-3 via the balanced XLR to my SP3, and run the SP3 on bypass so it doesn't process it again. I think it sounds great. I know Gbaby might disagree because he likes 5.1 and 7.1 music, but I still prefer 2 channel.