AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
My favorite bumper sticker seen on a Nissan Leaf - “Powered by Coal”
Absolutely true.

Most people seem to think the energy for electric cars comes out of the ether--but it doesn't. It comes out of the ground just like gasoline.

The pollution from electric cars isn't seen at the point of use (on the road) like gas powered cars, it is seen at the electric power plants.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 07-18-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:58 AM

I am currently working with a company that is developing the advanced LiDAR sensors needed for autonomous vehicles. The performance today is good enough to detect a black tire sitting on a black road 150m ahead of the vehicle. Pretty impressive.

The cost is coming down significantly - it’s economically viable for large trucks now, autos by 2020 as every Tier 1 supplier is in a race to build the best mousetrap.

The amount of R&D pouring into autonomous driving is staggering.

To a prior post - it is easy to conflate electric vehicles with Autonomous Vehicles because Tesla is doing both and is always in the news.

As for GPS System failure - every autonomous solution has its own 3 axis inertial system running in parallel so if GPS fails for any reason the inertial will safely guide the vehicle for some period of time. These systems also use pulse counting from the wheel sensors on the ABS system to determine vehicle speed and relative position.

GPS is easy to jam but very hard to ‘spoof’ so it is either there or not there. With one exception. The US Gov’t has the ability to degrade GPS system accuracy (selective availability) and does so when the tactical need arises, like Desert Storm.

The military uses its own location service carried on the same satellites as the civilian service. Much more accurate and robust.

Anyway some rambling thoughts - “objects may be closer than they appear”

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Good stuff Tom, thanks !
Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Pollution is rampant in populated cities, and controlling this is paramount. Other alternatives to fossil burning cars makes sense, currently there are propane and electric options.

Power plants create pollution whether coal or nuclear but they are often located in remote parts of our country.

While out of sight, out of mind plays a factor time does catchup, but in the interim it makes sense.

Autonomous cars and trucks perhaps one day will be the future. The trucking industry in the US is short by over 50,000 drivers who carry an average I would estimate of 25,000 lbs per load and estimate a 3.5 day trip.

For commerce, I think they would need their own road for safety, but why not revisit trains and invest in this proven method, after all they did help build a country and use over the road trucks for expedited, specialty and local trucks for in state.

For the non commercial driver, it just is odd. I seen Cadillacs commercial, and for the temptation to sit behind something that is transporting you in plane view of others in non autonomous cars is somewhat scary for all the what if reasons.

Last, can you imagine if or when this day comes of autonomous vehicles, battery powered and what PS Audio can add in their marketing claiming more noise on the grid with everyone charging vehicles and the like, so the new P100 power plant is for you and your HiFi.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:56 AM

On a lighter note regarding electric cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLbakWESkw
Old 07-25-2018, 12:21 PM

I guess the manufacturing of lithium-ion batteries (and subsequent recycling process when the batteries reach end of life...to include transporting that weight to a facility and whatever is required power-wise to recycle a battery) is a nice clean, non-polluting process as well? LOL. Amazing that society seems to believe when they are told something is "clean" they accept it as truth without any question.

Mike
Old 08-16-2018, 12:28 PM

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/15/tec...nts/index.html
Old 08-16-2018, 12:42 PM

Problems with self driving cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlbHeg7U6Tc

There are many questions that need to be answered especially in defensive driving situations. For example, you are on a multilane road where you are in the middle lane between a cement truck on your right and a motor cycle on your left going 70 mph. A car in front of the cement truck has a blowout and swerves. The cement truck swerves so he doesn't hit the car with the blowout. You, in the car are faced with the decision to continue going straight and be hit by the cement truck or swerving left into the motor cycle. I have absolutely no doubt what I am going to do. The motor cycle is going to be toast. The question is what is the self driving car going to do?

Last edited by GaryProtein; 08-16-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
Problems with self driving cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlbHeg7U6Tc

There are many questions that need to be answered especially in defensive driving situations. For example, you are on a multilane road where you are in the middle lane between a cement truck on your right and a motor cycle on your left going 70 mph. A car in front of the cement truck has a blowout and swerves. The cement truck swerves so he doesn't hit the car with the blowout. You, in the car are faced with the decision to continue going straight and be hit by the cement truck or swerving left into the motor cycle. I have absolutely no doubt what I am going to do. The motor cycle is going to be toast. The question is what is the self driving car going to do?
The video brings up obvious and valid points that exist “today” but is near sighted. I think history and technological progress, especially in computing and now AI arenas has taught us not to never say never. No doubt there will be many challenges ahead with autonomous but... It’s just a matter of time before they are solved with better sensors, algorithms and even infrastructure. When NASA decided to put a man on the moon their whole command center had less computing power than we have in smart phones in our pockets today.

The guy in the video makes it sound like the human driver is ultimately able to overcome all the hazards and situations much better. Please... we all know better than that. What is challenging today will be solved if not tomorrow then next month, year, decade... I remember how skeptical some where when ABS brakes and ASC (stability) technology appeared. “I don’t need that” I heard guys say, well let’s just say I witnessed first hand more than a few times when they wished they had it... It would be silly to buy a car without those today.

There are 1.3 Million global deaths yearly from accidents and 100x more accidents without a fatality. We are far from perfect. AI will be when everything is ironed out. Remove all the human weaknesses, such as poor reaction times with age, poor vision, tiredness, sleepiness, altered states from all kinds meds, alcohol, various levels of driving skills, moods and rage, distractions from texting, putting on makeup... the list goes on and on... AI autonomously driving me around any time of day or night at full 100% efficiency and total control sounds great to me.

As to your comment about a motorcyclist being toast... Can’t say I could ever make a split second decision on who to hit, my instinctive reaction would be to hit neither to the best of my ability! I’d rather not be next to you on a highway.

Give it time and it will all work out. The roads will be safer and the mundane daily commute will be better spent on surfing AA on the way to work.

Last edited by PHC1; 08-16-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Professional race car driver vs AI autonomous (race cars) on a track. How long will it be before autonomous shatters all track records?

https://youtu.be/8C4FJilePPU