AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
Performance DC, Talisman, tube phono stage, Naim Audio, Dynaudio Contour, REL

This will be awesome for me!
That will be freakin awesome
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Regarding tube phono stage; I would recommend the EAR 834P.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
This one?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I wouldn't, no disrespect to you Stephen but the 834 has no loading and too much gain, I would look else where.....when the 834 hit the market several years back and price under 1K it was one of the better entery level phono stages....however as time went on other manufactures stepped up thier game equaling and in many cases bettering the 834 for less money.....Fast forward eight or so years and the 834 is now a bit under 2K and really nothing has changed sound wise with it! Regardless of the current price for the 834 Dean's Moon very much falls in the same catagory for far less money IMO.....he would be better keeping what he has. I konw you have high regards for the manufacturer and proud to carry its flag and that's fine but there are way too many great phono stages out there to pass up.....just my thoughts and again I mean no disrespect.....Happy Listening to you
Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I think there is a tube phono stage builder based here in St. Louis that my dealer is considering picking up. I can't remember the brand name, but that will be an opportunity to do a home demo before purchase, which I usually try to do.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Excellent....having some loading and gain flexibility is most welcome in a phono stage now a days, makes it nice to really dial things in and doesn't tie you down to one cartridge if you should look at something different......
Old 06-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
I think there is a tube phono stage builder based here in St. Louis that my dealer is considering picking up. I can't remember the brand name, but that will be an opportunity to do a home demo before purchase, which I usually try to do.
Figured it out. It's Heron Audio, but looks like their products are out of my budget range.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Figured it out. It's Heron Audio, but looks like their products are out of my budget range.
Haven't heard any of there stuff but they get good press......the loading is pretty flexible which is good but the 64dB of gain is a tick on the high side....it will work but may over drive the cartridge......the Talisman with its .7mV will need about 57-61dB of gain, give or take a smidge......64dB may be pushing it a smidge .....look for somthing at around 60dB lot's to choose from.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
Haven't heard any of there stuff but they get good press......the loading is pretty flexible which is good but the 64dB of gain is a tick on the high side....it will work but may over drive the cartridge......the Talisman with its .7mV will need about 57-61dB of gain, give or take a smidge......64dB may be pushing it a smidge .....look for somthing at around 60dB lot's to choose from.
I think my Moon will have to do for now. It has 60db gain and 100 ohm loading. Not ideal, but probably good enough until I decide on something else. And that won't be before I finish sorting out my speakers and turntable.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I think my Moon will have to do for now. It has 60db gain and 100 ohm loading. Not ideal, but probably good enough until I decide on something else. And that won't be before I finish sorting out my speakers and turntable.
Sounds like a good plan.....gives you time to get familure with the new gear and may help in the direction you want to take the system in