AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-03-2020, 12:39 PM

Okay, guys! There has been a change in direction. I got my wife to agree to a small floorstander. So now I'm debating between the SabrinaX and the new Sonus Faber Maxima Amator. I've heard the SabrinaX at my local dealer and it was every bit if not better than my Yvette's, nothing not to like. I obviously haven't heard the Maxima Amator as they were just released. I prefer the look of the Amator, however, I value the sound more. I probably can't go wrong with either. What do you think?
McIntosh MA12000, Wilson SabrinaX, Bluesound Node 2i, Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker Cables, Transparent Gen5 Powerwave, Transparent High Performance Gen5 Power Cables, Transparent Premium Gen5 75 Ohm Digital Cable, Tidal Connect
Old 12-03-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knecht View Post
Okay, guys! There has been a change in direction. I got my wife to agree to a small floorstander. So now I'm debating between the SabrinaX and the new Sonus Faber Maxima Amator. I've heard the SabrinaX at my local dealer and it was every bit if not better than my Yvette's, nothing not to like. I obviously haven't heard the Maxima Amator as they were just released. I prefer the look of the Amator, however, I value the sound more. I probably can't go wrong with either. What do you think?
Sonus Faber Maxima Amator was practically engineered to work with a McIntosh... for me it wound be the floor speaker of choice.

Plus, as amazing as the Wilsons sound, I can't get past their aesthetic... and I'm not that hard to offend.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Two very different speakers with very different presentation plus you are used to listening to Yvette. I assume you are going to wait to hear the Maxima Amator before ordering?
Old 12-03-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Two very different speakers with very different presentation plus you are used to listening to Yvette. I assume you are going to wait to hear the Maxima Amator before ordering?
That is the plan, I'm calling my local dealer today. The good news is, he carries both, although I doubt he has the Maxima on the floor yet. The SabrinaX is very neutral which I know pars very well with Mc. I watched a review of the Amator III by Audio Excellence and Jay felt the Amator III was a little warm for his liking with Mc and preferred the Amator with Hegel. I mention it because I don't want it overly warm... The Absolute Sound called the Maxima neutral and is supposed to have a review in a coming edition. I'm curious to read it...
McIntosh MA12000, Wilson SabrinaX, Bluesound Node 2i, Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker Cables, Transparent Gen5 Powerwave, Transparent High Performance Gen5 Power Cables, Transparent Premium Gen5 75 Ohm Digital Cable, Tidal Connect
Old 12-03-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
That is the plan, I'm calling my local dealer today. The good news is, he carries both, although I doubt he has the Maxima on the floor yet. The SabrinaX is very neutral which I know pars very well with Mc. I watched a review of the Amator III by Audio Excellence and Jay felt the Amator III was a little warm for his liking with Mc and preferred the Amator with Hegel. I mention it because I don't want it overly warm... The Absolute Sound called the Maxima neutral and is supposed to have a review in a coming edition. I'm curious to read it...
New Sonus Faber is not exactly like it was in the days of Franco Serblin. I really enjoyed the SF Guarneri Mementos I owned for some years. Very musical, very romantic and especially on the stringed instruments.

The voicing of the speakers was very obvious given the region, the history, culture all the famous violin makers like Giuseppe Guarneri, Nicola Amati, Antonio Stradivari and the music they most likely used in the voicing and design sessions.)

The new Sonus Faber sound has deviated somewhat from that rich, sweet and colorful presentation that was prevalent for quite some time, more towards the neutral but with a hint of sweetness still existent in the speaker.

There is a reason SF still uses wood cabinets and not of the MDF variety, instead crafted by hand with kiln dried planks. They treat their speakers as a musical instrument and some "sympathetic resonance" will be unavoidable.

To some listeners it will be a big plus, some will want even more neutrality.

The Wilson house sound has taken an opposite journey. From non-resonant cabinets to extra revealing and accurate transducers, to pushing the boundaries of an even stiffer, vibration free cabinet with a more organic and musical drivers carefully tuned by ear with decades of experience by now.

If the Wilson camp was very split at one point, I would guess that a good 90% of audiophiles would be "gobsmacked" (that's a relative new audiophile term that is often used now instead of holy sh$t that sounds great!!) by a properly setup and synergized Wilson system with ANY of their speakers.

Having said all that, a careful listening session and preferably a few at least, with various music should reveal a clear preference.

In my personal opinion and in that price range??? Wilson SabrinaX will absolutely crush the Maxima Amator across the board. Unless of course there is a quality in the Amator that jumps out and grabs you and won't let go.

Good luck and choose wisely. Many happy listening sessions to you.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:45 PM

I agree with Serge that you are likely to prefer the SabrinaX. I test drove Sabrinas with Mc a couple of years ago--they were magical on mids and highs, but needed a sub to really rock. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2020, 07:44 PM

The title of this thread seems like a paradox to me, why purchase a big and powerful amplifier to use with a small and simple speaker?
Old 12-03-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
The title of this thread seems like a paradox to me, why purchase a big and powerful amplifier to use with a small and simple speaker?
some of us don't have the luxury to live in a place where we can setup huge speakers ... and some "Small" speakers can handle 300W+ and sound like floor speakers only they take up a lot less space and work better with the acoustics of a bedroom.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:30 PM

Magico A1.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:06 PM

I think some of you didn't get the memo.... the war department at his house (read his wife) has allowed him to get floor speakers... we're not shopping for bookshelf anymore.