AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-09-2017, 02:38 AM

Default Blasphemy to use "Tone Controls" on Mc Pre-Amp?

I have always thought it was a big no-no to use any type of equalizer on a receiver or pre amp or processor. I have always been taught that you want everything to sound as it should in the "flat" or no-filtering configuration because if you adjust something you are adding something to the system that is adding distortion, or altering the sound in a way that wasn't intended. I guess this is a very purest way of looking at things.

As I look closer at the Mc Pre-amps, there are often times tone controls for several different frequencies. I am using a Mc MX132 processor and B&W N804 speakers. Lately I have started to notice that at times the speakers tend to be a bit bright, and this is worse if the recording was done poorly. The problem is that the early N series B&Ws were sort of known to be a little more bright, but most people feel like the Mc is a great match since they tend to be so silky smooth. I haven't really noticed this a lot in the past, so I am not sure if it is my hearing is changing or maybe different music that I am listening to.

That being said, I don't have the funds to go out and purchase the new 804 diamond speakers that are supposed to be a little less bright. I have considered a few different solutions (replace my tweeter with the "signature" tweeter and see if that helps, make some changes to my Xover in the speakers, both of the above).

As I got to looking at more of the Mc stuff, I kind of got to wondering if I might try and turn my "treble" control down 1-2 db. Turns out that this lowers or raises the sound at 10,000hz. So I tried it (nothing to lose) and it seems to have tamed the tweeter a little bit. I am not sure if this is a permanent solution, as it might be effecting the sound in a negative way (as mentioned above) or if I should start pursuing the other methods to possibly "fix" it.

What is the general thought on adjusting these controls?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:49 AM

If it sounds good to you, that's all that should matter.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:05 AM

The idea behind this is that if everything is set up perfectly... Gear is high quality, room is treated, source material is recorded well... It should not be needed.

Of course nothing is ever "perfect", so tone controls help to deal with real world conditions.

I recommend that you do whatever you like, but think about some other things you might try to change the offending brightness , like room treatments. Maybe it's just a specific recording? Cables can also contribute to brightness.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:56 AM
Keeping it real since '75

In a perfect world, I think your initial instincts are correct; you shouldnt need to adjust anything. However, we are in a much less than perfect world and I personally would never fault someone for using their EQ. Do whatever sounds best to you!

On the topic of switching speakers. Its been a while since I seriously listened to any B&W speakers, but several years back I seriously considered 802 Diamonds. I brought my own music, had the room all to myself, etc., and to me they were *very* bright... so much so that I went some place else and got Sonus Faber.. I am sure B&W had made changes in this series, but if you do decide to go down the speaker route you may want to demo some different brands. Sonus Faber and the new Wilsons (with silk tweeters) are ones I would consider if you want something more "silky"..
Old 02-09-2017, 08:47 AM

McIntosh realizes the reality of the real world and provided tone controls to allow you to control the playback and SQ to your liking.

Use them if you feel the need to. The only offensive behavior here is not enjoying your music.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
McIntosh realizes the reality of the real world and provided tone controls to allow you to control the playback and SQ to your liking.

Use them if you feel the need to. The only offensive behavior here is not enjoying your music.
On the money. Proud Mac owner here, who uses tone controls.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:11 PM

I don't use the program e.q. for room correction as a rule (with one exception) but it can make a marginal recording more listenable. Everything you listen to through your rig has been equalized at several points along the way. No exceptions to that since vinyl requires at the minimum use of the RIAA curves in both mastering and playback. If you have a subwoofer, you'll also have at the least a low pass network for it, and optimally, a high pass for the mains.

EQ is just about unavoidable in commercially recorded music, and if you like tape, you'll discover e.q. is used in recording and playback as well.

Without going to extremes of the definition, there really is no such thing in the audio world as recorded music that hasn't been passed through a series of frequency correcting networks. Especially true for pop music of just about every kind. Some purist recording may bypass any program e.q. during tracking, but eventually the raw product will succumb to some sort of treatment elsewhere in the chain.

Last edited by Pampero; 02-09-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:11 PM

Tone controls are and always have been personal preference. I knew people who were extremely proud of the huge a$$ equalizers with a billion controls and they would spend their time fiddling with the sliders....

To each his own.... I never liked what these controls did to the sound and have always enjoyed the "flat" sound much more. Therefore tone controls have never been my cup of tea. If a unit had tone controls and had a by pass switch it was always engaged for me. The equipment that I have almost always most enjoyed rarely had tone controls.

But again, to each his own. There is no right or wrong here.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
Tone controls are and always have been personal preference. I knew people who were extremely proud of the huge a$$ equalizers with a billion controls and they would spend their time fiddling with the sliders....

To each his own.... I never liked what these controls did to the sound and have always enjoyed the "flat" sound much more. Therefore tone controls have never been my cup of tea. If a unit had tone controls and had a by pass switch it was always engaged for me. The equipment that I have almost always most enjoyed rarely had tone controls.

But again, to each his own. There is no right or wrong here.
Agree!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Also agree!