AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Infinity Speakers

Infinity Speakers Pursuit of Perfect Sound

Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 AM

Default Infinity control woofers

Could anyone please tell me the purpose of the resistor across the servo connection on the control woofers. I noticed my Gammas have them but my control woofers in my Betas do not. Could this effect performance?
Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 AM

There were two generations of control woofers for the IRS Beta/Gamma system, and they could be identified by the presence or absence of that resistor. They are comparable in actual operation. You can test whether the servo is working properly by gently pressing the control woofer cone while the LF amplifier is on and no audio signal is going to the woofer. You're in good shape if the column's other woofers move in sync with the control woofer.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:55 PM

Hi Cleeds,
I have a set of Betas but when I push on my control woofers, while the power is on but no signal going through them, the other three move in the opposite direction. Is that incorrect? Should they move together in the same direction? And if so, what do I need to do to make them work correctly?

Thanks, for any advice.

Kory
Old 07-31-2017, 01:45 AM

And another followup question. On my control woofers, on my Betas, one has the resistor and one doesn't. The one without is kind of wonky. It's really sensitive, and when I do the tap test it just goes crazy and jumps out super far. It's actually scary. The one with the resistor is fairly subdued. I'm so worried about my control woofers and wonder what or how to fix them or regulate them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkats View Post
... when I push on my control woofers, while the power is on but no signal going through them, the other three move in the opposite direction. Is that incorrect? Should they move together in the same direction? And if so, what do I need to do to make them work correctly
All the woofers should move in the same direction. It sounds like you've got something miswired in that speaker column. Do you have a schematic to use to diagnose it? If not and you pm me with your email, I can send you a copy.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
And another followup question. On my control woofers, on my Betas, one has the resistor and one doesn't. The one without is kind of wonky. It's really sensitive, and when I do the tap test it just goes crazy and jumps out super far. It's actually scary. The one with the resistor is fairly subdued. I'm so worried about my control woofers and wonder what or how to fix them or regulate them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hmmmmm, that sounds odd. I'm really not sure what the issue is there, so I hope someone here else can help.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Cleeds,
Many, many thanks for sending me the wiring schematic. I went through both towers and indeed, I had one control woofer wired backwards! This solved everything. Thank you so very much. Now things work as they should, and I'm thrilled with the sound.

I learned an important lesson in this-the wiring diagram is essential because there are a couple of places within the system where positive gets wired to negative, and visa versa. It's counter intuitive, and that's what happened to get me backward before. When I took a woofer out to refoam then replaced it, putting red to positive ended up being incorrect in one instance, and then I was out of phase and backward. But now it's all good, thanks to your assistance, Cleed, and Audio Aficionado.

Happy listening, and hopefully this helps someone else sometime.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Cleeds, Many, many thanks for sending me the wiring schematic ... the wiring diagram is essential because there are a couple of places within the system where positive gets wired to negative, and visa versa. It's counter intuitive, and that's what happened to get me backward before. When I took a woofer out to refoam then replaced it, putting red to positive ended up being incorrect in one instance, and then I was out of phase and backward ...
Great! I am glad that this worked out for you! I agree that reinstalling the woofers after refoaming is a tricky process and not at all intuitive. That is why I am careful before even removing a woofer to ensure that the identifying tag on each woofer lead wire is in place. Over the years, they tend to fall off and I've made my own to replace them. I find the woofer foam lasts about 10 years, so I've refoamed a few times since the system was new.