AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 09-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Cool Component Isolation

Yes I know this is a touchy subject, but I still think it has merit.
I currently have my components sitting on/within a custom walnut cabinet, with 2 sliding doors. The top is solid walnut, the internal shelves are plywood veneer.

My questions to Shindo owners:
I have heard that shindo amps/preamps prefer a wood surface to sit on, but have heard conflicting experience on the effectiveness of isolation platforms and footers.
Where do your components reside? , what rack/shelf are you using? What isolation have you tried with your Shindo pieces, footers, platforms?
What has worked for you? , what has not?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM

I have a custom made rack by Steve Blinn (Solid Maple shelving on CNC machined aircraft aluminum frame). While I've tried some other isolation products (Walker Audio , Herbies, etc..) I find I like the gear sitting directly on the wood rack. Most of my audio tweaks I've purchased over the years are either sold or sitting in a storage box. While the rack was not cheap ($5K) I think a solid rack is a good investment.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM

I believe Mr. Shindo voices his gears on thick maple shelf. You can't go wrong with wooden shelf.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I believe Mr. Shindo voices his gears on thick maple shelf. You can't go wrong with wooden shelf.
Hi Tommy, I don't believe this to be the case regarding what Ken uses.

Stacked plywoods will sound better than a single piece of dense maple, from my experience.

-M
Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Hi Tommy, I don't believe this to be the case regarding what Ken uses.

Stacked plywoods will sound better than a single piece of dense maple, from my experience.

-M
I swear I read that online, somewhere. Goes to show you can't trust anything you read online
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I swear I read that online, somewhere. Goes to show you can't trust anything you read online
Indeed.

Didn't mean to be so blunt in my reply--

To expound on this, the only equipment support guaranteed to sound great with Shindo is the LignoLab equipment support and the Box Furniture components.. Others may work well and sound good, of course. The Box, in particular does not cost much - relatively speaking - and is sturdy and sonically sound.

The LignoLab is a revelation, and I've recommended it to customers, instead of upgrading a preamp or amp. It's that dramatic.

-M
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 PM

Default Isolation

Matt - what is your take on using aftermarket footers to replace the stock rubber feet on shindo gear.

shindo seems to use regular rubber feet that have limited resonance control ability. Perhaps using herbie tender feet would help?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 AM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
Matt - what is your take on using aftermarket footers to replace the stock rubber feet on shindo gear.

shindo seems to use regular rubber feet that have limited resonance control ability. Perhaps using herbie tender feet would help?
Hey Larry,

As you know, Shindo chooses all the components in the circuit for a sonic reason.

Which leads me to the chassis design - It's an integral part of the sound. It has been thoroughly thought through, with separate chambers containing various areas of the circuit. I always recommend the gear sits direct on a solid, stable surface using the stock footers.

-M
Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 AM

Hi Guys,
I am a great believer in Isolation. Try a Stillpoint Component stand below your gear and I am sure you will see the light
Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Hi Matt:

I have no doubt that Ken Shindo is a master at circuit design and layout using various chambers to reach his goal. But if you look at his footers, they
certainly don’t appear to be anything special. A well thought out chassis design will help, but perhaps the footers can be improved on to enrich the sound, not harm it's sonic structure in anyway.
Aftermarket footer manufacturers claim that "they don't color the music or change the tone/harmonics, they reduce distortions caused by micro-vibrations, resulting in a truer rendering of the music, more faithful to the components' intent"
Also, what is your take on Silent Running Audio (SRA) & HRS isolation platforms. I have seen Shindo equipment utilize these many times to great effect.