AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 PM

When it comes to physics of electronics I'm pretty clueless. I know basic principal but can't explain why those principals exist so yes the demo will only tell me how well each combination works as a combination but not how the other works.

Anyway, I've got the Nines hooked up and playing some Florence & the Machine vinyl on my super low budget Technics direct drive TT.

Much crisper details and the dynamic compression that Metaphacts pointed out is all but gone. Bass is more defined and fantastic musicality. This was just as big a jump as going to Shindo from my old system. In comparison the Cremonas seemed a little more fat and veiled. Laid back is a term I hear used a lot and would definitely apply. They had musicality and an organic feeling though which I wanted to retain. The Nines seem to have retained those features while lifting a veil and giving back more low level detail and crisper imaging.

I still need to play with the rake and toe in to see if there is more to squeeze out but done deal as far as I'm concerned.

Cremonas on the sale block shortly!

This is the 2nd stranger now who has mentioned this is one of the best systems he's heard. His recommendation (biased as it may be as a seller) don't spend any more money on anything and enjoy what I have...the combo of the room and gear seems to be in fantastic harmony.

Have to say thanks again to you all and to Matt at PPA for introducing me to Shindo and this awesome journey I'm on.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Congrats!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Intresting that you find the Cremonas to be rolled off and veiled sounding also, I guess it wasn't the Audio Research gear that was driving them. Glad to hear you like the 9s, if I had one quibble about my old Super 8s it was that they lacked bass, but the 9s with their side firing woofer don't have that issue. Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Speaker and amplifier is like the engine and the transmission of the racing car with the rest of the system completing the whole. Not having a properly matched amp/speaker in terms of power and synergy is like an engine not firing on all cylinders combined with transmission with wrong gear ratios.

The Shindo/Devore synergy seems to be well proven and enjoyed by many. It brings out the best of both the Shindo gear and the speaker itself.

Adhesiv, the Cremona will make someone else very happy and you will be even more happy with your new Shindo/Devore 9's combo!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Speaker and amplifier is like the engine and the transmission of the racing car with the rest of the system completing the whole. Not having a properly matched amp/speaker in terms of power and synergy is like an engine not firing on all cylinders combined with transmission with wrong gear ratios.
x1000 (emphasis added by me)

Thanks Serge
Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 PM

Adhesiv, good luck with these. I want a pair bad. Can you show us some photos. I suspect you will love them!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
When it comes to physics of electronics I'm pretty clueless. I know basic principal but can't explain why those principals exist so yes the demo will only tell me how well each combination works as a combination but not how the other works.

Anyway, I've got the Nines hooked up and playing some Florence & the Machine vinyl on my super low budget Technics direct drive TT.

Much crisper details and the dynamic compression that Metaphacts pointed out is all but gone. Bass is more defined and fantastic musicality. This was just as big a jump as going to Shindo from my old system. In comparison the Cremonas seemed a little more fat and veiled. Laid back is a term I hear used a lot and would definitely apply. They had musicality and an organic feeling though which I wanted to retain. The Nines seem to have retained those features while lifting a veil and giving back more low level detail and crisper imaging.

I still need to play with the rake and toe in to see if there is more to squeeze out but done deal as far as I'm concerned.

Cremonas on the sale block shortly!

This is the 2nd stranger now who has mentioned this is one of the best systems he's heard. His recommendation (biased as it may be as a seller) don't spend any more money on anything and enjoy what I have...the combo of the room and gear seems to be in fantastic harmony.

Have to say thanks again to you all and to Matt at PPA for introducing me to Shindo and this awesome journey I'm on.
Just saw your set up on the for sale forum. Just curious. Was that your normal Cremona placement?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 PM

I agree system matching is key which is what drove me to even go after these spkrs and stray from my Cremonas in the first place.

Rolled off and Veiled is a good description but I think with some quality high wattage pushpull or SS gear that can command the Cremona vs the Cremona taking control of the relationship I would imagine we might see (hear) a different story. They certainly sounded fantastic with the Bel Canto REF500Ms which are high current and somewhat benign to impedance swings but the Shindo sound which I prefer to the Bel Canto is not meant for this pairing.

As soon as I can I'll post some new pics! Funny enough I just posted my system with the SF in the other post.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Just saw your set up on the for sale forum. Just curious. Was that your normal Cremona placement?
Funny enough, placed closer against the wall with minimal toe in was the best sound I could achieve with my system in my room. This is a room with zero room treatments since it's also my main living room and yes the TV in the center is not ideal but I usually just tossed a blanket over it during listening...not attractive for a photo.

I tried pulling apart farther or away from the wall with more or less toe in but after toiling for awhile this was considered the best position and was confirmed by others fellow audiophile and non-audiophile friends of mine, including my wife .

The photo also looks misleading when i look back at it...almost like the speakers were toed out....this must be some funky shadow illusion since they were most definitely not turned out at all but had a very slight toe in, probably about 10-15 degrees off a flat plane.

Trust me, I read all sorts of information on how to best setup the ideal speaker placement and was just as surprised as anyone that this was what i ended up with but my ears told me it was so.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post

The Shindo/Devore synergy seems to be well proven and enjoyed by many. It brings out the best of both the Shindo gear and the speaker itself.

Adhesiv, the Cremona will make someone else very happy and you will be even more happy with your new Shindo/Devore 9's combo!
Thanks Serge, You and Alberto have been priceless help to me on here.