AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 06-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Life is beautiful

Then a pair of the basic version of the W5 was put in its place.
I found it a bit awkward, so close to their bigger brethren.

The new version of the W5 goes deeper (reaches 45 Hz officially, but I think it dips even deeper).

The stands seem wobbly, but have the same intent as the suspension of the SE+ versions of the W8, W11 and W13: isolation from the ground.

A little SPEC amp was providing the power, the source remained the dCS duo.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-09-2019, 10:31 AM
Life is beautiful

The W5s are simply amazing!
They offer at least 80% (I dare to say even 90%) of the W8s, in a really tiny package.
If you have a 5K budget, and you value purity, soundstage and transparency, put these absolutely in your list of audition!
Make sure you have a decent amplifier though.
Their sensitivity is low.
And they will reveal all upstream weaknesses.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Life is beautiful

The rest of the range on static display:

Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Life is beautiful

Sven talked about his plans to make his own amplifiers, and even a DAC.

There is already a range of Boenicke speaker cables.

These are new, and I have no idea about the prices.

This is the price list of the speakers in Belgium:

You notice the important price difference between the basic version and the SE and SE+.
On his website, Sven explains the difference in materials of these versions.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Life is beautiful

Conclusion:

The W5 is a fantastic little speaker.
To look at, to listen to, to touch even.
It might be all the speaker you'll ever need, if you can live without the lowest octave.
It has an impressive soundstage.
New attendees were trying to figure out whether the W13s or the W5s were playing...

The W13 SE+ is one of the best speakers I've heard.
Bass is top notch in all aspects, quite a thing for a speaker that is only 104.7 cm high and 17.9 cm wide.
It is fantastic for classical, as well as jazz, and pop.
Very natural sound.
Do audition it if you are shopping in this category.
Your wife will be very grateful, and you won't miss anything by not buying speakers that are 3 times as big and weigh 5 times more.
(I want a pair! In a second room! ).

The W8 SE+ is a good speaker, but not one I would put in my top 10 list in that price range.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgens View Post
Thanks, Bart. I like their marketing slogan “Swiss Happiness in a Box”. Sounds like something a Swiss chocolatier might say.

And the photography ain’t too shabby. You must have a good teacher.

Gary, thank you.

But do eat Belgian chocolates!
Old 06-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
I heard the W13+ SE in Munich and was shocked by how good they were. Big room, somewhat small speakers and I kept looking around the room for surround speakers of some form, subs, etc...found none and simply sat back and enjoyed a huge surprise from this speaker. They had ample bass to spare...

Mark, you're absolutely right. For me, they enter right into my top 10 of all speakers that I have heard so far.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Mark, you're absolutely right. For me, they enter right into my top 10 of all speakers that I have heard so far.
+1

Thinking back frequently on these speakers..had to be one of my top 5-7 favorite sounds in Munich and shortlisted for my all time best list as well.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Life is beautiful

And this is a great recording done by Sven Boenicke:

Old 06-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
But do eat Belgian chocolates!
We are fortunate that Aldi brings in Belgian chocolate for us.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag