AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Both can, on the right speaker You will really need to listen for yourself, two different flavors of perfection. In a properly matched system- rack, turntable, transformers, cables, speakers, set up and the room. The weakness would never be either amplifier, only the implementation could hold you back. It will come down to YOUR preference. Both are not small investments, it makes sense to decide for yourself. I have both here, both make me very happy and both can transport you to another world. The wine names are not by accident, different flavors. Which preamp do you plan on using? This is at least as important to the result. Not to mention the turntable/cartridge/step up which can make or break the chain. Best, Jonathan

PS- where is the moderator for the Jerome off topic posts?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
" not my cup of tea either " That is the whole point. You not only do not like Shindo with Harbeth. You do not like Harbeth no matter the amp used. The old debate of " Shindo sounding much better with other speakers" won't bring anything more. I tried my Harbeth with various amps, tubes and SS. The Shindo's are able to produce great and beautiful ( I am not talking about big sound only ) sound with them just like any other amps. I had a bass problem with my EMT cart and the Shindos and realized that my VTA was off completely ( it was set for my 103 ). Corrected and the sound is fabulous.
Man, I beg you please stop this. On one hand we have a distributor telling interested people how to maximize performance of Shindo, potentially at the cost of those customers who are looking to use with Harbeth. On the other you have a guy trying to convince everyone he has a lovely stereo.

It sounds good to you. Enjoy. I don't think there is evidence of any anti Harbeth sentiment other than Shindo, as in the manufacturer, does not intend his products to be used on those speakers.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff View Post
If I may veer from the topic of speaker matching. For those who have done a comparison, what are the sonic characteristics of the d'yquem vs lafon gm70? Which will be able to provide the refinement that single ended triodes are known for?
I think only Vinyljh or one of the dealers can answer that. I would trust their opinion.

I had the gm70's and have the we300b ltds but I can't imagine many have heard the d'yquem.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:58 AM

Absolutely, spot on Kev.

I must have 30-40 Harbeth customers with Leben. Great match. I have no issue with Harbeth.

Those that choose to misuse gear on purpose are illogical and uninteresting. And, Shindo would never take the sale, not to mention nor would I.

Jonathan
Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313
Man, I beg you please stop this. On one hand we have a distributor telling interested people how to maximize performance of Shindo, potentially at the cost of those customers who are looking to use with Harbeth. On the other you have a guy trying to convince everyone he has a lovely stereo.

It sounds good to you. Enjoy. I don't think there is evidence of any anti Harbeth sentiment other than Shindo, as in the manufacturer, does not intend his products to be used on those speakers.
I am not trying to convince anyone that my stereo is lovely.
The OP wants to use a Set amp with SHL5 speakers. I stated that these speakers are not suited to Set amps, Shindo made or not.
Jonathan states that he heard the 40.1 with the CCs with Art Dudley and that the sound was aweful while Art WRITES in an internationally renown and respected magazine that the sound was gorgeous.
I am just pointing how incoherent and subjective is such a statement by Jonathan.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 PM

The OP was reviewing his D'Yquem. If you thought I was incoherent, I'll be more clear- Harbeth plus CC EL34- IT SOUNDED AWFUL! Why? Because the tubes are being tortured by reflected impedance and the tube and transformer current is triple what it should be. This would also result in premature tube failure. As you had in your amps(!)
Am I clear? I hope so. My point was made multiple times.

Yes, Jerome. Your system is the best. We are in awe.

Jonathan

Last edited by Vinyljh; 05-11-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh
The OP was reviewing his D'Yquem.
I am talking of Davidoff, the OP regarding the question to which you answered regarding of using D'Yquem or Lafon with Harbeth speakers....
Old 05-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Old 05-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh
The OP was reviewing his D'Yquem. If you thought I was incoherent, I'll be more clear- Harbeth plus CC EL34- IT SOUNDED AWFUL! Why? Because the tubes are being tortured by reflected impedance and the tube and transformer current is triple what it should be. This would also result in premature tube failure. As you had in your amps(!)
Am I clear? I hope so. My point was made multiple times.

Yes, Jerome. Your system is the best. We are in awe.

Jonathan
Jonathan,
I had zero tube failure in my CCQs, sorry. I suspected that after about 5000 hours of listening the original EL34's in my CCQs may be worn out and I replaced them but did not have them tested.
5000 hours for a push pull amp in class A is fine to me for tube life. I do not expect more.

BTW, you stated multiple times that you listened to the 40.1 with the CCQs amps and now you say that you listened to them with the regular CC's of Art Dudley.

For someone not interested in Harbeth, you are really trying lots of Shindo amps with them !

Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Jerome blinders in place, sorry to Davidoff and the OP.

Jonathan