AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 PM

I wonder if they'll (paragon) will be keeping the Krell amps they demo'd. I would like to hear them with the maxx's and Mac speakers. I think if Krell lowered their price point they could compete with more brands. At $65,000 pair I thought the Sasha's and B&W 800d's sounded better for less money. Of course I listen to more than just classical. ie. Korn, Slipknot, AC/DC, etc. So I require a speaker than can reproduce many types of music. It it were just classical the Krell speakers sounded great but finding an all round speaker is more of a challenge. I know alot of people dont think hard rock is REAL music but I listen to whatever I mood presents. Currently its Tori Amos and Evanescence.
Tomorrow it may be heavy metal. So far B&W and Wilson are the best of heard. I'll listen to Mac at next weeks presentation. Last time I requested an audition, the sales person said they wouldn't reproduce the music very well. I also auditioned the sonus faber. Great speaker but they couldn't keep up with the heavy metal. Im still torn between B&W 802d and Wilson Sasha. If the Wilson center wasn't $9000.00 I probably would have already upgraded. It's quite a chunk to upgrade. I watch movies equally so I would require a complete upgrade.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
I wonder if they'll (paragon) will be keeping the Krell amps they demo'd. I would like to hear them with the maxx's and Mac speakers. I think if Krell lowered their price point they could compete with more brands. At $65,000 pair I thought the Sasha's and B&W 800d's sounded better for less money. Of course I listen to more than just classical. ie. Korn, Slipknot, AC/DC, etc. So I require a speaker than can reproduce many types of music. It it were just classical the Krell speakers sounded great but finding an all round speaker is more of a challenge. I know alot of people dont think hard rock is REAL music but I listen to whatever I mood presents. Currently its Tori Amos and Evanescence.
Tomorrow it may be heavy metal. So far B&W and Wilson are the best of heard. I'll listen to Mac at next weeks presentation. Last time I requested an audition, the sales person said they wouldn't reproduce the music very well. I also auditioned the sonus faber. Great speaker but they couldn't keep up with the heavy metal. Im still torn between B&W 802d and Wilson Sasha. If the Wilson center wasn't $9000.00 I probably would have already upgraded. It's quite a chunk to upgrade. I watch movies equally so I would require a complete upgrade.
Did you ever get back to listen to the Sasha's and Maxx 3's with the Krell 600's? He usually always keeps the 600's to be set up with the Sasha's, 802D's ,800D's or the XRT 1k's. I assume he will keep the Maxx 3's around but maybe the will be going to anoher dealer.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 AM

The fact that we CAN compare a $25k Sasha to a $65k Krell says a lot.

Here is some info and comments made about them...

They are good to down to 24hz +/- 3db

Cepro reports where the drivers come from...
Quote:
Krell’s Modulari DUO loudspeaker is configured as a two-enclosure speaker that houses a 1-inch ScanSpeak Ring Radiator tweeter and a ScanSpeak 7-inch midrange driver in the speaker’s top-unit, sealed enclosure. The dual-port lower portion incorporates three 8-inch ScanSpeak woofers that are connected to separate crossover networks for the top section.
AV Guide says...
Quote:
The entire sound was quite impressive, clean and a shade dark
HE Magazine reports...
Quote:
D’Agostino was candid enough to admit that previous generations of Krell speakers were “voiced” to sound best with CD and other digital sources. For the Modularis, he also used LPs.
and
Quote:
D’Agostino nixed fuses or any form of protection for the drivers. “They truncate the signal and restrict current flow. The drivers were made to handle gigantic amounts of power,” he explained
and
Quote:
...the speaker must plead guilty to over-ripe bass, bordering on too much at times.
Stereomojo at RMAF said...
Quote:
Krell showed the completed "Modulari Duo" speakers we showed you in prototype form at CES.
Smashing looks, aluminum cabinets and woofers...but we heard better for $65,000/pr

Last edited by Uberbrown; 11-16-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
The fact that we CAN compare a $25k Sasha to a $65k Krell says a lot.

Here is some info and comments made about them...

They are good to down to 24hz +/- 3db

Cepro reports where the drivers come from...

AV Guide says...

HE Magazine reports... and and

Stereomojo at RMAF said...
We can compare any speakers at any price level. Oftentimes that is not the logical thing to do.
In my book there was no comparison. Now compare the Duos's to the Max 3's and it will come down to your preference in sound. If I was in the market for a speaker in that price range and I had to choose between the Krell's and the Maxx 3, the Maxx's would win out, but not because they do everything better.

Whoever quoted overripe bass must be nuts. The Duo's provided the tightest, fastest bass I have heard on "any" speaker. From the comments I heard from all of the others in the room, I do not think anyone would disagree.

Last edited by Still-One; 11-17-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM

And then there is the Alexandria X2v2. Dynamically and scale wise, the most impressive speaker I've ever heard.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Whoever quoted overripe bass must be nuts. The Duo's provided the tightest, fastest bass I have heard on "any" speaker. From the comments I heard from all of the others in the room, I do not think anyone would disagree.
Obviously HE Magazine would disagree because they did disagree, and wrote their disagreement in an article.

Just as a point of argument...one could say that HE Magazine would respond to your claim by saying "Whoever thinks the Duo's provided the tightest, fastest bass of heard on "any" speaker is nuts"

Again, these are not my impressions, they are HE Mag's.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
Obviously HE Magazine would disagree because they did disagree, and wrote their disagreement in an article.

Just as a point of argument...one could say that HE Magazine would respond to your claim by saying "Whoever thinks the Duo's provided the tightest, fastest bass of heard on "any" speaker is nuts"

Again, these are not my impressions, they are HE Mag's.
What's HE?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Home Entertainment magazine - owned by Robb Report i think - it is pretty cool, nice paper, binding and printing - they review some pretty high end stuff and show some nice theaters.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid HiFi View Post
Home Entertainment magazine - owned by Robb Report i think - it is pretty cool, nice paper, binding and printing - they review some pretty high end stuff and show some nice theaters.
What he said.

But at any rate, they are people with opinions just like us.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:55 AM

Maybe they were using Diff. amps with the speakers. I was sitting front row about 5 feet from those speakers. They had plenty of bass, they scared the crap out of me. NO sub required. I have never heard a speaker hit so hard. As far as quickness, tight, etc, maybe that depends on the song being auditioned. 1 song played, imo the bass was not tight, it sounded loose but it was deep and hard. It was just that song and that instrument though. For the price, I agree the Wison's win everytime.....No contest!!!!