AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 12-02-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdenis View Post
Welcome and thank you for this post, it's very interesting
I think there are not many of us who have a K1X here.

How would you qualify the contribution of the PS1 on the K1X, indispensable or not?
And to choose, is it better to invest in a clock or in the PS1?
Well, if forced to choose between the PS1 and the Cybershaft kit, I would go with the clock. Of course, I would also eventually want the PS1 as well. What I did not do was wait the presumably 200 hours or whatever the burn in period is for the K1X before adding the clock and the PS1. Rather, I had the K1X for about ten days before I had the clock, and it was another week or so before the PS1 showed up. During the period from getting the K1X and finally the PS1, I was only semi-diligent about burning in the new pieces. So it is reasonable to conclude that some (significant) improvements continued to take place in each component in addition to compounding improvements being realized by the addition of the clock and then the PS1. Indeed, the whole setup does seem to me to be getting better still. I have also not gone back and tried the K1X with the PS1 but without the clock, or with the clock and without the PS1 now that they have undergone perhaps 100 hours of use. So, my inquiry is far from being as methodical as it might be. That said, I am pretty confident in my conclusion that forced to choose I would take the clock over the PS1.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon007 View Post
Really good information - but not complete. There is probably just as much relative audio advancement comparing a new G1 and older G01 clock as between a new K1X and older K01. The only way to know how additive the audio enhancement of the combination of the new K1X and G1 is to actually pair them up and listen.
I get it. The advancement in clock tech (perhaps especially the understanding that phase noise and short term stability trump long term accuracy) is real. One need look no further than my observation that the internal clock in the K1X is not clearly bettered by the addition of the G01. As I noted, what I shared is the data point I have. If someone wants to loan me a G1 or G01X (someone told me they have the same specs, but I have not checked), I would be happy to conduct additional field research 😏
Old 12-03-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Dixon... I have a K1K but haven’t even opened it; may sell it. If I do keep it, I can pair it up with my G1 and post my listening impressions.
I would be curious to hear your impressions of the K1X. For me, it is a revelation, especially in combination with the PS1 and the Cybershaft clock and PS. To my ears, the sound I am getting is better than what I have heard from DCS Vivaldi stack and a Nagra HD DAC X in a system with the same electronics as mine with Magico M3 speakers, and is in the same league (at least at first blush) as what I heard at Magico’s facility from a system consisting of MSB Select II feeding CH Precision M1 monos (might have been M1.1s) and Magico M6 speakers.

To be fair, I listened to this last system for an hour, using music I know well, and some cuts chosen by Alon Wolf. It could well be the case that if I had spent significant time with it, I may be more or less willing to state that the sound I am getting is in the same league as that being produced by the system at Magico’s facility. In any event, what I hear from the K1X is music with a transparency, organic immediacy, unetched detail, tonal density, three dimensionality, openness and incredibly well articulated, center of the earth bass that is only matched by the system I heard at Magico. It goes without saying that there are plenty of great systems with great digital front ends I have not heard. But I sure do love what I am hearing :-)
Old 12-03-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bairdg View Post
I would be curious to hear your impressions of the K1X. For me, it is a revelation, especially in combination with the PS1 and the Cybershaft clock and PS. To my ears, the sound I am getting is better than what I have heard from DCS Vivaldi stack and a Nagra HD DAC X in a system with the same electronics as mine with Magico M3 speakers, and is in the same league (at least at first blush) as what I heard at Magico’s facility from a system consisting of MSB Select II feeding CH Precision M1 monos (might have been M1.1s) and Magico M6 speakers.

To be fair, I listened to this last system for an hour, using music I know well, and some cuts chosen by Alon Wolf. It could well be the case that if I had spent significant time with it, I may be more or less willing to state that the sound I am getting is in the same league as that being produced by the system at Magico’s facility. In any event, what I hear from the K1X is music with a transparency, organic immediacy, unetched detail, tonal density, three dimensionality, openness and incredibly well articulated, center of the earth bass that is only matched by the system I heard at Magico. It goes without saying that there are plenty of great systems with great digital front ends I have not heard. But I sure do love what I am hearing :-)

Excellent post. Incredible components.
Paradigm: Persona 7F, C5v3, ADP3,
JL Audio: F113v2, CR-1,
Shunyata: Everest, Denali 6000/Sv2, Altera
Shunyata and WW: PCs, SCs and ICs.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bairdg View Post
Well, if forced to choose between the PS1 and the Cybershaft kit, I would go with the clock. Of course, I would also eventually want the PS1 as well. What I did not do was wait the presumably 200 hours or whatever the burn in period is for the K1X before adding the clock and the PS1. Rather, I had the K1X for about ten days before I had the clock, and it was another week or so before the PS1 showed up. During the period from getting the K1X and finally the PS1, I was only semi-diligent about burning in the new pieces. So it is reasonable to conclude that some (significant) improvements continued to take place in each component in addition to compounding improvements being realized by the addition of the clock and then the PS1. Indeed, the whole setup does seem to me to be getting better still. I have also not gone back and tried the K1X with the PS1 but without the clock, or with the clock and without the PS1 now that they have undergone perhaps 100 hours of use. So, my inquiry is far from being as methodical as it might be. That said, I am pretty confident in my conclusion that forced to choose I would take the clock over the PS1.
Thank you for that answer, that's what I thought I understood.
I think I'll go for a Cybershaft, the PS1 being really expensive here, 20K€....
Old 12-05-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Thank you for that answer, that's what I thought I understood.
I think I'll go for a Cybershaft, the PS1 being really expensive here, 20K€....
If I can help in any way broker the conversation as far as all the choices, and/or with the fact that Kenji-san sometimes needs help with English as a second language or anything else, please let me know.

To be clear, I don't work for or benefit in any way, just try to help him out as he's got something special going there and I like to help out as he is a great human being and builds phenomenal products.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
If I can help in any way broker the conversation as far as all the choices, and/or with the fact that Kenji-san sometimes needs help with English as a second language or anything else, please let me know.

To be clear, I don't work for or benefit in any way, just try to help him out as he's got something special going there and I like to help out as he is a great human being and builds phenomenal products.
FWIW, my experience with the buying and shipping process at Cybershaft could not have been easier or more seamless.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:01 PM

That's it, I got in touch with Cybershaft ........
Old 12-09-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
That's it, I got in touch with Cybershaft ........
Excellent!
Old 12-11-2020, 06:30 AM

OP21A-1 ordered, wait and see.....

I will just have to find a Sigma 50 at a very good price to replace my Esoteric 8N-A2000