AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 AM

I got a little worried today. I was listening to my 1.7's (3rd day on) and I wasn't crazy about what I was hearing. These things are freaking me out a little, they are changing daily. Out of the box they were a little bright I thought I might have to put on the tweeter resistor (I wasn't crazy about doing that), then the second day they sounded great, this was the day I moved the tweeters on the inside. Then today (day 3) they sounded a little on the dark side, I actually had some time to listen but decided to leave the room. 8 hours later they sound different once again. Very rich and sweet this evening.

I just hope when they stop changing, they end up where I LOVE them.
Audio Room:MC1000 Mono-Blocks, C2300 w Gold Lions, Eastern Electric DAC Plus, Magnepan 1.7,SVS SB13Plus sub, Squeezebox Touch,Rega RP1 performance,iPad2, SurgeX XS10 Portable Rig: Audeze LCD2 w custom cable, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, Ray Samuels SR71-B Balanced Amp, ALO Audio cables, 160GB iPod,
Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Steve,

Don't worry, the .7 Maggies are just like all the maggies before them and take plenty of time for the panels to free up and find their voice. They will change fairly much every day and in some ways it becomes a bit of a rollercoaster... the way they settled in my system was they started out really detailed, startling and up front then quickly started to step back in their presentation getting more dark/laid back and deeper staged... then the bass will likely flesh out more an more as they become increasingly revealing, transparent and responsive to positioning and your ancillaries... this will start to become more critical some time in from my experience but at the same time the fact they are becoming more and more revealing makes them easier to optimise... in no time (something like 500 - 600 hrs) they will be everything you remember from your demo and more since they will be in your room with your gear :-) enjoy the ride. I haven't noticed a sound coming from my speakers in so long, it's just the players and the room and nothing plays piano like a Maggie :-)

Graham
Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Steve,

Don't worry, the .7 Maggies are just like all the maggies before them and take plenty of time for the panels to free up and find their voice. They will change fairly much every day and in some ways it becomes a bit of a rollercoaster... the way they settled in my system was they started out really detailed, startling and up front then quickly started to step back in their presentation getting more dark/laid back and deeper staged... then the bass will likely flesh out more an more as they become increasingly revealing, transparent and responsive to positioning and your ancillaries... this will start to become more critical some time in from my experience but at the same time the fact they are becoming more and more revealing makes them easier to optimise... in no time (something like 500 - 600 hrs) they will be everything you remember from your demo and more since they will be in your room with your gear :-) enjoy the ride. I haven't noticed a sound coming from my speakers in so long, it's just the players and the room and nothing plays piano like a Maggie :-)

Graham
Thanks Graham. I guess I need to relax, be patient and enjoy the Magnepan jeorney.
Audio Room:MC1000 Mono-Blocks, C2300 w Gold Lions, Eastern Electric DAC Plus, Magnepan 1.7,SVS SB13Plus sub, Squeezebox Touch,Rega RP1 performance,iPad2, SurgeX XS10 Portable Rig: Audeze LCD2 w custom cable, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, Ray Samuels SR71-B Balanced Amp, ALO Audio cables, 160GB iPod,
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
dpod4

Patience will pay off. My 3.7s started coming into their own around 300 hours. More coherent, imaging stabilized and bass panels kicked in big time. I still use a duelund cast resistor (.6) on the tweeter jumper.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Wonder if the 1.7s would still get the wife's if they came with this accessory.

(from Men's Health Tech Guide: Irina Shayk | Men's Health

Last edited by JohnK; 03-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK
Wonder if the 1.7s would still the wife's if they came with this accessory.

Can't wait to see who they put next to the 20.7s!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Belated congrats to you, Sperandeo!

I really miss the Maggies' sound; been listening to normal, boxy speakers on loan from my dealer for over half a year now.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klao View Post
Belated congrats to you, Sperandeo!

I really miss the Maggies' sound; been listening to normal, boxy speakers on loan from my dealer for over half a year now.
Are your Maggie's in for repair?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Wonder if the 1.7s would still get the wife's if they came with this accessory.

OMG!!! What's my wife doing in that picture??? Hehehe
Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Wow, maybe I should keep my 1.7's and cancel my 3.7 order. Nawwwwww

~Mike