AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Default MMG + amp budget combo

Hi all -- My son and I recently heard the 3.7 and he has a big 'jones' now to get a budget system starting with the MMGs...He is a college student - and he is studying music composition in both jazz and classical - so that is where his tastes lie.... He has a problem with $$$ however... as most college students do....

Can anyone comment on the MMG sound? What to expect? and what might be a good amp to go along with them? Actually I was thinking of possibly a used primaluna prologue one integrated... It would fit the budget.....

Any suggestions comments are very welcome.... thanks Tim.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 AM

I just assembled a modest system for my uncle's friend. It was based on the Maggie 1.7's, however. Chose the Cambridge Azur 851A (200wpc into 4Ohms) and Oppo 105 to go with the speakers. Quite a lovely combination, but the amp got stretched a bit at louder levels for the room was not small.

My guess is that a used solid state integrated amp (the model with highest wattage) from NAD or Cambridge might also be good candidate for your son's MMGs.

BTW, hearing a prima luna integrated + the 12's for the first time back in 2004, I was hooked with Maggies since then.

Last edited by klao; 06-15-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Klao...

Interesting that you say that you heard the combo and were hooked ever since... So, are you suggesting the primaluna and the maggie mmg would be a nice combination? I know 2004 is a ways back... but, I would think maybe the tubes might give a sense of more bass?? That might sound stupid... but, I heard the primalunas on some mini monitors before and the low end was there... It may have been because the tubes were not controlling it - but it did seem to give a sense of bottom end.... and I was thinking maybe that same type of thing might fill out an MMG.....
Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM

Hi Tim,

That combo I listened to was at my dealer showroom. It was the first time I had the opportunity to hear a pair of panel speakers. Couldn't really remember much about the bottom end from the setup, yet the mid-range sweetness and over-all, close to live music presentation & timbre got me explore into Maggie bigger models.

I ended up purchasing the 1.6's and Krell integrated 400xi from them.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Hi all -- My son and I recently heard the 3.7 and he has a big 'jones' now to get a budget system starting with the MMGs...He is a college student - and he is studying music composition in both jazz and classical - so that is where his tastes lie.... He has a problem with $$$ however... as most college students do....

Can anyone comment on the MMG sound? What to expect? and what might be a good amp to go along with them? Actually I was thinking of possibly a used primaluna prologue one integrated... It would fit the budget.....

Any suggestions comments are very welcome.... thanks Tim.
The lows go much deeper in the 3.7s and the highs are more extended with the 3.7's ribbon tweeter, but the midrange magic and the family resemblance is there. I think the have a 30 day money back guarantee so there is no risk in buying. I had a pair of SMGas in the 90's using a 45 watt tube amp in a very small room that was a great combo. Maybe look for a good used integrated and that would be a nice setup. Maybe NAD or ARCAM or Cambridge. A friend had a Jolida amp I thought it was pretty good.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:28 AM

John Darko of DAR recently set-up a nice budget system with the Wadia151 PowerDAC. He also reviewed it on his MMGs specifically. NAD has the new 3020 coming out. The PeachTree Nova 125 and Wyred4Sound mINT look great too. Good luck!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Well whatever he gets, I just would not pay for it out of your pocket. Let him pay for it...
IMHO
Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopwak View Post
Well whatever he gets, I just would not pay for it out of your pocket. Let him pay for it...
IMHO
Hahaha... You don't have to worry about that one!!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM

BTW I am using a Parasound A21. It has the current and watts to drive the MMGs well. But many say, they don't need all that many watts. Even something like a vintage Marantz 2270 would work fine. I think it would....but the MMG's do not sound strained at any volume with the A21. I have the Parasound P3 preamp paired with the A21.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Hi guys ... I came across another possible option here -- and I just wanted any opinions....

I have an old Carver m500t amp (250/ch into 8 ohms... 350/ch into 4).... What do you think about this with an MMG? It is an old amp.... Most of what I see is to feed the MMGs some juice.... My concern is that the PrimaLuna might not have enough power... but, I do really like those little integrateds....and of course the tubes are cool!! So, do you think I would have problems with the prima luna @ around 35 watts/ch on tubes?

So, between a primaluna prologue 1 or 2.... and an old Carver amp/ Carver C1 pre-amp.... what say you?