AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 06-19-2010, 02:43 PM
From the BAT cave ...

My Sophia 2's have handled everything I have thrown at them. Awesome bass, lovely midrange, and terrific dynamics. And that is through 50' runs of Tributaries speaker wire.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
My Sophia 2's have handled everything I have thrown at them. Awesome bass, lovely midrange, and terrific dynamics. And that is through 50' runs of Tributaries speaker wire.
oh, wow. are you using these for Home Theater set=up ?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 PM

No one has mentioned that there are about 5 or 6 pairs of Maxx 2's for sale on A-gon. They are going anywhere from $18k to $22k or $28k. Those are real bargains for a very fine speaker that can do it all.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I think I would prefer a pair of Sasha's to a pair of Maxx 2's.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I think I would prefer a pair of Sasha's to a pair of Maxx 2's.
If I moved them out of my 2-channel room into one of the larger rooms, I would go with the Maxx 2's. In my current room the Sasha's would probably work better.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolitan777 View Post
oh, wow. are you using these for Home Theater set=up ?
Yes, the Sophia 2's do double duty as the R/L mains in the Home Theater and as my two channel rig. The key is that the preamp for two channel has a HT bypass setting. Music goes Oppo as transport => Perpetual Technologies DAC =>W4S preamp => BAT amp. Movies go Oppo as player => Emotiva DMC-1 processor => 5 channels to Emotiva MPS-1 amp, 2 channels to preamp in bypass mode to BAT amp, LFE to a pair of JL Fathom 113's.

Wilsons and JL Fathoms make for a religious movie experience.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 AM

the maxx's two would be too big for my room. I recently heard them at a dealer showroom, used as well, they are nice!
I think the most that my room can handle would be the Sashas. But my pocket will only allow the Sophia 3s for the moment. Perhaps in the future.
According to the Wilson website, both Sasha and Sophia 3 seems to go about 20hz at its lowest.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 AM

Are the Sophias also revealing of poor recordings ?

good recordings sounds really awesome while bad recordings sounds really bad ?

I do understand from reading that the Watt Puppy Series were notorious for being too revealing, clinical.

Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Noli ... I cannot say categorically that Sophias handle a "bad" recording in any particular way - good or bad. But what I have found is that a lot of recordings that I thought were "good" turned out to be less good (the recording engineer's tricks were revealed) and some "bad" recordings turned out to have been bad only because the old rig could not resolve them. For example, a Sarah Vaughn cd that I had thought to be unlistenable with the old rig, is a treat to listen to with the Sophias and the BAT amp.

So, I guess my answer is the Sophia's are very revealing and whether that is good or bad will depend on a variety of factors (recording itself, source, amp, and your personal tastes).

By the way, you do realize that none of us can "talk you into a sense of security" about making this purchase? One person's "detailed" is another person's "too analytic." You just have to try it for yourself sometimes. That said, I would be astonished if Sophia 3's mated with synergystic gear (like your Lamm amps) and properly set up did not sound terrific to you.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Noli ... I cannot say categorically that Sophias handle a "bad" recording in any particular way - good or bad. But what I have found is that a lot of recordings that I thought were "good" turned out to be less good (the recording engineer's tricks were revealed) and some "bad" recordings turned out to have been bad only because the old rig could not resolve them. For example, a Sarah Vaughn cd that I had thought to be unlistenable with the old rig, is a treat to listen to with the Sophias and the BAT amp.

So, I guess my answer is the Sophia's are very revealing and whether that is good or bad will depend on a variety of factors (recording itself, source, amp, and your personal tastes).

By the way, you do realize that none of us can "talk you into a sense of security" about making this purchase? One person's "detailed" is another person's "too analytic." You just have to try it for yourself sometimes. That said, I would be astonished if Sophia 3's mated with synergystic gear (like your Lamm amps) and properly set up did not sound terrific to you.
Hello Randy,

thanks for the clarifications.
I do realize what you are saying is very valid.
I guess, the only way to know is to audition and try them out.
Nonetheless, it should be a fun and learning experience.

thanks again.
Noli