AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Are Wilson Speakers All-Arounders

hi guys,

I'm close in biting the bullet for a Sophia 3. Within the next few months I should be well within my finances in getting a pair.
Choice of colors is always a nice think to think about.
I just want to ask those of you who own the smaller wilsons like the Sophia, Sophia II, Sasha & the new Sophia 3s.
Are these speakers all arounder in musical genre ?
I listen a lot of female focals (Krall, Monheit, Lisa Ono,others in this category) , jazz( art pepper, Ben Webster, Miles Davis, Genne Ammons), Classical music & instrumental music, sometimes pop music like Tracy Chapman, New Order, Depeche Mode.) No hard rock though.

For years I've been using British monitor speakers like the LS3/5as, Spendors, Neat, Harbeth, Proacs. WHile these speakers have lovely midrange, the bass & dynamics could be "better".
I'm hoping the new Sophia 3 will have similar midrange to these British designs with more oommmph for bass and dynamics.

Hoping someone can chime in.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by nolitan777; 06-19-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 AM

Default Yes!

Hi,

I've had Quad 2805's, Martin Logan Spires, and plenty of dynamic driver speakers. Each were wonderful for what they did well, but each also had limitations.

I have not found any limitations of my Sashas yet. They do female vocal great with a midrange fleshy palpability. Krall, Kraus, Jacintha, Mitchell all sound wonderful and intimate.

They do large scale music extremely well with power, scale, and dynamics. While I don't listen to classical much, when I put something on the largeness and impact is always there.

Jazz is special on these speakers and when I first heard Ellington's "Blues in Orbit" in a demo, that is what clinched the speakers for me. One of my demo tracks is anything from Ray Brown's "Soular Energy" and the most common reaction I hear is "I've got to buy that album!"

I've got some rocker friends who come over to crank the system and they are never disappointed. Jeff Beck, Beatles, The Who, whatever, it all sounds great.

There may be some limitations to these speakers, but I have not found them with the music I listen to. I think you can get the Sophia 3's knowing they will be able to handle everything you play.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 06-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Thanks dave- congrats on your new sasha's and the lamms!!
I look forward to the S3's sometime this year! Hope it won't disappoint.
Anyone else here care to chime in.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Listener in Training

I've had two listening sessions at Beerdraft's and played a huge variety of tracks on his Sashas - everything from Krall to Beethoven's 9th 4th movement to Metallica and Midnight Sugar by Tsuyoshi Yamamoto. Together with his BAT components & Esoteric SACD player, it handled everything with aplomb.

We played a couple tracks off of the Stones' standard production Tattoo You CD. I'm very familiar with that album, having bought the LP the day it was released. The song "Heaven" is an old favorite. After nearly 30 years, I heard new things on that song. You're about to make a lifetime investment that you won't regret.

What will be feeding them?
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 06-19-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
You're about to make a lifetime investment that you won't regret.

What will be feeding them?
that is a always a good thing as these speakers are a significant step up in price from what i've used in the past.
I have not decided yet on which of my gears i'll be using with the S3s, but most likely, the lamm hybrid monoblocks. I listen to both analog & digital set-up but i much prefer the analog sound.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Dave gave you the scoop I think. They can do it all as far as I can tell.

We watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon last night (Yo Yo Ma solos -I'm a huge fan). The dynamics were incredible.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks !!!
Are most of you guys here using Transparent cabling for speaker cables on these Wilsons ?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:33 AM

I'm using my Kimber Select KS3033s with the Sophias. I'll be using my KS3038s with the MAXX3s.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks Aerosmith!! enjoy your new orange Sophias. They look gorgeous!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:54 PM

I am using Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables and interconnects. I am also using WSS interconnects and phono cable. So far, I have not even tried different wires and have been totally satisfied with what I am using.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9