AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 07-31-2020, 03:12 PM

I might add that the organization of the human genome can be fully explained by a toxin ingestion.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:36 PM

Toxins are an obvious source of a problem of mutations and effects on health for all living organisms on this planet. Well, even a cockroach is highly resistant to ionizing radiation that would kill us but not to man-made chemicals.

I'm going a bit deeper. I find it extremely odd that homo sapiens would be devoid of most of the hair, basic defense mechanisms and no survival instincts to speak of. Left alone in any unfamiliar environment we are struggling to survive without clothes, food, shelter, etc. Besides the slew of simple things that can kill us, such as a tooth infection left untreated, we also suffer from psychosis and schizophrenia... surprise, surprise, non-existent in animal kingdom.

At the same time we have not evolved one bit since the proposed 300,000 years ago. Evolution has not changed us. Primates are still all around us. Begs the question, why are we so different from our primates then? Intellect? Was it the intellect that made us lose the hair, the opposing thumbs on our feet, etc...

Surprise, surprise, monkeys have shown that they have a much better memory and cognitive skills solving memory puzzles at lightning speed compared to us. A gorilla was taught sign language... Surely our intellect was NOT the sole reason for the change.

Even Darwin warned that his work and theories on evolution should not be applied to human beings for anyone that truly understands his work.

Of course it could all be one giant coincidence and things may well be the way they appear but I find it extremely odd and unlikely that we are who we are without intervention.

The Sumerians that brought us so many things we as a modern society still use to this day have laid it out very elegantly of where we came from yet we refuse to believe THAT part.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Toxins are an obvious source of a problem of mutations and effects on health for all living organisms on this planet. Well, even a cockroach is highly resistant to ionizing radiation that would kill us but not to man-made chemicals.

I'm going a bit deeper. I find it extremely odd that homo sapiens would be devoid of most of the hair, basic defense mechanisms and no survival instincts to speak of. Left alone in any unfamiliar environment we are struggling to survive without clothes, food, shelter, etc. Besides the slew of simple things that can kill us, such as a tooth infection left untreated, we also suffer from psychosis and schizophrenia... surprise, surprise, non-existent in animal kingdom.

At the same time we have not evolved one bit since the proposed 300,000 years ago. Evolution has not changed us. Primates are still all around us. Begs the question, why are we so different from our primates then? Intellect? Was it the intellect that made us lose the hair, the opposing thumbs on our feet, etc...

Surprise, surprise, monkeys have shown that they have a much better memory and cognitive skills solving memory puzzles at lightning speed compared to us. A gorilla was taught sign language... Surely our intellect was NOT the sole reason for the change.

Even Darwin warned that his work and theories on evolution should not be applied to human beings for anyone that truly understands his work.

Of course it could all be one giant coincidence and things may well be the way they appear but I find it extremely odd and unlikely that we are who we are without intervention.

The Sumerians that brought us so many things we as a modern society still use to this day have laid it out very elegantly of where we came from yet we refuse to believe THAT part.
PHC1, this is tangential but you brought it up so I'll ask and this question is for anyone who reads this thread. Please keep answers short:

What is the main difference between humans and other species? Please keep answers to a line or two.

I'm listening to Dylan, Rolling Thunder through my XVX greatly enjoying this thread. Goin out to eat at Morton's tonight round about 6. Life in Wonderland can be grand. Also just received a batch of detailed pics from the computer graphics company doing the Project. Very mentally challenging and exciting. The Project concerns an immense geometrically perfect architectural structure not of this age built by an ET. It does not exist within Wonderland.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 07-31-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:53 PM

Charles, speech is the difference as are opposing thumbs to manipulate and create. Many species exhibit high levels of intelligence but none as advanced as ours as far as we know.

I think at this point it is pretty clear that our intellect is a blessing and a curse and one only needs to turn on the tv.

At the same time the highly intelligent dolphin is enjoying life and socialization with his kind and would go on doing so for millions of years in perfect harmony. I highly doubt the same future awaits mankind. We are destined to keep repeating mistakes until we destroy ourselves and everything around us. Once again unlikely that nature would intend that outcome but it WILL find a way towards harmony and equilibrium.

Last edited by PHC1; 07-31-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:00 PM

People often say that it's our higher order reasoning and problem solving skills, language skills, etc but that is far from correct.

A key difference, possibly not the main one between humans and other organisms is that we take much more than we need, eventually exhausting resources around us giving nothing or very little back to the planet developing no equilibrium with the world around us and other organsims in it.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 07-31-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
PHC1, this is tangential but you brought it up so I'll ask and this question is for anyone who reads this thread. Please keep answers short:

What is the main difference between humans and other species? Please keep answers to a line or two.

I'm listening to Dylan, Rolling Thunder through my XVX greatly enjoying this thread. Goin out to eat at Morton's tonight round about 6. Life in Wonderland can be grand. Also just received a batch of detailed pics from the computer graphics company doing the Project. Very mentally challenging and exciting. The Project concerns an immense geometrically perfect architectural structure not of this age built by an ET. It does not exist within Wonderland.

Best

Charles
People often say that it's our higher order reasoning and problem solving skills, language skills, etc but that is far from correct.

A key difference, possibly not the main one between humans and other organisms is that we take much more than we need, eventually exhausting resources around us giving nothing or very little back to the planet developing no equilibrium with the world around us and other organsims in it.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post

That is the reason why we are going to travel to other worlds, most likely and hopefully before we destroy earth.

We may destroy new worlds as well, but at that point we should be able to colonize multiple worlds.

If we don't do it on time, yes, we will be extinct.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 AM

Excellent answers but I point out that many species have languages, verbal skills. There's one basic thing that separates us. What is it?

Also I want to point out that in relation to the mystery of Rh neg blood type, it is essentially a disease of childbirth. One does not need to invoke aliens to explain it.

I emphasize that the way I understand things our progenitors passed the curse of the toxin to all their progeny. The curse was also passed on to the higher species in varying degrees. The organization of genome is there for all to examine and interpret.

Did the genome evolve and become what we see or was the genome severely injured? If the genome evolved, i.e is the product of random chance, then mutation is a good thing. Should mutation be discouraged? Why should we get in the way of a process that has created all that we see?
Old 08-01-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Excellent answers but I point out that many species have languages, verbal skills. There's one basic thing that separates us. What is it?

Also I want to point out that in relation to the mystery of Rh neg blood type, it is essentially a disease of childbirth. One does not need to invoke aliens to explain it.

I emphasize that the way I understand things our progenitors passed the curse of the toxin to all their progeny. The curse was also passed on to the higher species in varying degrees. The organization of genome is there for all to examine and interpret.

Did the genome evolve and become what we see or was the genome severely injured? If the genome evolved, i.e is the product of random chance, then mutation is a good thing. Should mutation be discouraged? Why should we get in the way of a process that has created all that we see?
Charles the answer is here but if one reads the article and thinks deeper into it, one will lean towards “intervention” of a higher intelligence.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-us-different/

We spent the next year finding out all we could about the evolutionary history of HAR1 by comparing this region of the genome in various species, including 12 more vertebrates that were sequenced during that time. It turns out that until humans came along, HAR1 evolved extremely slowly. In chickens and chimps—whose lineages diverged some 300 million years ago—only two of the 118 bases differ, compared with 18 differences between humans and chimps, whose lineages diverged far more recently. The fact that HAR1 was essentially frozen in time through hundreds of millions of years indicates that it does something very important; that it then underwent abrupt revision in humans suggests that this function was significantly modified in our lineage

Last edited by PHC1; 08-01-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:22 AM

PHC1. here's a quote from the 2006 article:

"Based on patterns in the HAR1 sequence, we predicted that HAR1 encodes RNA—a hunch that Sofie Salama, Haller Igel and Manuel Ares, all at U.C. Santa Cruz, subsequently confirmed in 2006 through lab experiments. In fact, it turns out that human HAR1 resides in two overlapping genes. The shared HAR1 sequence gives rise to an entirely new type of RNA structure, adding to the six known classes of RNA genes. These six major groups encompass more than 1,000 different families of RNA genes, each one distinguished by the structure and function of the encoded RNA in the cell. HAR1 is also the first documented example of an RNA-encoding sequence that appears to have undergone positive selection."

Here is my comment. This is an RNA fragment not really a gene at all because it is too small to be a gene. True "RNA genes" are DNA sequences that code for things like ribosomes and tRNA's. Notice they give no explanation as to how these sequences accomplish anything because they cannot contribute to the body structure because they do not code for protein. Again, HAR1 is a DNA sequence that codes for an RNA fragment, not a protein or enzyme. It represents malfunction, not function.

Positive selection, means conservation and the word "appears" is just that. A protein like insulin doesn't "appear" to be conserved, it is conserved because without it we would die. It's all about interpretation. There is no question that 45% of the genome is retroviral. It is dangerous and damaging. Another 30% is intronic. Introns are DNA sequences that are spacers between the exons. Introns contain an occasional pseudogene. Pseudogenes are non functioning genes. 1% is exonic (codes for protein). Some estimates for retroviral DNA are as high as 67%. So this leaves 3% to 25% as potential "RNA genes". They have looked very hard at this 3%-25% and you are looking at an article about this "look", i.e. investigation because it is very puzzling to them. It's pure speculations and false assumptions resulting in false conclusions that a sequence of 118 DNA bases that do not code for protein does anything useful at all.

These folks are smart. They are doing research to attempt to explain WHY the genome is so utterly full of crap. I see right through their intentions. You make a false assumption: that what you see is the product of random chance, and then attempt to explain what you see on that basis. Attempting to use RNA fragments to explain the "evolutionary" differences between chips and humans fall flat.

HAR1 doesn't "prove" evolution. Our genome has been hit hard by a toxin and they are looking at the result of the toxin through "evolutionary eyes" and arriving at totally erroneous conclusions. All primate genomes have been hit by the same toxin. All primate genomes are severely malfunctioning just as are ours. Primate genomes are full of the same gibberish as ours to varying degrees.

Essentially, these researchers are "proving" that damage can have a useful function. I wish them good luck. Actually I don't, because this is a classic example of useless research based on a false paradigm. These "RNA genes" once had a useful purpose and did introns as did the retroviral portion of our genome. Our genome has been radically altered by a poison. Our genome attempts to function otherwise we would be dead. Something that functions only to a degree of what it used to be, is, by definition, malfunctioning.

Now here is my answer to the question as to what separates us from other species: My answer is self awareness. We are the only species that is aware that it is aware. Put another way: We are a collection of atoms belonging to the periodic table that is aware that it is a collection of these atoms. This amazing fact cannot be explained by any sequence of DNA.

You are entirely a product of your DNA. Your personality and everything that makes you, you is fixed at birth. So how can you or I be held responsible for anything, including our actions? That's the 64 dollar question.

PHC1, I appreciate your interest so much. Perhaps someone will read my answers and your cogent insightful opinions and questions. Although I reside in Wonderland, I'm not a genuine member of the Queen's court anymore. If the Queen knew how I felt about her, she would have my head. I like my head. I am commanded to live a peaceful and quiet life. I am commanded to give an account of my views but always being reverential to other folks' opinions and views. Sometimes, I admit I fail but I hope I am getting better at it.

Last edited by Charles; 08-02-2020 at 06:39 AM.