AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 01-08-2016, 05:41 AM

He was shot by a freaking bowcaster.

Bowcaster - Wookieepedia - Wikia

Quote:
The latest known bowcaster that Wookiee warrior and Rebel hero Chewbacca created was during the era of the Galactic Empire. It was an unconventional design, as Chewbacca had used the frame and power pack of a stormtrooper blaster.[1] Additionally, Chewbacca's weapon was also fitted with an automatic cocking system, which traditional models lacked.[7]
Bowcasters were much more powerful than standard blaster rifles, meaning few humans were capable of carrying one around, let alone hold it level and steady for a precise shot.[8] However, this statistic was challenged by Han Solo on numerous occasions during the First Order–Resistance conflict, in which he became fond of the weapon.[6]
When Finn used it on a stormtrooper, it blast through his armor and sent him back flying 20m
Old 01-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Semi-audiophile

I saw it again, and felt more comfortable with the flow. It made a bit more sense, as the first time I was too busy watching it to really take it in. No need for a third time, unless a friend wants to go. And I think that one doesn't need to have seen the previous movies necessarily, but it would be helpful to have an idea of what went on in them (the first three, not the prequels) in order to appreciate some of the references.

Watching the trailer, I realize how beautiful the music is. When the familiar themes are slowed down as they are in the trailer, they're quite poignant. I almost get choked up.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 01-18-2016, 08:58 PM

I'm probably in the minority here, but as a lifelong STAR WARS enthusiast, I hated THE FORCE AWAKENS. I'm copying and pasting an informal review of sorts I originally posted on my facebook page:

*********SPOILERS

The FARCE is strong with STAR WARS - THE FORCE AWAKENS... and that is not a typo. A pseudo-reboot/re-make/re-imagining/re-hash of basically every single relevant event and narrative device from "A NEW HOPE" (a.k.a. "the" original STAR WARS), the film is unequivocally and unbelievably flawed on so many crucial, fundamental levels, that I feel as if a part of my childhood died this past weekend; and, yes, I realize that sounds terribly like hyperbole (not to mention cliched) and no, George Lucas had nothing to do with it this time. In fact (dare I say it?), I would easily rank Lucas' "REVENGE OF THE SITH" (as disappointing as that film most definitely was) above this new seventh episode, whose sole purpose seems to be the perpetuation of tried-and-true formulas so endemic in today's Hollywood (where movies are merely "set-ups" for other movies instead of self-contained stories which may or may not interconnect, all in the name of "universe-building", ie: cow-milking), at the expense of developing Lucas’ fantasy space opera and universal themes in any meaningful, exciting new way. The film basically "plays it safe" and suffers from a severe, alarming lack of imagination, with a script that feels at least 3 drafts away from finished. Pretty much every single audience demographic is offered an identifying character, and most of them deliver humorous lines in an excessive manner, and (surprise, surprise) often-times aimed at the lowest-common denominator. This is, after all, a Disney film directed by J. J. Abrams, who, as feared, was certainly not the right choice for this project, unless you consider "competent" good enough. The Force Awakens is spectacular in all the usual ways, of course, but there’s a difference between spectacular and spectacle, and (think about this for a second), there is not a SINGLE scene that stands-out when it comes to special effects and/or visually amazing set-pieces, which are a staple of all the STAR WARS films and one of the main reasons for their success. Abrams simply offers NOTHING that you have not seen before. Even the planets, which are all technically new, are identical to what came before (ie: Jakku is Tatooine, etc.) Abram's STAR WARS looks nothing like a galaxy far, far away, but like Ireland, Iceland and Africa instead. Again, this is merely a re-make and re-imagining of everything that came before. Entertaining? Yes. Good enough? Sure. Big and bombastic? I guess. But dig under the surface and you will find that "size matters not", but good story-telling does. And the story here is merely a Macguffin that concludes with YET ANOTHER Death Star exploding (and possibly the most anemic X-Wing battle sequence in the saga... did I count only about 10 X Wings in there? Oh, we even get another overweight pilot, a la Porkins in EPISODE IV)... THE FORCE AWAKENS is a distilled STAR WARS film, quicker, easier, more seductive, just like the Dark Side, but ultimately empty. And make no mistake: STAR WARS should not be content with "good enough"....

My second biggest issue with the film (after the blatant re-hashing of the plot of EPISODE IV, etc.) is the weakness of the main villain himself. You are in big trouble if your villain does not work nor pose a genuine threat, specially when you have Darth Vader as your precursor. Kylo Ren is basically a wimpy, puerile pseudo-sith, a Darth Vader emo-groupie who throws temper-tantrums at the air three times too many and would be more at home in a TWILIGHT film instead. Amazingly enough, he is so strong with the force that he can freeze a blaster shot in mid air (something that not even Yoda nor Palpatine could do before) and yet he gets his ass served by Ray (who is obviously Luke's daughter and trained in the Force, and whose memory has more than likely been erased to "protect" her) in 3 minutes flat, and almost by Finn (who has no Force training at all and, as a stormtrooper, is able to get rid of his "conditioning" all too easily)...

What else? Where do I start? You can see Han Solo's big scene coming a mile away, and since we know almost nothing about the father/son relationship, nor do we see them interacting in a previous scene, there is no emotional pay-off nor any gravitas whatsoever. One of the greatest characters in cinema history is killed off in the most pathetic of ways, probably because that was the only way Harrison Ford would accept to reprise the role instead of because it served any purpose, narrative-wise. Harrison, I hope you are happy now... Also, wouldn't it have been so much better and dramatic if we had seen Kylo Ren removing his ant-eater helmet for the first time in this scene? Come to think of it, why on Tatooine does he even need a helmet? Oh, I forgot that he's grandaddy's biggest groupie... Captain Phasma was a joke, and a waste, plain and simply. Just another toy to add to the ridiculously bloated merchandise line... Chewbacca barely reacts after Han's death, and there is no formal funeral scene, not even a brief moment where characters stop to react and reflect on what transpired (unlike what happened with Padme and Obi-Wan in the past, for example)... Carrie Fisher, bless her soul, looks terrible, but not nearly as terrible as the CGI they applied on her face in the last scene, and there is ZERO chemistry between her and Ford this time... the CGI octopus in the Falcon scene looks terrible as well, as does the falcon itself when it bounces back and forth and defies gravity time and time again (the interior, which was a real set, looks spectacular, though).... I could have done without the bounty-hunters scene altogether (another example of Abrams trying to cram as much action as possible in a story that needed more quiet moments)... The Nazi overtones in the General Hux speech sequence are so blatant, and Domhnall Gleeson's "acting" here so cartoonish and over-the-top, that one can not help but laugh at the silliness of it all... Peter Cushing, you are sorely missed... Supreme Leader Snoke is possibly the lamest CGI character this side of 1991. A huge let-down, visually, and of course they'll throw a big "Wizard Of Oz" moment at us by the time we finally get his big reveal in the next episode (plus, I get the feeling he is Darth Plagueis)... Who is who in this thing anyway? If The First Order is the new Empire, what was the point of RETURN OF THE JEDI?...

John Williams phoned in his score, I hate to admit it, and this is no exaggeration if we consider that the recording took place literally days before the actual release of the film and the CD doesn't even have a proper cover. By far the weakest soundtrack of the saga so far, with not even a new single leit-motif nor memorable melody (say what you will about the prequels, but they at least gave us jewels like "Duel Of The Fates" and "Battle Of The Heroes")... The actors all do great work, and Daisy Ridley is a revelation and, truth be told, carries most of the film....

I DID like certain moments, mind you, but overall, this was such a let-down. Simply put, I honestly have no desire to watch it again until the blu-ray release, and I suppose that says it all.

Last edited by esteban; 01-18-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

I haven't seen it yet... but so far it has raked in $1,871,953,000.00 and counting!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES

Last edited by Masterlu; 01-18-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I haven't seen it yet... but so far it has raked in $1,871,953.00 and counting
I think you Need to add these! ,000,
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-18-2016, 09:22 PM

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-18-2016, 09:41 PM

esteban, that was a VERY thoughtful and insightful review. I actually enjoyed the movie because I knew nothing about it, and just let it ride. It wasn't until a few days later did I try to critically review it in my head and pretty much came away with the same thoughts as you. Oh well, it is a good, fun ride if you just try not to analyze it. That's what I recommend people do!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
esteban, that was a VERY thoughtful and insightful review. I actually enjoyed the movie because I knew nothing about it, and just let it ride. It wasn't until a few days later did I try to critically review it in my head and pretty much came away with the same thoughts as you. Oh well, it is a good, fun ride if you just try not to analyze it. That's what I recommend people do!
That's the best way to enjoy it. Just sit back and have fun with it. It is after all, Sci Fi
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I haven't seen it yet
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 01-18-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad.Wagner View Post
Waiting for my Senior Discount
CAPE COD