AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 05-29-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Nope, sorry, meant to say 590. IÂ’ve stopped looking at the nomenclature since day one of acquiring the Luxman. My journey has been an exhaustive 30+ years with amps and speakers of various price ranges and brands coming and going to say the least. IÂ’ve found the Luxman to be a very sweet spot as well as a tremendous performer that offers richness and musicality I value over all other parameters. Can it be outdone? Yes it can. It will cost you multiples. IÂ’ve been there. Do I find I need to chase that pinnacle again? Absolutely not. Perfectly happy with the Luxman. As always, your personal goals and dreams may take you elsewhere, to the stratosphere and IÂ’m not here to tell you not to. Just sharing my own experience with the 590AXII class A gem of an integrated amp.
I’m in almost the exact same position myself. I’ve gone full circle with my system, and no longer seek that ultra-neutral, ultra-revealing system I used to, and instead favour the more relaxed, musical and emotional connection with the music, with that fuller and denser presentation, but without losing significant detail. Hence why I’m labouring the decision between the 590AXii and the 509X somewhat.
|||HOME CINEMA: JVC DLA-X70 Projector | Lumagen Radiance Mini | Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K 120" AT screen | Datasat RS20i | Aerial Acoustics LR5's, CC5 + 4 x SR3 Surrounds + 2 x LR3 Front Heights + 2 x Model 5B Wides (11.2) | 2 x Paradigm Reference Sub 1's | 3 x AB Systems 11000SE 1000W monoblocs + 6500SE 6-Channel 500W | Oppo BDP-95 | Netgear NeoTV 550 | NAD M50 | 24TB Synology 2413+ ||| HI-FI: Revel Ultima Salon 2 | Mark Levinson 532H | DAC - TBC | Pre-amp TBC | NAD M50 |||
Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
I’m in almost the exact same position myself. I’ve gone full circle with my system, and no longer seek that ultra-neutral, ultra-revealing system I used to, and instead favour the more relaxed, musical and emotional connection with the music, with that fuller and denser presentation, but without losing significant detail. Hence why I’m labouring the decision between the 590AXii and the 509X somewhat.
Based on everything I’ve heard from other people including a dealer is that the 590 is just a tad sweeter and richer sounding and if you are not overtaxing the 590 it will keep up with the dynamics just as well as the 509. I love the tonal density and the dynamic contrast it can coax out of my speakers which are so good at the all important midrange for my ears. Not a trace of that cool and sterile, ultra detailed response at all. It has a meaty presentation without sounding micro detail challenged. Spotlighting the soundstage like some amps/speaker combos can however is not exactly its forte.. If you are looking for an amp that will allow you to hear the finest brush strokes on the snare for example, it may be a bit lacking. It still favors a rich and meaty “macro” rather than “micro” presentation. So if you like to analyze the recording with a magnifying glass, perhaps keep looking. If you are looking for a musically engaging and emotionally involving presentation, the 590 delivers in spades. Of course the speakers, DAC and front end will come into play here as well in the overall picture.

Last edited by PHC1; 05-29-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Here is the review from Stereophile. This unit should sell like hotcakes!

It's not quite as good as the L-590AX II, but very close.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...OGv26xRBzZX.01
Many seems to share this view - although the retailers claim the 'layering" is a lot more improved on the 509X. Havent heard either of these units unfortunately....
Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 AM

Smile

Quote:
Here is the review from Stereophile. This unit should sell like hotcakes!

It's not quite as good as the L-590AX II, but very close.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...OGv26xRBzZX.01
Hello GreginNH1, I was about to pick up the the 590AXii with the DAC 06 - and would like to get your view on picking that up against the combination of C / M 700 separates? If I were to put an additional US$1K, I can pick up the C/M 700 separates but without the DAC.

I've always had integrateds - and moving to try the Class A 590.

What would be sensible buy ? Could you kindly respond ?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
Hello GreginNH1, I was about to pick up the the 590AXii with the DAC 06 - and would like to get your view on picking that up against the combination of C / M 700 separates? If I were to put an additional US$1K, I can pick up the C/M 700 separates but without the DAC.

I've always had integrateds - and moving to try the Class A 590.

What would be sensible buy ? Could you kindly respond ?
Pancho - sorry for the late response. I have come to the conclusion that the L-590AX II compared to the c/m 700 separates is almost a lateral move. The 590 is THAT good.

I have contemplated separates myself but would only consider the 900 pieces.

Greg
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 06-28-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Pancho - sorry for the late response. I have come to the conclusion that the L-590AX II compared to the c/m 700 separates is almost a lateral move. The 590 is THAT good.

I have contemplated separates myself but would only consider the 900 pieces.

Greg
Greg, wouldn’t you say they are bit different? I was under the impression the 700 separates have a sound signature similar to the 509X. The 509X has basically the same amp section as the m700 and the pre section a combo c700/900 (mostly 700 I imagine).

509 (Class A/B) and 590 (Class A) both being amazing amps, depends on preference.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eziggy View Post
Greg, wouldn’t you say they are bit different? I was under the impression the 700 separates have a sound signature similar to the 509X. The 509X has basically the same amp section as the m700 and the pre section a combo c700/900 (mostly 700 I imagine).

509 (Class A/B) and 590 (Class A) both being amazing amps, depends on preference.
eziggy - you are correct. The 509 resembles the sonic signature of the 700 combo slightly more than the 590. For me, the 590 is slightly more warm with slightly less bass slam than the 509 but it really boils down to personal preference and component synergy.

I am considering an upgrade to the 900 combo and will be auditioning this gear over the next few weeks.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 06-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Looking forward to your impressions, Greg. This is probably the only combo I'd consider for upgrading my Diablo 300.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 AM

I am considering an upgrade to the 900 combo and will be auditioning this gear over the next few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Oh just buy it already. You know that’s the endgame here. Stop pussy footing around it. [emoji16]
Old 06-29-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
eziggy - you are correct. The 509 resembles the sonic signature of the 700 combo slightly more than the 590. For me, the 590 is slightly more warm with slightly less bass slam than the 509 but it really boils down to personal preference and component synergy.

I am considering an upgrade to the 900 combo and will be auditioning this gear over the next few weeks.
For sure, it’s all about synergy. I really liked both amps, and probably would have gone with the 590 if Martin Logan panels weren’t already leaning towards the warm side.

When auditioning the 590, I heard the m900 amp and absolutely loved it. It was already out of budget, so purposely didn’t want to add in the c900 which would have ruined me until buying! I didn’t want to fully erode my excitement of getting the 509X.

Would be awesome to get your thoughts on the 900 pairing.