AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM

As a recent recent K-03X buyer, I can certainly identify with myjazz123's feelings. I wish I'd procrastinated a bit. But Dan has it right: still a great piece to be enjoyed and no reason for me to contemplate jumping on the merry-go-round any time soon.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjazz123 View Post
This is sucks big time. I juts bought K-01X. They have to introduce some kind of upgrade program. Do they care about us, customers?
I have seen that an upgrade is available. Cheers

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4music View Post
I have seen that an upgrade is available. Cheers

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Yes,...noted on the Japan-side site at present (note this does not yet indicate US or Europe availability of the upgrade or price for any other region than Japan or if the upgrade is available at locations outside Japan at all...).

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/vup/index.html

(Use Google Chrome and translate to your local language....)

ESOTERIC K-01X, DAC and USB input unit version upgrade service
(2018.02.06)
Products subject to version upgrade ESOTERIC super audio CD / CD player, "K-01X"
Version up cost 350,000 yen (tax excluded)
pick up, delivery Delivery expenses are not included.
Version upgrade number VUK-K 01 Xs
Reception start time From February 2018
Start of the service Started in April 2018
Version upgrade contents Replacement to the latest D / A converter circuit newly adopted in Xs edition.
ES-LINK Analog Support for current transmission.
USB input upgrade (DSD 22.5 MHz, PCM 768 kHz / 32 bit compatible, Bulk Pet compatible)
ESOTERIC K-03X, DAC and USB input unit version upgrade service
(2018.02.06)
Products subject to version upgrade ESOTERIC Super Audio CD / CD Player, "K-03X"
Version up cost 280,000 yen (excluding tax)
pick up, delivery Delivery expenses are not included.
Version upgrade number VUK-K 03 Xs
Reception start time From February 2018
Start of the service Started in April 2018
Version upgrade contents Replacement to the latest D / A converter circuit newly adopted in Xs edition.
ES-LINK Analog Support for current transmission.
USB input upgrade (DSD 22.5 MHz, PCM 768 kHz / 32 bit compatible, Bulk Pet compatible)
Old 02-07-2018, 04:37 PM

Between the import mark-up and “older” models now being worth even less, one has to be very dedicated to the brand and the whole idea that a $20k or higher CDP or DAC is worth it. Most of the the audio companies are all too happy to crank out the new models as fast as they can and the upgrade-titis is as real as any other addiction out there so why not exploit it.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Between the import mark-up and “older” models now being worth even less, one has to be very dedicated to the brand and the whole idea that a $20k or higher CDP or DAC is worth it. Most of the audio companies are all too happy to crank out the new models as fast as they can and the upgrade-titis is as real as any other addiction out there so why not exploit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjazz123 View Post
Dan, I agree the K-01x is great player, but that AKM chip 4497 is much more analog sounding without loosing any resolving power the esoteric is famous for. Plus 35bit algorithm to convert signal may also make difference. With that pace of the introducing new models, the Esoteric should provide with upgrade opportunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
current one is 35 bit as well.

PHC: Agreed,..for me though the is more than simply brand loyalty,...it's the sound signature being what I am looking for overall and the build quality. My old P-03U/D-03 stood by me 9+ years and was still rock solid when I sold it; the current owner is in Romania if memory serves with the units still kicking butt and taking names 3 years later...that's 12+ years still going strong. The P-0s and P-0 VUK of MANY years ago are also out there in many audiophiles' systems running flawlessly with alot more than 12 years playing time.

To the rest of the comments on DACs, resolution, etc...

Agreed,...the current one is 35-bit as is the K1. It's not the AKM DACs that are 35-bit though and many people get hung up on this; all AKM present DACs in any level we would all care about are 32-bit with differences in how they process the D->A, the resultant sound signature, filters, etc....

It's Esoteric's implementation overall of which the AK4497 (K1, K-01Xs, K-03x), AK4495S (in the K-01X, D1) and AK4490 (D-02X) and the rest of the circuitry that Esoteric surrounds them with that achieves either 35-bit or 36-bit 'processing'. Esoteric just seems to find a way, even with the old tried and true work horse of the audio industry, the Burr Brown 1704 used in the D-01 and D-01 VUK prior reference generation, to make a better built and better sounding implementation than other vendors using the exact same DAC chips (IMHO).

I've heard the K1 twice now, both times in extremely fine systems, one being an all Grandioso system and I've heard the K-01X, the 4-box stack and frankly I think the AK4497 is a wonderful DAC, very well rounded, etc..and very analog sounding however, it does not, to my ears (opinion, discard as you see fit) and as implemented in the K1 (so caveat this too), the same transparency and overall detail as the D-02X and D1 put out. The D-02X and D1 being the overall best combination to my ears of Esoteric's famed level of detail, transparency, imaging, tonal balance, deep, impact-filled bass that's ultra-fast and upper frequency and mid-range beauty and transients, air, etc...that seem to never stop.

My only complaint is there is no warning of what will hit the street and with various model intros, some have bought only to have something new hit the street without warning 1-few weeks later. I'm hanging on to what I have for now and will wait and see what happens with the K1, P1/D1 and P-02X/D-02X. There is no info out there at all about changes but I wonder if we'll see anything new pop up in the P1/D1 and 02X lineup anytime soon

In the meantime, my P-02/D-02 still sounds better to me cabled and powered as they are than anything from any other vendor including 2-box and 4-box stack offerings from other vendors I heard last year in friends' setups. Those are 4-5 year old units if memory serve and they are still market-leaders to my ears,...everything up the scale is inciting a lot of upgradeitis on my part however, the waves of change are still coming in out of Japan and my sense is that I will wait a bit more, continue to love what I own and look for the right time to make that all-important 'bet' at the gaming table of audiophile nervosa
Old 02-07-2018, 05:58 PM

The K-03X is absolutely amazing.Before i decide to buy mine i make an A/B direct comparison with a Grandioso full stack in a Soulution 700 line electronics/Magico Q7 speakers setup.
I note as much a 5% difference in sound quality between both and i am an audiophile the last 20 years, my girlfriend "zero audiophile" directly don't note any difference at all.
The X line put the digital reproduction at their highest level, maybe in 10 or 15 years i will think in upgrade my digital source
Old 02-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Great response Mark.

What's a DAC chip??

Best Sirs,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 02-07-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:12 PM

My K-01x + G-02x are fantastic. I don't feel like upgrading for just a chip. Really not worth it IMHO. Now if they upgraded the remote capabilities...lol...
Old 02-07-2018, 06:13 PM

It’s just an excuse for a price increase. I came off the upgrade Merry Go Round years ago and now upgrade every 4-5 yearsif that. Just because something is new does not make it better. Look at sonus faber , no more Strads or Elipsa
Old 02-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Racing Hoopties

David, I would like to hope that Esoteric is truly trying to advance the art and improve the sound. I think they need to keep developing products to take advantage of the ever evolving DAC chip technology to remain competitive. Of course, along the way, it is a justification to try and raise prices as the competition allows.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack