AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
A great tube pre is Convergent and Octave-> the ARC dont can play at the same level.no way.
+1
Old 08-27-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Totally disagree. Arc pre's work well with many brands of amplifiers. I even see high end systems at shows set up that way, like vandersteen.
Hi Marc,

You are totally correct. In fact, Richard Vandersteen primarily uses ARC linestage preamps (REF6 & REF10) and phonostage preamps (REF3 & REF10) for his M7-HPA monoblock amps. It is a sublime combination.

Ken
Old 08-27-2016, 08:56 PM

I submit at this level we are talking about different sonic signatures and preferences. My friend has two great systems: 1) Raidho speakers with Adsolare electronics, 2) An all MBL system. Both sound fantastic, but both have different sonic signatures. I'm not looking for a "better" preamp, but a different sonic signature, that may or may not enhance my enjoyment of music. I'm trying very hard to stop saying, product "A" is better than product "B"...at least at this level.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 08-29-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:38 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I submit at this level we are talking about different sonic signatures and preferences. My friend has to great systems: 1) Raidho speakers with Adsolare electronics, 2) An all MBL system. Both sound fantastic, but both have different sonic signatures. I'm not looking for a "better" preamp, but a different sonic signature, that may or may not enhance my enjoyment of music. I'm trying very hard to stop saying, product "A" is better than product "B"...at least at this level.

The analogy I have used in the past to descibe this phenomena is the following. It's not necessarily better as you mentioned just "different". The same thing to those who choose an "affair" because they are bored or curious. The other person isn't necessarily better, just "different". I am also going to state for the record, not speaking from experience.

Last edited by Sharp 1080; 08-29-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 View Post
The analogy I have used in the past to descibe this phenomena is the following. It's not necessarily better as you mentioned just "different". The same thing to those who choose an "affair" because they are bored or curious. The other person isn't necessarily better, just "different". I am also going to state for the record, not speaking from experience.
A little funny, but I agree.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
Hi, sorry Ricjor1 what are the others "gears" from your system? the JR Corus is a amazing pre and if you have too power ampli JR stay with the Curos. ARC Ref6 is a good pre with the ARC ampli -> combo Ref6 & Ref75, Ref6 & mono 250,... but not outside your "ARC world". A great tube pre is Convergent and Octave-> the ARC dont can play at the same level.no way. of course my taste....
ARC preamps have a reputation for being flexible with a wide range of power amplifiers, solid state and tubed. I've used many different preamps and can say that ARC pre's were excellent mates to many power amplifiers I've owned. Of course synergy is key and it's always to be expected two like branded components will play best with each other.

Last edited by elem79; 08-31-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 PM

I used my ARC 5SE with the Hegel H-30, Classe 600M and D'Agostino. Very good match with these as well as the ARC amps.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:00 AM

ARC preamps typically prefer high input impedance power amps (like their own ;-))
My experience is that otherwise dynamics and openness of sound are compromised.
They are also capable of high output levels so low amplification factor amps are most suitable.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:39 AM

I am the new owner of a Ref 5SE and am simply blown away by the spacial separation and inner detail improvement over my Ref1. Not sure I'll ever move to a Ref6 but can only imagine your trill of owning and enjoying the very best.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 09-01-2016, 04:59 PM

If you want a big improvement of your ref5, change your for a sr black. You will be surprised.