AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Default IB question Thanks Ian

Ian,

Can you please explain the difference between the IB1 and the IB2.

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Ian,

Can you please explain the difference between the IB1 and the IB2.

Thanks,

Stephen
Stephen,

Same piston nomex bass driver, same tweeter (in the studio version, but not in the i-series version... The IB1 is not available in an "i" but the IB2 is.) The one component that seperates the two is the 75mm PMC handmade softdome midrange. Imaging & power handling are remarkably superior. The IB2 is actually the companies favorite model. It is small enough to fit in smaller rooms and like all PMC's conveys all the detail and nuance of a good recording at low levels like a near field can... But can rock balls to the wall with the MB2 & BB5. You really get the best of worlds... My favorite aspect of the IB's though, is the Piston Nomex driver, it can give you the impact of kick drum and the weight and tone nickel bass strings. It really makes for a pretty enthralling listening experience.

However If you are looking at the IB1 I would recommend the EB1i, new solonex tweeter and bass extension to 19hz flat, and a sweet veneer to boot.

Hope this helps
Ian
Old 04-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks Ian,

Very Helpful.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Hi Ian,

I'm about to buy either the MB2i or IB2i but I wonder why is it that the IB2i is the companies favorit?

Robert.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Hi Ian,

I'm about to buy either the MB2i or IB2i but I wonder why is it that the IB2i is the companies favorit?

Robert.
The IB2i is a better value price wise. I use to own the IB2's excellent speaker with deep bass and smooth midrange.

John
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Ian,

How about an IB2 Center with the EB1i's.

Would this be a good match, instead of using a CB6i for the centre. Or would there be timbre matching problem because of the better midrange on the IB2.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:01 PM

The IB2i and the IB2S are the company favorites because of their ability to step up to the performance of the MB's and BB's, but you are actually able to lift it by yourself. Whereas with the MB's... Not so much. With the bigger models you have to have a bigger room, with the IB you can get massive and deeply detailed sound, in a relative small room.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM

@ adol...

An IB center with EB's would work, but at that point, why not have an IB2 LCR? The difference with the EB MF driver and the IB2 MF driver is pretty significant. From wider and flatter frequency dispersion to higher power handling, the PMC 75mm Soft dome would get the highest recommendation.

As far as timbre matching, the difference would not be one of great concern. With EB's you would already be at a level of resolution that is very comfortable to listen to. I've seen systems mixed and matched in most configurations. I've seen some people who actually prefer the bigger and better center over what the L&R would be. With an IB2 center your surround would just be kicked up to a higher level with the performance the IB2 yields.. As with surround your center channel is doing a lot more. I don't know what your listening would be consisting of, with more broadcast, or more surround music & cinema, or more two channel, or evenly with all of the above.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your quick response and clear explanation. The MB2's are indeed quite big and heavy. In addition to Adol's question would the MB2 with IB2 centre be considered as a good match? Ofcouse 3 IB2s would be prefered as you mentioned.

Regards
Robert.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM

IB2's with MB2 center? That is a pretty massive center channel... I would say EB's with a IB center would be more practical based on cabinet size alone. But practicality can easily be thrown out the window when talking about surround playback at the level of MB2i's

That said, sensitivity is relatively close between the two. 89db for IB, and 91db for MB.... So it's not a major disparity between the two. My question would then be: Are you going to be powering these with three Mono amps?.... Or a stereo amp between the L&R and a mono for your center? The power handling on the MB2i is significantly higher... And big PMC's love big powerful amplifiers. So that would be something to take into account.... With an IB2 LCR you could achieve very nice results with a three channel Bryston 9BSST2, or what have you. This would work with an EB1 & IB2-C as well. With IB2 & MB2-C your going to have to think about the level at which you want to rock.