AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 10-20-2015, 01:12 AM

Instead of using electric tape rather try Teflon tape(white plumbing tape) as it only takes a few raps for a perfect fit and none of the sticky residue , this worked well back in the day before I switched to PS Audio's outlets and Perfectwave cables
Old 10-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofan1 View Post
Instead of using electric tape rather try Teflon tape(white plumbing tape) as it only takes a few raps for a perfect fit and none of the sticky residue , this worked well back in the day before I switched to PS Audio's outlets and Perfectwave cables
I may check that out. It comes only in white?

I attached a photo. I dusted on Saturday, and already dust is accumulating (sigh). On the right side of the photo you can see a couple of WW Stratus IECs drooping downward; one is the BD player, the other an LD player (albeit with a C7 adaptor). The preamp has an Electra on it, and since it's only 1m I was able to rearrange it so that the IEC is better propped up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0158.jpg (94.5 KB, 118 views)
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-21-2015, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I may check that out. It comes only in white?

I attached a photo. I dusted on Saturday, and already dust is accumulating (sigh). On the right side of the photo you can see a couple of WW Stratus IECs drooping downward; one is the BD player, the other an LD player (albeit with a C7 adaptor). The preamp has an Electra on it, and since it's only 1m I was able to rearrange it so that the IEC is better propped up.
Yeah! the Teflon tape only comes in white but you wont see it once plugged in as it should only take a few wraps to get a snug fit
Old 10-21-2015, 06:36 AM

There's fashionable yellow too (for natural gas fittings).
Old 10-21-2015, 08:45 AM

I don't have the problem with my current gear (Shunyata cables and Linn electronics) but used to with previous equipment. I used to push a small sliver of wood or shim under the bottom of the IEC plug to support it, and that worked effectively as long as not disconnecting and reconnecting often. It sounds a little cheesy but was quite effective. Of all things, Stim-U-Dent tooth picks made handy shims.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I don't have the problem with my current gear (Shunyata cables and Linn electronics) but used to with previous equipment. I used to push a small sliver of wood or shim under the bottom of the IEC plug to support it, and that worked effectively as long as not disconnecting and reconnecting often. It sounds a little cheesy but was quite effective. Of all things, Stim-U-Dent tooth picks made handy shims.
I'd like to think I won't be doing much connecting/disconnecting now, but just bumping around behind the system can be inadvertent trouble. That happened as I was reconnecting everything after having moved the system forward. I'll probably move the speakers out two or three inches, too. No power cords with those!

On the other hand, I'll have to disconnect to dust thoroughly. Uh oh.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-21-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
The WW Series 7 seems not much better in this regard. If anyone wants to chime in, which power cord brands grip the best in your experience?
Same none of the WW Series 7 I own grip very well at all. I had to also add tape for retention.

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000

Last edited by blacsno; 10-22-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:39 PM

Same experience here with the WW cables. They used to dip 5-10 degrees depending the the machine they were hooked up to. Never tried to tape them. But the flexibility in the cable itself made up for the ease of use and handling.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:58 AM

hmm I wonder if these reports of less then secure/droopy WireWorld IEC connections have to due with the new connectors?? I wonder if this would be the same with the connectors used on what was it the 6 series or maybe even older than that?

Isn't the Platinum one a bit different? If so are similar issues observed?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 AM

D'oh, I guess my question was already answered, prepress mentioned the 5 series so this goes back a number of series and seems to be getting better over time I guess as the series progresses??