1. Parasound P5 pre-amp
2. Two (2) Emotiva UPA-1 amplifiers
3. Belkin Pro-Theater power center/surge protector
4. Yulong Sabre D18 digital to analog converter
5. SimAudio Moon MiND 180 streamer
6. Streamer app on an iPad
7. Vienna Acoustic Mozart speakers
8. Arcam T61 tuner

On Friday the 13th, my new lucky day , I wandered into the local Goodwill just to have a look. It's been over a year since I was last in and didn't really have anything in mind but I was there just on a whim.

I immediately spotted a silver faced receiver in the back and when I got closer I saw that it was a Yamaha CR-1020 receiver! It was in good condition based on its appearances but, as we all know, the real story is told when you first plug it in. The case, face and back panel were all in excellent shape so I decided it was worth losing $35 to take it home and go from there. Besides, I have a soft spot (in my head) for old Yamaha gear.

I did a little testing during the past week and all I ended up with that was even marginal was the loudness control and the audio muting controls were scratchy plus the left SP Out meter bulb is not working. Cleaned the controls but left the bulb alone as 1) I will do an LED upgrade to it later, and, 2) I was impatient to get it working.

I boxed up the other system components I wasn't going to use preparing to send them along to new owners and put the Yamaha into service.

Luckily I have a pair or two of extra speaker cables laying around (just in case, mind you) and with a change from spades to those tiny little banana plugs that fit into the spring clips on the back of this era unit, I was almost good to go.

There's no provision for a 75 ohm coaxial antenna connection on the back of the Yamaha but I did have a dipole so that went into service vs. the powered antenna I was using earlier. I may swap out the dipole for the powered antenna if I can find an adapter for a 75 ohm coax to 200 ohm spade connector. The dipole is extremely sensitive to movement in the room based on its orientation and proved to be a bit less than optimum. Too bad Radio Shack closed up here recently.

I reused the DAC and the streamer, along with a Panamax power center and surge protector I had held in reserve. I also left the Mozart speakers in place.

Anyway, enough rambling...but there was one other thing to deal with...the Yamaha was TOO BIG for my rack! Oh well, extra toy chests come in handy for all kinds of things.

Here's the temporary setup which will eventually change with a better stand/storage solution (short 2 level bookshelf maybe?) and maybe the powered antenna.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:31 PM

All that goodness for only $35. As the car auction guys on TV would say - "Well bought". I like the retro looks.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 PM

Wow, beautiful receiver Michael, what a steal! That's quite a system change, how's the sound?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 PM

Thanks, guys.

Tony...it is quite the change in sound and appearance. The sound is warm and clear. Less detail than what I experience with the downstairs system but very very nice. I'm still tweaking on the loudness, high end, mids and bass settings & filters but given what it is, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

My Yamaha "soft spot" started with this stack:

I learned how to do rudimentary repairs by digging into that stack with some basic tools, a meter, a soldering iron and a stack of service manuals a few years ago. Some of that stack went on to new owners and some of it I use to this day.

This was quite the change and it gave me an opportunity to work on another Yamaha unit and save it from eventual recycling.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Michael,
Wow, what a sweet deal! That Yamaha is a beautiful receiver. I'm a long time fan of Yamaha and never pass up the opportunity to stare at their shiny face. I had a similar model many years ago and still regret parting with it. Looking forward to your progress reports.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Michael...Congrats on the nice find!
Yamaha made some very respectable and good sounding gear. I can understand your attraction.
Their CT-7000 tuner from 1975 is still considered to be one of the best performing/musical every made.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 PM

Terry...Seriously, I just lucked out but when I saw the 1020 sitting on the shelf I was pretty sure it was coming home with me unless it was totally trashed.

David...Thank you! I've enjoyed owning, repairing and using Yamaha gear for some time and the only thing I wish this Yamaha had was the model designation CR-3020.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:02 PM

THAT is incredible.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

There is a 75 ohm connection, it is just old school direct connect to the coax! Wonderful receiver. Grab a CR2040 for the best of the lot in my opinion. solid gear, and the best receivers IMHO
Enjoy,
Jim
Old 08-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Micheal,
I totally understand, my Vintage rig sports a Yamaha C70 preamp driving tube Conn 6L6 PP monoblocks.
Enjoy,
Jim