AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-24-2019, 07:45 PM

Default Do I need to install an extra wall-outlet for connecting Delta 6

I have a question for Caelin or Grant. I am planning to order the new Shunyata Hydra Delta 6 power conditioner. I have two dedicated 20A powerlines (Belden cable) directly from a separate phase from the central mains distribution board.
Instead of connecting the cable to an electrical outlet in the wall, I used a female IEC connector (C19) directly connected to the powerline cable (so cable coming out of the wall directly to a IEC connector).
So this connector could fit directly in the Delta 6 conditioner.
Now my question is:

Do I for optimal SQ really need to install an audio-grade SR outlet attached to the Belden cable and use an extra power cable from the SR outlet to the Delta 6?

Or can I use the direct connection described above.

Your answer greatly appreciated!
Regards, Gerard
Old 12-25-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardJ View Post
I have a question for Caelin or Grant. I am planning to order the new Shunyata Hydra Delta 6 power conditioner. I have two dedicated 20A powerlines (Belden cable) directly from a separate phase from the central mains distribution board.

Instead of connecting the cable to an electrical outlet in the wall, I used a female IEC connector (C19) directly connected to the powerline cable (so cable coming out of the wall directly to a IEC connector).

So this connector could fit directly in the Delta 6 conditioner.

Now my question is:

Do I for optimal SQ really need to install an audio-grade SR outlet attached to the Belden cable and use an extra power cable from the SR outlet to the Delta 6?

Or can I use the direct connection described above.

Your answer greatly appreciated!

Regards, Gerard

This is one I’m curious on.

I would “think” local code would prevent this.

In terms of sound quality, going direct into distribution with a quality cable and termination seems to be the logical path but how much difference over the risk of code, (and I still don’t understand the risk), but does the dielectric being crossed patterned, shielded and other cord attributes play more a benefit from the receptacle than going direct? This brings us back to your question.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Having recently put in 3 dedicated lines from a subpanel, I was warned that if the installation didn’t meet local codes, any fire or hazard in the house would not be covered by my homeowners insurance policy even if the fire was not directly related to the new installation. Of course the work would also have to be signed off by the local building inspector too.
Wilson DAW, ARC 160M Mk 2, 250SE, Ref 6SE, Ref 3SE, CD9SE, VPI TNT6 w/rim drive, 12" Fatboy/3D/12.7, LP1 clamp, Lyra Etna Lambda SL, Kleos, Koetsu Onyx, Vermillion, U Gold, TA Gen 5 Reference cables, Shunyata Triton 2/Typhon, 2000T, Alpha PCs, Furutech NCF on 3 dedicated lines. Home Theater: Stewart 123" Firehawk, JVC RS-500, Panasonic 4K player, Marantz 8802a, Wilson Center3+surrounds, GoldenEar HTR7000, JL f113, Parasound A51 and Krell 250a/3.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:50 PM

“Can you do it?”
Of course you can do what you like. But as said, it will not pass code. And it is really inconvenient.

Have I actually done these experiments? Yes
Does it have performance advantage compared to a wall outlet and normal power cord? Yes

Is it a big difference? No

Is a direct connection connection superior to installing a CopperCONN outlet and a quality power (for instance the Venom-HC)? No the better PC will outperform the Belden wire even though the Belden has the advantage of eliminating a connection junction (outlet and AC plug)
Old 12-26-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
... I have two dedicated 20A powerlines (Belden cable) directly from a separate phase from the central mains distribution board.
So this connector could fit directly in the Delta 6 conditioner ...
As others have noted, this likely doesn't meet code, and prompts questioning whether other aspects of this install also fail to meet code.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:52 PM

In this case I believe you have to balance risk vs reward. According to Caelin's experience and in my humble opinion, the reward cannot be justified enough to risk electrical hazards and insurrance claims.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

While I agree of the thought not to terminate a cable direct to the panel, I’m still not clear why?

Potential to break it free by accident from the panel?
Old 12-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Caelin and others, thanks for your comments!

To clarify perhaps a bit more about the actual situation in my home:
The two dedicated powerlines for audio are installed by a certified electrical engineer. It is connected to a separate phase. Also have a separate earth pin installed for audio. The two electrical groups are each secured with a separate main switch and an audio-grade main fuse in the central distribution board.
A Belde cable was used for the wiring: Belden 19364 High Purity OFC double shielded with BeldFoil® and braided wire with braided jute for improved mechanical acoustic attenuation. So three 2.1mm2 wires per cable, a zero and a phase and one earth. It is said that the cable is ideal for the construction of an audio group from the main distribution board.

So, from this fuses two shielded Belden cables go through the wall to my living/listening room (about 8-9 meter). Instead of a wall mounted outlet these cables are originally connected to a sturdy 4-way power strip (shielded Belden cables came straight out the wall). This was officially installed by a certified electrician in 2001 and certified a few times since then by official electrical engineers! The only change I made is disconnecting the power strip (after turning off the switches of the powerlines in the distribution box and replace them by audio grade Furutech IEC C15 and C19 connectors.

I am surprised that most of you are concerned about safety here! I don’t see the extra hazard, apart from the fact that I am no fool and had a decent education at the technical university here in The Netherlands

Caelin, the Belden cable is in the wall and is a replacement of the traditional electrical wires. So I cannot easily remove them and replace it by a Shunyata cable. So the connection of an outlet and an extra power cable are all extra connections I would like to avoid if it serves SQ! But when it doesn’t than I will go for a CopperCONN outlet and a HC cable to connect the Delta6

Does this makes any sense to you?
Regards, Gerard
Old 12-27-2019, 09:53 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Caelin and others, thanks for your comments!

To clarify perhaps a bit more about the actual situation in my home:

The two dedicated powerlines for audio are installed by a certified electrical engineer. It is connected to a separate phase. Also have a separate earth pin installed for audio. The two electrical groups are each secured with a separate main switch and an audio-grade main fuse in the central distribution board.

A Belde cable was used for the wiring: Belden 19364 High Purity OFC double shielded with BeldFoil[emoji2400] and braided wire with braided jute for improved mechanical acoustic attenuation. So three 2.1mm2 wires per cable, a zero and a phase and one earth. It is said that the cable is ideal for the construction of an audio group from the main distribution board.

So, from this fuses two shielded Belden cables go through the wall to my living/listening room (about 8-9 meter). Instead of a wall mounted outlet these cables are originally connected to a sturdy 4-way power strip (shielded Belden cables came straight out the wall). This was officially installed by a certified electrician in 2001 and certified a few times since then by official electrical engineers! The only change I made is disconnecting the power strip (after turning off the switches of the powerlines in the distribution box and replace them by audio grade Furutech IEC C15 and C19 connectors.

I am surprised that most of you are concerned about safety here! I don’t see the extra hazard, apart from the fact that I am no fool and had a decent education at the technical university here in The Netherlands

Caelin, the Belden cable is in the wall and is a replacement of the traditional electrical wires. So I cannot easily remove them and replace it by a Shunyata cable. So the connection of an outlet and an extra power cable are all extra connections I would like to avoid if it serves SQ! But when it doesn’t than I will go for a CopperCONN outlet and a HC cable to connect the Delta6

Does this makes any sense to you?

Regards, Gerard

I totally understand what you did, using Belden Cable 14 AWG (gauge)

What I’m not getting is why is this against code at least least here in the U.S.?
Old 12-27-2019, 11:07 AM

This installation violates the following sections of NEC:

Receptacle Rating and Type

(A) Receptacles. They must be listed for the purpose. They must also be marked with the voltage and ampere ratings and well as the manufacturer's name or identification.

(D) Isolated Ground Receptacles. If there is an isolated ground connection for the reduction of electrical noise it must have an orange triangle on the face for identification.

IEC receptacles are not listed for mounting in wall boxes.

Having a separate audio ground requires you to ensure there is a low impedance path to ground. You must use an outlet with the appropriate orange triangle marking.

You cannot create an isolated ground without a path for fault current back to the source, a ground of low enough impedance to clear a fault by tripping a breaker.

NEC section 250 covers the use of isolated grounds.

Is the OP’s arrangement safe? Yes, if the isolated audio ground has a low impedance connection back to the panel ground.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v