AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 11-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Holy Smoke, Caelin. Wow!
Old 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Yeah I hear you. You know, we have to talk about it and explain the tech and all the materials but that just doesn’t really do it justice.

This is just something that requires a direct experience to truly grasp the significance.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:08 PM

What happens with the sound on connected electronics vs amps if you run this into a Triton V3?

Considering the cost, I think one obvious question is how would this cable component compare to the Typhon QR with a Sigma NR (in a Triton V3 application).

Would you use EF cables from the Triton V3 for components/amps then? If you have one Triton V3 for 3 larger amps and one Triton V3 for the sources/preamp electronics, which TritonV3 would net largest improvement thus be candidate for the first input Ohmega cable? Amp TritonV3 or frontend TritonV3?

I don't have space for Typhon QR's in my setup so that's why I'm curios. Or should I just wait a bit for something else coming? ;-)

OT: I recently built a Furutech DPS4.1 50% Mitsubishi DUCC copper for core and 50%OCC copper for outer layer with their NFC connectors. It has a certain communicative character of higher transmission capable cables but maybe not near silver? Have you tried the Mitsubish DUCC copper that promises larger crystals and less directionality than OCC copper?
Old 11-27-2019, 06:25 PM

RE: OT
We try everything. And if what’s available isn’t good enough in our view, we build our own. Hence the VTX-Ag wire and the CopperCONN connectors.

The OMEGA QR is a very highly focused cable. Targeted for use with exotic high power amplifiers. It is a power cord and can obviously be plugged into other components And likely will be. We prefer to recommend it for its primary purpose. I wouldn’t recommend it as a power conditioner cable. The Sigma EF or Alpha EF are better suited to that purpose.

Last edited by CGabriel; 11-27-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:42 PM

I see this cable is about the same price as the Typhon QR (though a Typhon requires the cost of a Sigma NR). I am using a Typhon QR for each monoblock (ARC Ref 160M). The Omega in the same application has the advantage of taking less rack space but the Typhon QR would have a much bigger volume of QR/BB. I wonder how these options compare for sound?
Old 11-28-2019, 01:09 AM

I have always felt that one of the drawbacks with Dags for me is that I want a power conditioner between my amp and the wall. Now it appears that amps like a Dag have found their ideal power cord. If I had a Dag, I would have to have this cord. I think you will sell a lot of them. Congrats for what seems to be a revolutionary piece of gear for high power high current amps that do not work particularly well with power conditioners! A much needed cord.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:09 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default Once again, redefining state of the art.

I remember certain power snakes prior to the CX series contained the patented FeSi noise reduction compound. If you moved the cable the compound would 'slither' around inside and it made a hissing sound. This was maybe 10 years ago. It was cool.

Will the Omega QR hiss?
Old 11-28-2019, 09:49 AM

Thanks Charles.

No hissing, Tim
Old 11-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have always felt that one of the drawbacks with Dags for me is that I want a power conditioner between my amp and the wall. Now it appears that amps like a Dag have found their ideal power cord. If I had a Dag, I would have to have this cord. I think you will sell a lot of them. Congrats for what seems to be a revolutionary piece of gear for high power high current amps that do not work particularly well with power conditioners! A much needed cord.
I think you nailed it, Charles!

From Caelin's description, I think this is exactly the application that the Omega QR was designed for.

I've think if you've got several components, e.g., Pre, DAC, phono stage, streamer, disc player, then the Triton V3 w/ Typhon QR or Denali V2 would be the optimal solution.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-28-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
I see this cable is about the same price as the Typhon QR (though a Typhon requires the cost of a Sigma NR). I am using a Typhon QR for each monoblock (ARC Ref 160M). The Omega in the same application has the advantage of taking less rack space but the Typhon QR would have a much bigger volume of QR/BB. I wonder how these options compare for sound?
That’s a tough one to answer, Adam. It is very system dependent.
My advice is this; If you are a Typhon owner, do not sell it to buy an Omega. Since we only longer make Typhons I believe that they will become collectors items. In a direct comparison, and in my system, I prefer the Omega. But there are many variables including the two power cords involved. The Omega has inherent DTCD advantages since it does not have multiple connectors, internal contacts and a circuit breaker. But the biggest difference in favor of the Omega are the new VTX-Ag conductors. They are simply superior to those used in any other power cord including our own. As you noted, the Typhon has a huge advantage in that the size of the QR/BB is massively larger. So there are trade-offs and some people will prefer the Typhon setup over the Omega I am sure. There are future developments that will change the equation in favor of the Typhon.

But that said you may want to try an Omega on your preamp or DAC. Although it was designed specially for amplifiers, beta testers are already trying it on other devices with great effect. Talk to your buddy SCAudiophile.