AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 04-04-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
I have not found this to be the case on my rig. Tidal is always stuttering - especially on MQA tracks, even after software upgrades.

I occasionally experience the same issues with Tidal at the office as well.

Ok, maybe it was serendipity. My stuttering stopped after I updated my app/N10. Maybe Tidal improved their network in my area?

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Mine is up to date. Just checked.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I understand that it is a hybrid system and i had one in my FR for 15 years before I converted it back to a 2.1 system. My point is that there are far more sophisticated and user friendly AV processors on the market than what McIntosh sells as "theirs" for much more reasonable prices that happen to sound better. ......SNIP..... Also if you want the SVS subs to work for music then get them away from the corners of the room. I've owned several and while not a first choice for music they can be made to work well with placement.
Who makes a better A/V system? I was thinking of getting a Denon or Marantz, until I kept running into Mc. My salesguy kept pushing NAD on me and I really like their 5.1 masters series, yet they seemed like they were a couple of years behind since they didn't have a 4K capability at that time. That made me lean on Mc. I'll end up getting a 2 channel system for my office eventually, but I have no plan on getting rid of my HT setup in my HT/pool table room in the basement. Ignoring my salesman and talking directly with the regional Mc sales rep, he recommended not getting a 2 channel preamp with HT bypass and getting a 2 channel rig separate from my HT in another room. I talked with him for over an hour on the phone. If my HT processor needs a new DAC, I just need a new processor.

My biggest reservations on getting a DAC or using OPPO as the DAC are:
I don't want to have 6-7 more expensive cables. It's already crazy back there. I use my oppo more for movies than I do for music.
I use my oppo some of the time, but not all the time.
Mc rep claims theater bypass hurts the calibration on room perfect (which I'll likely get when the "MX170" comes out). According to him room perfect is so good it sounds better than a manual setup.
I didn't want to double and triple convert digital to analog on a DAC or oppo, take the analog and convert it back to digital for the MX122, and then back to analog to the amp. Pure mode might be a good work around, but I'd think the DAC on the MX160/170 would be better than the DAC on an OPPO or SCHIIT.

I do prefer the "look" of Mc, but I'm learning that the products they make outside of a 2 channel preamp and amp aren't that competitive for the price.

On the SVS subs I have little to complain about musicality at this point. They are a good compromise between music and movies in a large room. In my opinion SVS is much better at music, than REL is at movies. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but for now I'm fairly happy. SVS has it's problems, but it isn't the weak link. If not in the corner where would you place them? Because my masterset guy likes where he put them. They aren't just shoved into a corner, they were adjusted millimeter by millimeter until he got what he was looking for, but yes they are in corners.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Does the Aurender utilize other services? Or just hard drive, streaming internet radio, and tidal only?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:13 PM

IMO you should like the sound from start. Yes, it will probably improve over time but the "Love" has to be present.
After having visited +100 hifi rooms over the years (mostly at the High End Show in Munich) I have learned that personally I can appreciate the music already when I stand in the door opening. I don´t need to sit down in Sweet Spot to know this is to my liking. Yes, it will improve if I do. But IMO either a set up "has it" or "it don't". If the latter is true than no cabel lifters, burn-in time, vibration dampers in the world will be able to correct it. But then again - that is just based on my personal findings.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:27 PM

Bigblue, the first time I heard Nordost on a system I instantly loved it, brought it home for a demo and loved it more.
I bought nearly a full loom, but not hdmi cables yet. Some songs sounded very bad. Distortion like I was pushing the radio in a Toyota Camry too loud. That went away after a couple days and they just sound great. Because of this personal experience I firmly beleive in burn in. Shunyata makes cables that need no burn in, but I couldn't get a Shunyata demo in my home. The N10 right now has a similar distortion to when my cable was installed on day one, but it's smoothing out some.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:27 PM

I too believe in burn in. Generally speaking. But has not been my experience with Aurender servers. I own the N10 and X100L. Both sounded great right out of the box and I don’t recall any sonic shifting with either one. Just my experience. IMO, the N10 is a wonderful piece of hi-fi equipment. Cost aside, I don’t see how you could go wrong. Pick whichever price point matches up with your needs and don’t look back.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-04-2018, 04:29 PM

I am with you Mouse. I have a full Valhalla loom in my set up. I hope you come to a conclusion with N10 that you feel comfortable with.
Have you had the opportunity to listen to other candidates for streaming music? In order to gather as many different sound impressions as possible before your decision.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:27 PM

I did an A/B test with a lower cost "bluesound" network streamer against the N10.
I had a buddy come over with his bluesound streamer and a Chord Hugo DAC to rule out my MX122 as a limiting factor. MX122 was set to Pure Direct. He has a friend with unlimited budget, and claims ALL STREAMERS SOUND THE SAME. This was the inspiration for the test.

Blind test I chose the bluesound 3 out of 3 times
It was so close I didn't have much of a preference as one wasn't truly better than the other, they just sounded a hair different. The bluesound was a tad bit clearer and detailed on all 3 songs, while the N10 was more balanced on one song.

I get that this wasn't a perfect test, but we were expecting the N10 to blow the bluesound away and that wasn't the case.

Some of the details that might have made a difference.
N10 had a digital cable clairvoyant buy Audio Magic, while the Bluesound was on an (free with PC speakers) optical cable. The audio magic cable may have been a mismatch for the level of system, it's an old cable and the clairvoyant on Audio Majic's website looks nothing like what I have.
The Bluesound was on my wifi, the N10 was plugged into an ethernet switch. During the test Tidal did not stutter once.
Both were plugged in with OEM power cables into a isotek evo3 sigmas.
The Chord Hugo DAC was plugged into my MX122 with XLR cables Heimdall 2 by Nordost.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:39 AM

If I had come to the same conclusions I would choose the Bluesound streamer - if I had to make a decision right now. Other wise - keep scouting until you find some thing "perfect". The stuff will be there tomorrow too :-). Why not give the new Aries G2 a listen.