AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 PM

Default Tannoy Kensington vs Bryston Model T

In case there might be others interested, I'm off to audition the new Tannoy GR Kensingtons tomorrow (considering upgrading from my Turnberry's) and I will have the opportunity of actually comparing them to the Bryston Model T...

I was very impressed when I heard the Model T's at TAVES a couple of years ago, so I am quite intrigued at the possibility of hearing them side by side. The dealer has mentioned that they have a very different presentation. Be interesting to see if I'll change my mind and go Canadian!

I'll let you know what I think on the weekend and I hope to take pics!!...
Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 PM

Rock
To me those would be two very different sounding speakers. It may take you a little getting used to the differences but I am sure you will be happy with either one.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM

.. Agreed Jim.. It's just rare that I get to be able to audition them side by side... you have to remember I live up here.. upscale audio stores are hard to come by....
Old 08-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Rock.......Pay attention to speaker efficiency, particularly since you have recently shown an interest in tube amplification. Also, be sure to take music that you are very familiar with, otherwise your reference will be altered dramatically.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-21-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:20 PM

Based on my experience with the SE models -- the Kensingtons will be quite an upgrade from the Turnberry. The pepperpot/alnico drivers are excellent, and worth the extra money. I think if you love the dual-concentric sound (as I do), it'll be real hard to turn down the Kensington for any "conventional" speaker design under $20K.

My entry into hi-fi was through high-end headphones, so coherence was always a primary criteria that many/most speakers have a tough time delivering at the level of headphones (i.e. single driver). When I first heard the dual-concentric driver deliver that without truncated response or dynamics, it was a revelation!

Last edited by mulveling; 08-21-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Based on my experience with the SE models -- the Kensingtons will be quite an upgrade from the Turnberry. The pepperpot/alnico drivers are excellent, and worth the extra money. I think if you love the dual-concentric sound (as I do), it'll be real hard to turn down the Kensington for any "conventional" speaker design under $20K.
Oh really?.. That is guite intriguing to hear, now I'm even more eager. Actually, I was spurred by this visit because the dealer has not 1 but 2 pairs of used Kensingtons SE, and is known to offer fair trades. I was going out of curiousity, now.. well..

Hope my wife concurs!!!...
Old 08-21-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Rock.......Pay attention to speaker efficiency, particularly since you have recently shown an interest in tube amplification. Also, be sure to take music with your that you are very familiar with, otherwise your reference will be altered dramatically.
... yep sure will do. If I do make a switch, I know the dealer will let me audition them at home.. as a final test.. He did that for me.. when I opted for the Turnberrys...
Old 08-21-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haurock View Post
Oh really?.. That is guite intriguing to hear, now I'm even more eager. Actually, I was spurred by this visit because the dealer has not 1 but 2 pairs of used Kensingtons SE, and is known to offer fair trades. I was going out of curiousity, now.. well..

Hope my wife concurs!!!...
I owned and loved the Kensington SE for 3 years, finally upgrading to the Canterbury SE a couple years ago. They should be obtainable for GREAT deals now that the GR has been out for a while!! The main concern I had was to avoid pairing it with gear with any hint of treble "sear" -- it can get too hot up top in that region where our ears are sensitive. In my case, it paired wonderfully with Koetsu, Ortofon Kontrapunkt c (now Cadenza Bronze), and Benz cartridges (e.g. M2, Ref 3 Copper), but had a bit of a "sear" issue with the Ortofon Windfeld.

The Kensington SE midrange was absolutely wonderful; basically near perfect in my mind. Even a hair better than my Canterbury SE here -- but it's close; I chose the Canterbury over Yorkminster SE specifically for its more Kensington-like midrange. It sounds very "alive" and perfectly coherent, with just a touch of honey. The Turnberry SE, though it sounds great, was missing this "alive" factor; it's a bit flat & dry in comparison. You'll also get more detail from the pepperpot & alnico systems. The Kensington also has good bass response; very clean and has some power, with reasonably enough extension -- but don't stretch it out by situating it in a very large room and/or pairing it with lean gear. More powerful bass and dynamics is why I eventually upgraded -- but the Kensingtons do what you can ask for their size!

I love the look of the long slender-ish Kensington with its deep, rich mahogany finish. If you end up loving the sound, maybe play that angle with the wife

Last edited by mulveling; 08-21-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I owned and loved the Kensington SE for 3 years, finally upgrading to the Canterbury SE a couple years ago. They should be obtainable for GREAT deals now that the GR has been out for a while!! The main concern I had was to avoid pairing it with gear with any hint of treble "sear" -- it can get too hot up top in that region where our ears are sensitive. In my case, it paired wonderfully with Koetsu, Ortofon Kontrapunkt c (now Cadenza Bronze), and Benz cartridges (e.g. M2, Ref 3 Copper), but had a bit of a "sear" issue with the Ortofon Windfeld.

The Kensington SE midrange was absolutely wonderful; basically near perfect in my mind. Even a hair better than my Canterbury SE here -- but it's close; I chose the Canterbury over Yorkminster SE specifically for its more Kensington-like midrange. It sounds very "alive" and perfectly coherent, with just a touch of honey. The Turnberry SE, though it sounds great, was missing this "alive" factor; it's a bit flat & dry in comparison. You'll also get more detail from the pepperpot & alnico systems. The Kensington also has good bass response; very clean and has some power, with reasonably enough extension -- but don't stretch it out by situating it in a very large room and/or pairing it with lean gear. More powerful bass and dynamics is why I eventually upgraded -- but the Kensingtons do what you can ask for their size!

I love the look of the long slender-ish Kensington with its deep, rich mahogany finish. If you end up loving the sound, maybe play that angle with the wife
Agree 100%- I listened to the Kensington SE and loved them, but they are far more fussy than my Canterburys when it comes to amplification. The demo used a Line Magnetic 845 amp & it was an experiance- but a 10 inch driver is no match for a 15 inch- Canterburys energise the room, the Kensigtons dont, which is why I stayed with the Canterburys. Im told the GR's are more dynamic than the SE so the differential between them & the Cantys may have narrowed.

If you pick the Tannoys- go for the Supertweeter as well- strongly recommended(make sure you buy the correct version)!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Rock
To me those would be two very different sounding speakers. It may take you a little getting used to the differences but I am sure you will be happy with either one.
Okay, so my wife and have just returned from auditioning the Kensington Tannoy and Bryston Model T's..... and Jim you nailed it.

These are two excellent speakers but with rather different presentations, that had left me in a bit of a quandry.

First things first. We began by listening to the Kensington's which were hooked up to a Sugden A21aL series 2 Integrated amplifier. The dealer rep suggsted this was probably the closest amp he had that might resemble the McIntosh sound, ok, fair enough.

After listening to a few cuts of some of my better known CDs, the Kensingtons certainly revealed the classic Tannoy sound, but a step or two above the Turnberrys. More detail, more clarity, more bass..and expanded sounstage. All of which I had imagined would occur. I was struck by how highs came out. In fact at first puzzled because Mark Knopfler's voice was not what I was used to.

After playing around for half an hour or so, my wife, if you can imagine, kept asking to hear the Model T's. So, we switched the speakers around. Now you may recall how I had reported how outstanding I had found the Model T's during their inaugural demo at TAVES Toronto in Sept 2013 (see TAVES Day 1 report).

Well, they awed me again... the imaging of these speakers is simply phenomenal. Due to space contraints we didn't focus on precise placements of the Model T's.... just sort of placed them about where they should be. You close your eyes and they just vanish. You are left with the impression of listening to someone performing on stage.

My wife said it best. The Model T's are like if you are in a theater at a 'live' performance. The Tannoys, are as if you are in a studio listening to a musician perform....

Both are excellent! At half the price of the Tannoys, the Bryston's are phenomenal...

Now if only I had the cash, to buy both!!!!!....