AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 PM

Default QX-5 Firmware Version H released

It was a about a week back actually - March 13, 2018.

Ayre QX-5 Digital Hub Firmware

Quote:
Bug Corrections:
* Fixed bug where QX-5 would appear as uncertified in Roon. Users experiencing this issue can now perform a network reset after updating to redisplay correct model information for QX-5.
* Corrected a bug where HDCD files were not playing back correctly.

Improvements:
* Reduces (does not eliminate) pops heard during sample rate transitions.
* Reduced drop outs heard during DSD playback through the network input with a temporary correction until further addressed.

Known Issues:
* An issue was recently discovered that can cause short drop-outs in audio while playing DSD files over the network still exists but has been reduced with this update. When the DSD flag is brieftly lost, this will sound like brief pops or drops in output. A further correction will be necessary in a future update.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 AM

Thx. After update I got the uncertified Roon message for the first time, reset of the net option on the qx-5 solved this issue after reset of my network.

Hope this helps anyone who got the same issue.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 AM

To dredge up this old thread, five months in they haven’t addressed the DSD issue so it must be harder to fix than they thought.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Industry Affiliation - Ayre CEO

Hi Bill,

There's actually a couple issues happening simultaneously, both regarding high-rate and not solely DSD, but the issue appears more often with DSD files. One, we have direct control of, as it has to do the fact we wanted to offer HDCD compatibility...Charley was always a big fan of that format over SACDs, but found that some discs tend to not be as good as others with the encoding. As a result, we had to loosen up the code and the pops are from the QX-5 entering and exiting HDCD mode when it's picking up false indicators...this can happen in PCM tracks since we had to loosen what it's looking for. The fix for this is to completely gut and redo the code, unfortunately, as it's pretty intrinsic in everything, but we are planning on releasing a patch to temporarily shut off HDCD until we have it resolved, which is a pretty easy fix and should be out soon now that we're in the new place. That's the reference in the former patch notes. We really hate the idea of turning off features, which has been part of the delay, as we were hoping to be able to change a few variables to address the problem...but it's simply not the case and has left us with little other choice.

The second is less obvious and impacts only one or two people. As far as we can tell, it seems to be related to packet losses on the Ethernet input, but it's a really tricky problem to replicate for us and the problem is happening in the module that we (and a few other companies) use for the Ethernet input. Once the new firmware is out, give it a try and see if the problems go away for you and please let me know! I'm hoping that we'll have it out sometime next week.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:07 PM

My QX-5 Twenty hasn't asked for an update yet. When should I expect it to?

db
Old 08-17-2018, 08:34 PM

When was the last update. I though it updated a month or so ago.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 AM

Anyone having any issue trying to update to the latest Firmware J? Been extremely frustrating for me to get it updated. Was trying to listen to some DSD128 files recently and got some popping noise which prompted me to even bother to try to update the firmware.

Downloaded and unzipped the files to an blank thumbdrive. Nothing happens when I startup the QX-5 with the thumbdrive plugged in.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtl View Post
Anyone having any issue trying to update to the latest Firmware J? Been extremely frustrating for me to get it updated. Was trying to listen to some DSD128 files recently and got some popping noise which prompted me to even bother to try to update the firmware.

Downloaded and unzipped the files to an blank thumbdrive. Nothing happens when I startup the QX-5 with the thumbdrive plugged in.
I had trouble initially as well. I finally was successful updating to J after downloading to my computer's, hard disk, and then unzipping to a blank thumbdrive. The update gave no indication it was installing on the QX5 display, but rather just showed "QX5" for quite a while. After 5 minutes or so, the display went blank. I checked the firmware and it said FW J. Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM

Ok. Finally realized what was the issue. For some strange reason, I was accessing the pre-revamped Ayre page and downloading an older firmware version. Weirdly I sort of remember seeing the updated version of the website a few days ago.

After I tried it again several hours later, it became the updated webpage and the firmware version was newer.

Now... Anyone succeeded in getting the network firmware version upgraded?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:28 PM

If your QX 5 doesn't exhibit any of the drop outs playing HDCD files why update at all, the update only disables the HDCD while a fix is found.

My QX 5 has never drop out of HDVD so I don't plan on updating until a worthy update comes out.