AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-02-2020, 11:13 PM

Transparent Magnum Opus retails for 65,000.00. Has an extensive network. I think Wilson uses Opus cable in the XVX. It is on par with WEL Signature. Myself I'm not into networks in speaker cables but have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Transparent Magnum Opus retails for 65,000.00. Has an extensive network. I think Wilson uses Opus cable in the XVX. It is on par with WEL Signature. Myself I'm not into networks in speaker cables but have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Wilson were/still are? wired with Transparent internally (without networks ) I have always admired Transparent Audio products and have played around/invested rather heavily at times, always with great results. Again, I don't know how much of that is just our imagination but the result was always very musical and satisfactory.

By the way, I found nirvana with their budget series just as much as having $30k worth of Transparent to audition on a home trial. Yes, I thought there were differences but I digress...

Last edited by PHC1; 12-02-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:32 AM

I do like the transparency and detail of Dan DAgostino amps - and there isn’t the usual harshness trade off when usually listening to detailed amps.

But I find that DD amps temper well with Audio Research preamps. I think that might give the first reviewer what he was looking for.

I noticed the owner of EAT has a Reference 10 with Momentum monos. She likes that combination as well.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Great article!
Indeed. Extremely valuable.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Yes, having heard both....

Agreed, having also heard both noting that the momentum’s are also a higher price point than progressions...
Old 12-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Agreed, having also heard both noting that the momentum’s are also a higher price point than progressions...

Since you’ve heard both, which do you prefer and why?
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 12-04-2020, 07:56 PM

Money aside, I would pick the Momentum’s as they seem to have a richness and sweeter mid-range that the progressions don’t quite have to the same degree...they have plenty of authority with a delicate touch so to speak
Old 12-04-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Money aside, I would pick the Momentum’s as they seem to have a richness and sweeter mid-range that the progressions don’t quite have to the same degree...they have plenty of authority with a delicate touch so to speak
Yes, the Momentums were oozing with richness of tone while retaining the last bit of transparency and the most of delicate details. Quite difficult to explain actually until one hears them in person. I have not heard the Progression but would have thought it would be similar...

Here was my pair of Momentums driving the Alexia. One can easily appreciate the richness of the cello, even over a very crappy recording and youtube video.. https://youtu.be/Ota9Qf9OY14
Old 12-04-2020, 08:31 PM

And to drive the point home, here is that same track I just captured on the PrimaLuna with EL34 tubes running in pure Triode Mode.

Now tell me the D'Agostino amps are somehow behind in richness of tone or even the coveted tube magic?

PrimaLuna and Harbeth https://youtu.be/-rosu4xcq1M

D'Agostino and Wilson https://youtu.be/Ota9Qf9OY14