AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Cyril, indeed a good point but one other aspect to consider is the balance of cartridge price and selection that would fall into the proper range of table to cartridge ratio. I am not looking to spend $5k on a very refined sounding cartridge with this $2k table. I think all too often the outcome of sound with the lower budget tables have to do with the lower price cartridges that dominate the sonic signature with their "flavor". I am ok with this table being a bit more neutral if that is where it is in it's 1.1 version reincarnation, I'll just have to think about a cartridge that offers more weight and warmth even at the expense of detail and resolution if need be. This will be a "leisure" vinyl rig for some "passive" listening rather than critical listening.
Serge...absolutely. I hear you. As I read through your answer, an idea popped through my head (look out this does not happen very often ), and I thought what about a vintage table, something like Alberto's table, which he did an amazing job prettying up. Put a Clearaudio Maestro on there, which was your first cart on the Clearaudio Performance table if I recollect correctly and you are in business.

The thought came to me really because I was on another forum where the subject came up and you can get a tt on cheap and put some modest amount into it to restore it or if it is in good order just get a nice looking custom plinth and add a warmish cart like the Maestro or even a vintage Shure which Dan has talked about in the past I believe and you are done. Here is a thread here on AA recently that came up with some info:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/turnt...urntables.html

Here is Alberto's gorgeous looking Thorens:

There are plenty of vintage restorers out there from very high end stuff (check out Artisan Fidelity where you will spend $4-10K) to folks who make sure everything is working to spec and maybe put a nice plinth on a vintage table and you spend $800-$2K max on table (check out Vinyl Nirvana). I don't think I am allowed to put links in to the websites but they are easily Googleable

Just another idea for you to think about
Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Serge...absolutely. I hear you. As I read through your answer, an idea popped through my head (look out this does not happen very often ), and I thought what about a vintage table, something like Alberto's table, which he did an amazing job prettying up. Put a Clearaudio Maestro on there, which was your first cart on the Clearaudio Performance table if I recollect correctly and you are in business.

The thought came to me really because I was on another forum where the subject came up and you can get a tt on cheap and put some modest amount into it to restore it or if it is in good order just get a nice looking custom plinth and add a warmish cart like the Maestro or even a vintage Shure which Dan has talked about in the past I believe and you are done. Here is a thread here on AA recently that came up with some info:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/turnt...urntables.html

Here is Alberto's gorgeous looking Thorens:

There are plenty of vintage restorers out there from very high end stuff (check out Artisan Fidelity where you will spend $4-10K) to folks who make sure everything is working to spec and maybe put a nice plinth on a vintage table and you spend $800-$2K max on table (check out Vinyl Nirvana). I don't think I am allowed to put links in to the websites but they are easily Googleable

Just another idea for you to think about
Cyril, I've seen tons of great ideas coming from the guy with "cmalak" name on AA!

It is a really good idea and one I would embrace tackle head on except that I already have a recent project in the form of a Paschetto AE-2008. Remember this one? http://www.audioaficionado.org/turnt...008-table.html

I still have that table and it is a great sounding table with the SME309 and an EMT TSD15 cartridge. http://www.audioaficionado.org/shind...15-shindo.html

The Clearaudio Maestro was a very nice and warmish/forgiving MM cartridge but it is long gone, sold with the Clearaudio table.

Actually the VPI table is more of a nostalgic purchase for me as well, as the VPI table will remind me of a certain time period of "audio discovery" and the first serious table I spent countless hours listening to with my friends. It left a long lasting impression on me and I thought it will be nice to have some of those memories come up whenever I would go to use it. I know, it probably sound kind of funny... I did like that VPI table from the past a lot though.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 PM

Serge...you need to update your signature. I thought that table was long gone when you blew up your 2-ch only listening room

Well VPI it is. Do you have any local dealers where you can go listen to the 1.1? I know my first exposure to the high-end was through a friend's system in NYC which consisted of a Burmester CD player and a VPI Scoutmaster tt with Lyra Argo cart going through a Pathos Logos integrated amp and JM Focal Labs 928 speakers and it was the system that got me hooked and intrigued with the high-end. I curse the day (actually the year) I have very fond memories of VPI as well. That sound captivated me back then.

I wish you good hunting Serge. I am sure you will come up with the right combo for you
Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Serge...you need to update your signature. I thought that table was long gone when you blew up your 2-ch only listening room

Well VPI it is. Do you have any local dealers where you can go listen to the 1.1? I know my first exposure to the high-end was through a friend's system in NYC which consisted of a Burmester CD player and a VPI Scoutmaster tt with Lyra Argo cart going through a Pathos Logos integrated amp and JM Focal Labs 928 speakers and it was the system that got me hooked and intrigued with the high-end. I curse the day (actually the year) I have very fond memories of VPI as well. That sound captivated me back then.

I wish you good hunting Serge. I am sure you will come up with the right combo for you
Cyril, I actually don't know of anyone who carries VPI in my area. I'll have to either try to find a dealer where I can audition or just take a $2k gamble and hope for the best... I've mentioned it to my local dealer to pick up the line a few times already.

Thank you my friend, I'll update as to the developments of this project.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I know this is a scout thread but you might also want to look at one of these
Platter and Clamp | Michell Engineering
David, Michell builds a very nice TT. I didn't want to spend too much on this project and the VPI scout 1.1 with the JMW9 tonearm comes in under $2k. I wouldn't mind the Gyro Dec like you have, perhaps I will consider it for my theater!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 AM

I just got in a Scout 1.1 and Ortofon 2M Black a few days ago. SoundstageDirect.com was the vendor and they were easy to work with. They installed and aligned the cartridge and balanced the arm before shipping the turntable to me, so my setup was quick. Position motor, install platter, install belt, place arm on the pivot point... and ready to go!

So far so good...
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
I just got in a Scout 1.1 and Ortofon 2M Black a few days ago. SoundstageDirect.com was the vendor and they were easy to work with. They installed and aligned the cartridge and balanced the arm before shipping the turntable to me, so my setup was quick. Position motor, install platter, install belt, place arm on the pivot point... and ready to go!

So far so good...
Thanks! I forgot soundstage carries VPI! Best part is they are a 15 min drive from me.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 AM

Serge...I seem to recall you were also relatively close to Overture in Wilmington and they are a VPI dealer as well but sounds like SoundstageDirect is even closer
Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Serge...I seem to recall you were also relatively close to Overture in Wilmington and they are a VPI dealer as well but sounds like SoundstageDirect is even closer
That would also be a great place to audition if they have the 1.1. I have not been there in years but my McIntosh audio journey began there with a pair of MC501s!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 AM

Serge, I never had the chance to listen to VPI TTs but heard only good things about them.
But I know very well this special mat because I had one on my LP12 : it is terrific.