AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 05-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Mark, you have always taken the time to offer the most detail with regards to my HW19 questions, on this forum or others. And I really appreciate your input. The platter I have coming is the aluminum/stainless steel 18 lb unit and should be a good deal different from my current Scout platter. Should arrive next week and for now I think I will install it on the HW19 while I figure out what to do with my DIY build
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles
Mark, you have always taken the time to offer the most detail with regards to my HW19 questions, on this forum or others. And I really appreciate your input. The platter I have coming is the aluminum/stainless steel 18 lb unit and should be a good deal different from my current Scout platter. Should arrive next week and for now I think I will install it on the HW19 while I figure out what to do with my DIY build
You're going to be shocked by just how much better
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
You're going to be shocked by just how much better
I believe the Platter choice onboard the HW-19 plays a huge influence in the Table's sound.

I noticed a literal night, and day improvement on my own HW-19 Table, when I swapped the Junior Platter, for the 16lb MK-IV Platter.

I think the improvement in basic sonics was much greater than either the SDS, and the SAMA Motor. Bass had a lot more authority, presence, the sound seemed much better top to bottom. My Table was truly transformed by just the Platter upgrade, like it was a whole different table.

I know it's been said by some, that many of the HW-19 Tables had a somewhat "dark" sound. This could possibly be true, that the choice of materials used for many of the Platters itself could've played an influence to the character of the Table.

I don't think I can ever recall reading that the Classic, or the Classic Platter as sounding "dark".

This addition to your Table may really be the best choice for a Platter? Maybe better than all the others that came before it?

I, as well as some others will really like to hear your account of what this Platter accomplishes, and how, and what the improvements were versus the Scout Platter? The Scout Platter should've been an improvement over the stock 6lb frosted acrylic Junior Platter.

Other thoughts I've had, due to the Classic's Platter's height-thickness, I'm not sure if the stock dustcover will work-close? There may be ample clearance without the Clamp screwed to the spindle, but possibily with the Clamp on Spindle, the Dustcover will not close?

I had this same problem with my own Table, with the Stock VPI One Piece Clamp, and the BDR 2 Piece Clamp. Thus, I kept the Dished Carbon Fiber Coaster from the BDR Clamp, and had a new, slightly lower profile Center Clamp Puck fabricated by the same Machinist.
Mark

Last edited by Markd51; 05-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd51

I believe the Platter choice onboard the HW-19 plays a huge influence in the Table's sound.

I noticed a literal night, and day improvement on my own HW-19 Table, when I swapped the Junior Platter, for the 16lb MK-IV Platter.

I think the improvement in basic sonics was much greater than either the SDS, and the SAMA Motor. Bass had a lot more authority, presence, the sound seemed much better top to bottom. My Table was truly transformed by just the Platter upgrade, like it was a whole different table.

I know it's been said by some, that many of the HW-19 Tables had a somewhat "dark" sound. This could possibly be true, that the choice of materials used for many of the Platters itself could've played an influence to the character of the Table.

I don't think I can ever recall reading that the Classic, or the Classic Platter as sounding "dark".

This addition to your Table may really be the best choice for a Platter? Maybe better than all the others that came before it?

I, as well as some others will really like to hear your account of what this Platter accomplishes, and how, and what the improvements were versus the Scout Platter? The Scout Platter should've been an improvement over the stock 6lb frosted acrylic Junior Platter.

Other thoughts I've had, due to the Classic's Platter's height-thickness, I'm not sure if the stock dustcover will work-close? There may be ample clearance without the Clamp screwed to the spindle, but possibily with the Clamp on Spindle, the Dustcover will not close?

I had this same problem with my own Table, with the Stock VPI One Piece Clamp, and the BDR 2 Piece Clamp. Thus, I kept the Dished Carbon Fiber Coaster from the BDR Clamp, and had a new, slightly lower profile Center Clamp Puck fabricated by the same Machinist.
Mark
With my TTWeights weight I have 15/16 of clearance with the lid closed. The Scout platter is 1 5/16 as I measure it so I should be good, it not the VPI clamp is about 3/16 shorter that the TTWeight. in the end if I need to make another dustcover I can alway do that. I could also make some adjustment to how the bearing spindle attaches to the plinth. Currently it's top mounted but I could always recess it a bit. I know I'll have to make another spacer for the arm and in fact this is where I'm more likely to have clearance problems from what I can see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.