Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Default Analog-Tape-Can-Never-Be-HD

Interesting read:

iTrax - HD Music Downloads - Analog Tape Can Never Be HD: Here's Why

james
Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

James.......Very interesting article that I agree with whole heartedly. Thanks for posting.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM

James

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston
Well he's welcome to his opinion even if it's wrong. It's the same thing rehashed over and over again; tape can't sound as good because the measurements tell us so. It's the old bumble bees can't fly story. Curiously he never ever talks about actually listening and comparing (how about RR's high rez dig transfer of Arnold's Dances vs The Tape Project 15 ips release? Nor does he ever talk about what he listens on; for all we know it could be desktop speakers.

Truth be told, both formats err or otherwise it would sound like live music-and they don't. There are just some of us out there whose ears are very sensitive to those dig distortions.

Didn't we hear the same thing when transistors were introduced as well as digital. Well, digital is far from perfect too. Well it was until they discovered jitter. Then it was something else. Always something it seems Point is that I've done and been privy to comparison of second gen tapes vs a super hi Rez dig file copy (2x DSD) and the file is far from a mirror image of the tape. (and this was done by a leading mastering engineer using SOTA gear.) Where the digital deviated the most from the tape was in the upper octaves, loss of info and the body of instruments. It just wasn't close. And I've done similar comparisons with my tricked our R2R.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.

Last edited by Myles B. Astor; 02-17-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
There are just some of us out there whose ears are very sensitive to those dig distortions.

And there are many more people who are sensitive to tape hiss, tube distortion and analog tics and pops.

Jim
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
And there are many more people who are sensitive to tape hiss, tube distortion and analog tics and pops.

Jim
First, I don't understand where tubes and pops and ticks (certainly not on a tape) are relevant to the discussion at hand. You want to make that a separate thread, fine. As far as tape hiss goes, have you heard current tapes (like the RR Arnold Dances from The Tape Project) played back on a studio or tricked out prosumer machine (for the record, my machine with the Nortronics heads goes out to 22 K +/- 1.5 dB)? There's no annoying hiss there. You have to put your ear up to the speaker to really hear any hiss whatsoever. The hiss you're referring to is on those tapes that came early on that used large magnetic particles (see Mercury for instance).
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Well he's welcome to his opinion even if it's wrong. It's the same thing rehashed over and over again; tape can't sound as good because the measurements tell us so. It's the old bumble bees can't fly story. Curiously he never ever talks about actually listening and comparing (how about RR's high rez dig transfer of Arnold's Dances vs The Tape Project 15 ips release? Nor does he ever talk about what he listens on; for all we know it could be desktop speakers.

Truth be told, both formats err or otherwise it would sound like live music-and they don't. There are just some of us out there whose ears are very sensitive to those dig distortions.

Didn't we hear the same thing when transistors were introduced as well as digital. Well, digital is far from perfect too. Well it was until they discovered jitter. Then it was something else. Always something it seems Point is that I've done and been privy to comparison of second gen tapes vs a super hi Rez dig file copy (2x DSD) and the file is far from a mirror image of the tape. (and this was done by a leading mastering engineer using SOTA gear.) Where the digital deviated the most from the tape was in the upper octaves, loss of info and the body of instruments. It just wasn't close. And I've done similar comparisons with my tricked our R2R.
+1

Charts and graphs are one thing, listening is where 'the rubber meets the road'!

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
First, I don't understand where tubes and pops and ticks (certainly not on a tape) are relevant to the discussion at hand. You want to make that a separate thread, fine. As far as tape hiss goes, have you heard current tapes (like the RR Arnold Dances from The Tape Project) played back on a studio or tricked out prosumer machine (for the record, my machine with the Nortronics heads goes out to 22 K +/- 1.5 dB)? There's no annoying hiss there. You have to put your ear up to the speaker to really hear any hiss whatsoever. The hiss you're referring to is on those tapes that came early on that used large magnetic particles (see Mercury for instance).
I was responding to your comment regarding sensitivity to digital distortion which I read as being inherently worse than those issues I mentioned. Whether my response is of less relevance to the discussion than yours relating to jitter, you are correct it is not worth the debate.

The answer to your question is I have only had limited exposure to some of the newer "tricked out" decks that are available. I have heard Nick's machine and tapes on a few occasions. At times there was significant tape hiss, and with others very little.

Jim
Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I certainly don't have the golden, well trained ears of say, a, Miles B. Astor, but even my old, battered, superannuated auditory devices can hear the difference between analogue and digital - and I prefer analogue.

Digital, I'm sure, does provide "perfect sound forever", or, at least it gets the notes right, but analogue captures more of the "soul" of the music, more of the atmosphere of the recording venue, more of the emotion of the performers.

I play a lot of very good digital recordings, primarily because I'm a little disabled, have to walk with a cane and have a hard time getting up and down - and, the darn little silver things are certainly more convenient. Plus, you don't have to get up and turn them over in the middle. But, I do prefer those old, wonderful, black discs made from those wonderful analogue tapes.

They just sound better and they are as High Definition as anything I've ever experienced.

And, I truly wish I could have the opportunity to hear the analogue master tapes on good equipment like Mr. Astor has done. Talk about perfect, high definition sound!

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 02-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice
I certainly don't have the golden, well trained ears of say, a, Miles B. Astor, but even my old, battered, superannuated auditory devices can hear the difference between analogue and digital - and I prefer analogue.

Digital, I'm sure, does provide "perfect sound forever", or, at least it gets the notes right, but analogue captures more of the "soul" of the music, more of the atmosphere of the recording venue, more of the emotion of the performers.

I play a lot of very good digital recordings, primarily because I'm a little disabled, have to walk with a cane and have a hard time getting up and down - and, the darn little silver things are certainly more convenient. Plus, you don't have to get up and turn them over in the middle. But, I do prefer those old, wonderful, black discs made from those wonderful analogue tapes.

They just sound better and they are as High Definition as anything I've ever experienced.

And, I truly wish I could have the opportunity to hear the analogue master tapes on good equipment like Mr. Astor has done. Talk about perfect, high definition sound!
Very well stated.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado