AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 PM

I'm hoping the Venom USB will be available again soon then.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 PM

The VENOM USB will be available before September in the following lengths:

0.75 Meter
1.5 M
3.0 M
6.0 M

It will feature VTX (virtual tube conductors).

The signal conductors and the power conductors are physically separated and shielded from one another.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
We are on schedule to release our next level up from the Alpha Series power cords. These will be called Sigma Series and there will be a Digital, Analog and High Current version just like the Alpha Series. They will feature VTX conductors as many have guessed. We expect these cables to establish a new reference standard for quality of construction, fit, finish and performance. Watch for an announcement sometime in August.

Does Sigma replace the Zitron line, specifically Anaconda and Python?

Quote:
Yes, we have tested with continuous cast copper. We consider our Cohergenic copper to be superior but we will be using OHNO continuous cast copper conductors in a new line of cables that we will ne introducing in about a month...
That is interesting, as I believe Furukawa closed their PCOCC plant in Chiba (outskirts of Tokyo) last year due to lack of demand. Furutech and Oyaide were sourcing PCOCC wire from Furukawa, so no idea what they are doing now. I think there is only one other plant, which is in Taiwan IIRC, that was licensed to use the Ohno process. I have not read Professor Ohno's patents, but I suspect these relate primarily to the heated draw and slow cool process, and may not specify copper purity.

Furukawa have developed a new process, called PCUHD, which is premised on reducing the oxygen content to lower levels than have been achieved before. They seem to be drawing the copper inside a sealed process where the copper is only exposed to an inert gas. They have only just started production.

Still, geometry seems at least as important as metallurgy, as you know better than most
Old 08-30-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
We are on schedule to release our next level up from the Alpha Series power cords. These will be called Sigma Series and there will be a Digital, Analog and High Current version just like the Alpha series. Watch for an announcement sometime in August.
Hi Caelin,

August is almost over. Are you still on schedule?
I can't wait to see your new products.
I probably speak for a lot of us; the anticipation is killing. ;-)

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sander.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Does Sigma replace the Zitron line, specifically Anaconda and Python?

That is interesting, as I believe Furukawa closed their PCOCC plant in Chiba (outskirts of Tokyo) last year due to lack of demand. Furutech and Oyaide were sourcing PCOCC wire from Furukawa, so no idea what they are doing now. I think there is only one other plant, which is in Taiwan IIRC, that was licensed to use the Ohno process. I have not read Professor Ohno's patents, but I suspect these relate primarily to the heated draw and slow cool process, and may not specify copper purity.

Furukawa have developed a new process, called PCUHD, which is premised on reducing the oxygen content to lower levels than have been achieved before. They seem to be drawing the copper inside a sealed process where the copper is only exposed to an inert gas. They have only just started production.

Still, geometry seems at least as important as metallurgy, as you know better than most
I could be mistaken, but Neotech Cables now claim to have the only Ohno OCC plant in the world. I believe other manufacturer may source their OCC silver from them but I and not sure. All I know is after trying some Ohno process OCC copper and silver cable myself, they are really good!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post
Hi Caelin, August is almost over. Are you still on schedule? I can't wait to see your new products. I probably speak for a lot of us; the anticipation is killing. ;-) Hope to hear from you soon. Sander.
Yes, when you design your own connectors and conductors there is always something that can get delayed. One of our design goals was to build this generation of cables without the use of any heatshrink. We had to redesign some of the connector molds but that is now complete and we will be building new CopperCONN connectors next week. The first run of 100 cables is already sold and we will be running overtime at the factory to handle the initial demand.

We will have the information on the website in two weeks. It may take another couple weeks to get the photos up but I may post informal photos here if you like.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:11 PM

[quote= Snip>> Furutech and Oyaide were sourcing PCOCC wire from Furukawa, so no idea what they are doing now. <<Snip [/quote]

I believe that Acoustic Revive does as well so they may very well be in the same boat. AR took the process a couple of steps farther by annealing the wire and having it shaped with an oval cross section.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:

We will have the information on the website in two weeks. It may take another couple weeks to get the photos up but I may post informal photos here if you like.
Indeed, I think we would all like to see photos of your latest creations very much
Old 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
We are on schedule to release our next level up from the Alpha Series power cords. These will be called Sigma Series and there will be a Digital, Analog and High Current version just like the Alpha Series. They will feature VTX conductors as many have guessed. We expect these cables to establish a new reference standard for quality of construction, fit, finish and performance.
If I were to upgrade my current Alpha Digital to the Sigma model then would I get better filtering of digital noise? Better DTCD performance? Both? Or something else?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Look forward to hearing the new line Caelin.