AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 PM

Default Best Power Cord for preamp?

Guessing it's the Anaconda.

Within the Alpha line, not sure if the Analog or HC would be best.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 02-08-2014, 11:36 PM

For a component drawing 30 watts, anything over 16 AWG will be fine.

Buy music with what you save.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:45 AM

He asked what power cord is best, not which one lets the pre-amp power on.

Within the Shunyata line, the Anaconda is top dog, so it should allow your pre to work at its maximum potential. I have a Cobra on my Pass XP-20, and am happy with its performance. However, after the positive result I have heard/seen with the Alpha Digital on my Bryston BDP-1, and the Oppo 103, I am considering an Alpha Analog as a possible upgrade. The HC is only a few hundred dollars more, but it seems the extra cost is for dealing with the issues created by high current amps, not pre-amps.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
Guessing it's the Anaconda. Within the Alpha line, not sure if the Analog or HC would be best.
What is the brand of preamp? Is it solid-state or tube? What power distributor or conditioner are you using? What power cord are you currently using? Are you using stock cables on the other components in the system - like the stock 18 gauge stuff that comes with the equipment? If you use something other than stock cords, what are they?

What are the sound qualities that you like about your system? If you could improve something about the sound - what would that be?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 AM

Using Shunyata Anaconda on a Shunyata Triton. Really like the sound improvement since adding those pieces. Using Ayre KX_5 preamp, solid state.

Currently using a Shunyata Venom 3 on the preamp. Curious what a better PC might provide.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 02-09-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
Using Shunyata Anaconda on a Shunyata Triton. Really like the sound improvement since adding those pieces. Using Ayre KX_5 preamp, solid state. Currently using a Shunyata Venom 3 on the preamp. Curious what a better PC might provide.
While the recommended 18 gauge cable may be quite the performer at a very reasonable of cost $0.00 - a person with a bit more ambition, who has a system that is not located in a glass room and that has some semblence of imaging may find that the Alpha Analog may best it by a slim margin.

All I can say from personal experience, in my own system, is that the Alpha Analog outperforms the Venom-3 by a wide margin. YMMV

If you do a trial evaluation you may want to take a Benadryl 30 minutes before the listening session to guard against the placebo effect. You may also want to look in the DIY section for instructions on the construction details for an oragami hat made from aluminum foil to avoid the mass hypnosis beam that is transmitted from some secret location in the rain forest of the Olympic Peninsula.

Last edited by CGabriel; 02-09-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post

All I can say from personal experience, in my own system, is that the Alpha Analog outperforms the Venom-3 by a wide margin. YMMV
Curious, what hardware do you use in your system? Heard good things about your cables...
Old 02-09-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
If you do a trial evaluation you may want to take a Benadryl 30 minutes before the listening session to guard against the placebo effect. You may also want to look in the DIY section for instructions on the construction details for an oragami hat made from aluminum foil to avoid the mass hypnosis beam that is transmitted from some secret location in the rain forest of the Olympic Peninsula.
LOL.

Looking forward to seeing that in an Alpha Analog ad.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
While the recommended 18 gauge cable may be quite the performer at a very reasonable of cost $0.00 - a person with a bit more ambition, who has a system that is not located in a glass room and that has some semblence of imaging may find that the Alpha Analog may best it by a slim margin.

Me too, that is gold. Such a subtle kick in the pants. Top marks!I wonder why the same person doesn't pick on Wire World?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:16 AM

On my EAR, the Crystal Dream betters the Anaconda, but they both are superb.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.

Last edited by Robert_Anderson; 02-09-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: badd grammer