AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Update: Not so good ATM. Grainy, flat.
ATM is what? Asynchronous Transfer Mode?

Quote:
Sorry guys .... Not easy to get the cable elevators just right, but the job is done & it looks like a roller coaster theme park back there.
I have always had the same problem with cables. That problem has been exacerbated with the installation -- the girth and flexibility -- of the Shunyata PCs I have recently installed. If you have one, I'm sure we'd all like to see a photo of your cables and cable elevator solution.

Also, it was suggested on another thread over on the McIntosh forum that you have installed the Vicoustic Wavewood treatments. Boy, those look so interesting to me. And yet there is next to nothing on the internet that I can find by way of reviews. I'd sure like to see a photo of how you have those installed, and what your impressions are of them, please.

Thanks for your consideration.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:40 PM

ATM = At The Moment
Old 11-18-2013, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
ATM is what? Asynchronous Transfer Mode?

I have always had the same problem with cables. That problem has been exacerbated with the installation -- the girth and flexibility -- of the Shunyata PCs I have recently installed. If you have one, I'm sure we'd all like to see a photo of your cables and cable elevator solution.

Also, it was suggested on another thread over on the McIntosh forum that you have installed the Vicoustic Wavewood treatments. Boy, those look so interesting to me. And yet there is next to nothing on the internet that I can find by way of reviews. I'd sure like to see a photo of how you have those installed, and what your impressions are of them, please.

Thanks for your consideration.

System pics & info here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/membe...ls-system.html
Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Although my cable looms are carefully laid out, given space constraints, cable density to volume of equipment racked, proximity of power cables to interconnects etc is inevitable.

It appears that the Zitron Anaconda is an unshielded power cable by design & it's stray electrical field effect could explain why in my system I am experiencing a negative performance impact given my cable loom density.

Using a Trifield Meter Model 100XE on a 3axis setting, I took some stray electric field readings in an attempt to ascertain why I think I have a negative performance impact since the Zitron Anacondas went in.

Sony Bravia 65" LCD panel with Gorilla Glass front on: 30v/m @0mm.
WireWorld Platinum Eclipse G7 loudspeaker cable: 25v/m @0mm.

Siltech Royal Signature Ruby Mountain II G7 power: 0v/m @0mm.
Furutech Flux-50 Filter: 15v/m @20mm, 35 v/m @0mm.
Furutech Flux power: 15 v/m @0mm.
Furutech Flux 3TS20 cable braided with Techflex Flexo Conductive: 15v/m @0mm.

Furutech Flux-50 filter plugged inline into Siltech Ruby Mountain II power: 0v/m @0mm.

Shunyata Zitron Anaconda 2.25m length:

200mm 0v/m
100mm 30v/m
50mm 100v/m
20mm 1000v/m
0mm Exceeded meter's ability to measure. (Off the chart).

What surprised me was how dead the Siltech power cables were to the outside world. I expected a reading & got zero emission.

I have discovered that other power cables touching the Anaconda appear to inherit additional stray field. I am concerned what the impact on other cables such as interconnects & loudspeaker cables could be, given proximity field.

Contrary, if you touch the affected cable, you will ground that stray field effect.

Voltage taken at time of reading: 252v

Caelin... There are glowing testimonials with regards to Shunyata's power cable products & many people here on AA have had positive experiences. Unfortunately, given the parameters of my system, I'm not confident that I am going to fall into that happy camp with what I am hearing so far & are inclined to want to return them.

As for your power conditioners. That's another story. I own 4 of them (2x Hydra Talos, 2x Hydra Cyclops) & I have been satisfied with their performance.

Last edited by MyPal; 11-18-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Fantastic. I had not see that thread. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 AM

Steve, aren't you a bit fast on the verdict here? Give them a week or two in your system. The meter is not the same things as your ears(?)

Pause, breathe etc.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
Steve, aren't you a bit fast on the verdict here? Give them a week or two in your system. The meter is not the same things as your ears(?)

Pause, breathe etc.

Crion....I want to believe & to have that glow about them, but it doesn't seem to be happening for me. I gave them a head start with 3 days on the fan as suggested by the manufacturer.

Also, I don't want to be stuck with them or to take a hit if I cannot return them "as new" for refund.

I know that many have stated that patience is virtuous with Shunyata cable but they are not currently playing nicely with the rest of the loom. Perhaps, synergy throughout is key with Shunyata.

As you can see, I have several discretely groups of products that make up my loom. The performance characteristics of those products have now fallen with the Anacondas now feeding as a primary source. This is disconcerting.

Last edited by MyPal; 11-18-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 PM

I fully respect the financial part. Check if you can extend the return policy timeframe. Then set your timetable for evaluation comforming to that.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
There are glowing testimonials with regards to Shunyata's power cable products & many people here on AA have had positive experiences. Unfortunately, given the parameters of my system, I'm not confident that I am going to fall into that happy camp with what I am hearing so far & are inclined to want to return them. As for your power conditioners. That's another story. I own 4 of them (2x Hydra Talos, 2x Hydra Cyclops) & I have been satisfied with their performance.
Yes we have thousands of happy customers as you have read here and other forums. Our products have also been reviewed by many reviewers in multiple countries and magazines in addition to the PRO audio applications. However that is not and never will be a guarantee of performance in any specific audio system. We make it very clear that we approach power as a system. Powering multiple devices from a single electrical point creates a complex series, parallel power filter circuit. We design our products to handle this complex interaction with a minimum of parasitic DTCD loss and with minimal adverse reactance. Our products are designed to work synergistically with one another. Obviously we cannot control the power system interaction with other products.

Your power is very complicated and includes many products from a multitude of providers. All of these products interact with one another. You made it very clear that this was your choice to make and fully intended to evaluate our products in that context. I have no problem with that - your system - your choice. If the Anaconda does not work for you with the products that you already use then you will obviously return it.

Radiated magnetic fields from power cords are a known problem and that is why it is recommended that you do not run signal cables parallel to power cords and that you attempt to maintain distance between power and signal cables. As for your field testing I think you need to go back and do some more testing. First, no power cable can shield the 50-60 Hz AC magnetic field. Shielded cables can only reduce the radiation of high frequencies. The only way to shield low frequency power magnetic fields is with the use of steel or aluminum which is all but impossible in a power cord that is even remotely flexible. You did not state it but I am assuming that you had the meter set to magnetic and not electric field setting. The magnetic field has a direct correlation to the amount of current that a conductor is carrying. So, increase the current - increase the magnetic field, reduce the current - reduce the field. Also measuring a magnetic field of a power cord is interesting in that the field changes as you move the meter up and down the cord. The reading will also change as you keep the meter at one point on the cable but rotate the orientation of the meter itself. The reading will also vary radically as you rotate the meter probe around the circumference of the cable at a single point on the cables length. And you need to isolate the cable under test from all other cables to avoid measuring multiple fields combined fields. You will also notice in your testing that when you move the meter probe away from the power cable the reading drops dramactically even when the distance is only an inch or two.

Thank you for taking the time try to the cable. And thank you for using our power conditioners.

No worries mate.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your response Caelin.

Meter was set to electric field testing, not magnetic field testing.

Do agree all cables radiate a magnetic field & the meter confirms what you have stated in relation to magnetic field emissions at meter distance & orientation & positioning along the cable when the meter is selected for magnetic field testing.

Last edited by MyPal; 11-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.