AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-20-2012, 02:06 AM

Default TransGuard Tg60 recommended

Recently I had a whole house stanby generator installed in order to provide an alternate means of electrical power to the house. While doing so I inquired about whole house surge protection, i.e. a device installed between the electric meter and the transfer switch that would protect the transfer switch from massive current surges and ligthning strikes. I added that I wanted a device that really worked. The installer had had previous experience with these types of devices and recommended a Transguard Tg60 by Current Technology. It has currently been installed. This industrial grade device has been a surprise. Not only has it provided us with an immense sense of security from our power line, it has also resulted in an improvement in my sound that is noticeable on virtually every CD. I am particularly sensitive to hum and any type of background noise. My background has become really quiet. Residual hum has gone to zero. Grain has been removed from an already grain free treble. This is easy to hear. My Maxxes can now play louder than my ears can stand and don't sound shrill. Midrange has opened up still more. I went to the OM to find that EMI-RFI noise was attenuated at 100KHz 50dB, at 1MHz 37dB, at 10MHz 38dB, at 100MHz 53dB. And this feature is in addition to virtually comple peace of mind against lightning and any type of surge that might damage any type of sensitive electronics in the house. Note that I had thought that my audio system had excellent filtration and surge protection already. I highly recommend this device to anyone with a highend audio system.

Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Very interesting! Thanks.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 PM

Very cool, living in Houston, I've considered a whole home generator because of hurricanes. Last hurricane some people were out of power for two weeks right down the road. Its always easy to put these kinds of things off until your sweating in the dark in the middle of the summer.

I'm am a bit surprised by your sonic improvement, I wouldn't expect a transfer switch to improve the quality of the power.

Usually these generators power everything but the A/C system or just the A/C system. Does yours power one or both?

I'd love to see some pictures of the install, inside and out.

For anyone else interested in the TG 60, here's the fact sheet.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
Very cool, living in Houston, I've considered a whole home generator because of hurricanes. Last hurricane some people were out of power for two weeks right down the road. Its always easy to put these kinds of things off until your sweating in the dark in the middle of the summer.

I'm am a bit surprised by your sonic improvement, I wouldn't expect a transfer switch to improve the quality of the power.

Usually these generators power everything but the A/C system or just the A/C system. Does yours power one or both?

I'd love to see some pictures of the install, inside and out.

For anyone else interested in the TG 60, here's the fact sheet.
It's not the Transfer Switch that causes the improvement but the Tg60. The Tg60 goes between the electric meter and the transfer switch. I didn't read the OM for the Tg60 because I did not have it installed for sonic improvement but for protection of my transfer switch. Think about it. You spend $30,000.00 on topline 60kW whole house GE generator, one that can do the whole house and that runs off NG and is of commercial quality (GE stanby generator). You think you are protected completely if power goes out. But lightning or a massive power surge for whatever reason comes in off power line zapping your extremely expensive 111 lb Transfer Switch, a really huge box installed next to the electric meter. Now you are in worse shape (maybe not because at least your fuse box is spared) than if you didn't have a generator because you have no functioning switch when the power does come back on. Yours won't till your transfer switch is replaced or bypassed. So if you are going to have a generator a surge protector IMO is a must. So I didn't read the OM, the Tg60 is just a very expensive ($2,400.00)commercial grade industrial device. So I'm sitting in my rec room after the installation and begin listening and what gives? Something is very different. The whole system is much more transparent. Like a veil has been lifted. I go down stairs and get the OM out for the Tg60 and begin reading about the filtration features. The story goes on...but I feel I am hearing the Wilson Ti tweeter in all its glory for the first time.

I'm not good at pics but I'll make an exception and send some pics of both the Tg60, Transfer Switch, and GE generator. BTW, I don't recommend listening to the Hi-Fi during a power outage but these generators are lower in harmonic distortsion than the power line, but then you lose the Tg60 because when the generator is running it is out of the current path. Be interesting and very cool (no pun intended) to be sitting in your rec with your Maxxes pumping out beautiful music at 95 dB while your neighbors are in the dark hot and sweaty. And you never run out of NG. These generators equipped with commercial motors can run for days and are quite efficient and reliable unlike some in NYC I have heard about. The pics will posted under Community. Maybe someone good with the wesite could grab'em and put'em on the Wilson Forum also.

Last edited by Charles; 11-10-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add thought
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I think I am going to do this.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Charles, seriously appreciate you posting this. I am running all Shunyata power cords and conditioners with my Maxx 3's.

2400 + labor to protect your home...my stereo equipment and better sound plus I can tell the wife it's for "our" home vs "my" stereo ;-)

I see they have few models...I wonder if something else is better...or just go the same route?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's not the Transfer Switch that causes the improvement but the Tg60. The Tg60 goes between the electric meter and the transfer switch. I didn't read the OM for the Tg60 because I did not have it installed for sonic improvement but for protection of my transfer switch. Think about it. You spend $30,000.00 on topline 60kW whole house GE generator, one that can do the whole house and that runs off NG and is of commercial quality (GE stanby generator). You think you are protected completely if power goes out. But lightning or a massive power surge for whatever reason comes in off power line zapping your extremely expensive 111 lb Transfer Switch, a really huge box installed next to the electric meter. Now you are in worse shape (maybe not because at least your fuse box is spared) than if you didn't have a generator because you have no functioning switch when the power does come back on. Yours won't till your transfer switch is replaced or bypassed. So if you are going to have a generator a surge protector IMO is a must. So I didn't read the OM, the Tg60 is just a very expensive ($2,400.00)commercial grade industrial device. So I'm sitting in my rec room after the installation and begin listening and what gives? Something is very different. The whole system is much more transparent. Like a veil has been lifted. I go down stairs and get the OM out for the Tg60 and begin reading about the filtration features. The story goes on...but I feel I am hearing the Wilson Ti tweeter in all its glory for the first time.

I'm not good at pics but I'll make an exception and send some pics of both the Tg60, Transfer Switch, and GE generator. BTW, I don't recommend listening to the Hi-Fi during a power outage but these generators are lower in harmonic distortsion than the power line, but then you lose the Tg60 because when the generator is running it is out of the current path. Be interesting and very cool (no pun intended) to be sitting in your rec with your Maxxes pumping out beautiful music at 95 dB while your neighbors are in the dark hot and sweaty. And you never run out of NG. These generators equipped with commercial motors can run for days and are quite efficient and reliable unlike some in NYC I have heard about. The pics will posted under Community. Maybe someone good with the wesite could grab'em and put'em on the Wilson Forum also.
It's defiantly a project I want to get to myself as well. Thanks for the clarification and all the great info. Look forward to the pics.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
Charles, seriously appreciate you posting this. I am running all Shunyata power cords and conditioners with my Maxx 3's.

2400 + labor to protect your home...my stereo equipment and better sound plus I can tell the wife it's for "our" home vs "my" stereo ;-)

I see they have few models...I wonder if something else is better...or just go the same route?
The beautiful thing about this is that the Tg60 is all you need. It's a big box weighing in at 45 lbs. It will totally protect your house, period. You will hear Maxx treble and upper midrange that simply must be heard to be believed. Be sure to get one with an IDS (integral disconnect switch). I understand these devices last forever. They come with a 7 year warranty. The IDS allows for in field testing and repair, if ever needed. My generator must have a bi-annual service so the Tg60 will be tested for competency twice per year in the field so there can be no doubt it is functioning properly. It also has a self monitoring LED which stays green at all times unless there is a fault/problem. Pics are up under Community.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
It's defiantly a project I want to get to myself as well. Thanks for the clarification and all the great info. Look forward to the pics.
Pics are up under "Community."
Old 11-11-2012, 11:34 PM

Looks like the TG60 is no longer available
TG50 or TG80 are shown
Looks like the 80 is the one to get
Also,looks like the company was sold to Thomas&Betts