AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 08-16-2020, 10:24 PM

Default dead diamond tweeter

If DC is getting through, it would toast tweeters pretty quickly. I’d grab a meter and measure the DC voltage, AT THE TWEETER TERMINALS.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
If DC is getting through, it would toast tweeters pretty quickly. I’d grab a meter and measure the DC voltage, AT THE TWEETER TERMINALS.
Not knowing the crossover network but usually a capacitor/s would block any DC from a suspect amplifier. As the OP says listening at higher levels then is the power amplifier output wholly sufficient to drive without any significant hf distortion, as thats what usually destroys tweeters. Just my 2p's worth, not a criticism
Old 08-17-2020, 08:32 AM

Default dead diamond tweeter

A shorted series cap in the tweeter crossover will cause low frequencies to be sent to the tweeter, causing it to fail over time. This type of crossover capacitor failure may not manifest itself as something clearly audible.

An underpowered amp driven into clipping will also fry a tweeter but I would guess this would happen in both channels, not just one.

I would at least have the crossover in the suspect speaker tested. Any electronics tech with an LCR meter can do it.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 08-17-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
Could it be a defect in the crossover, sending midrange and or bass frequenies to the tweeter. These signals have much more power and could easily overwhelm a tweeter to breaking point.
Unlikely but possible. The tweeter's high pass filter consists of a single 4.7uF polypropylene capacitor - with a whopping 1200V rating. Typically, these types of capacitors exhibit very low leakage, and being highly derated as is the case here it's unlikely to fail under any imaginable operating condition.

However, given that it's predominantly one channel that's failing it's still definitely worth testing the capacitor for leakage as well as capacitance. It might be that the cap is outside the stated 5% tolerance and hence out of spec. As an owner of 800D2's I've actually replaced my Mundorf 4.7uF SGO's with a matched pair that were 5% low in value, which errs on the safe side, and thus far no blown tweeters.

If I was designing the crossover myself I would add a parallel LCR network across the tweeter to precisely compensate for the vc resonance at 800Hz, because I suspect that this contributes to the unusually high failure rate of diamond tweeters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 802d.JPG (47.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:35 AM

Thamks for posting the crossover schematic. I agree it is highly unlikely that C3 would fail but worth checking.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 08-17-2020, 02:17 PM

I don't have any idea of what it takes to move a crossover, but if it weren't too complicated I'd be tempted to move/swap the crossovers from the left and right speakers.

If down the road you blow the tweeter in the "other" speaker then I'd start looking into the crossover.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:23 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Before I replace the tweeter I will take a look at the crossover and see if there is anything amiss. Hey,,, you never know!
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 08-17-2020, 03:58 PM

I've owned the 800 D3 for over 3 yrs now and so far never had blown tweeter(s). At times I had driven them at pretty high levels.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
I've owned the 800 D3 for over 3 yrs now and so far never had blown tweeter(s). At times I had driven them at pretty high levels.
The latest D3 models don't appear to suffer from the problem. Perhaps the revised dome geometry has made the tweeters more robust in the D3's. Crossovers are essentially the same.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The latest D3 models don't appear to suffer from the problem. Perhaps the revised dome geometry has made the tweeters more robust in the D3's. Crossovers are essentially the same.
I believe so. As long as you don't drive them with an AVR. lol. I have a friend here who's thinking to get the 802 D3 but he is going to drive them with his current $900 Marantz AV receiver (Marantz SR5011). He isn't willing to upgrade from his AVR. He currently has the Martin Logan ESL EM, which is the smallest entry level electrostats from Martin Logan. I told him even his current Martin Logan deserves much better than his AVR. And I told him if you he isn't willing to significantly upgrade from his $900 Marantz AV receiver don't even bother getting the 802 D3.