AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 12-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Retired

Yes........... put Clarity CMRs in my Cary SLI-80 integrated and it took several hundred hours to get them to settle in. My experience with good film/PTFE caps is that they are amazing for the, get this, "clarity" they provide. Same when going from a CJ Classic 60 to a Classic 60SE. Am hoping the Mundorfs are similar to the Clarity. Will be a while before I can make a final judgement. New Elekit TU-8500 preamp sounds great with the Mundorfs 'out of the box'. Fingers crossed for even better things.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-10-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Yes........... put Clarity CMRs in my Cary SLI-80 integrated and it took several hundred hours to get them to settle in. My experience with good film/PTFE caps is that they are amazing for the, get this, "clarity" they provide. Same when going from a CJ Classic 60 to a Classic 60SE. Am hoping the Mundorfs are similar to the Clarity. Will be a while before I can make a final judgement. New Elekit TU-8500 preamp sounds great with the Mundorfs 'out of the box'. Fingers crossed for even better things.
I went from Clarity MR caps to Jensen oil caps in my former Cary SLI-80. And, went from Audio1 to Mundorf Supreme EVO Silver Gold (non-oil) caps in my Cary V12R. Overall, preferred the Mundorfs caps once they broke in. May try Audio Note Copper caps in my current monoblock amps later on.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Retired

So funny................. I went from AN Copper in my SLI-80 to Clarity CMR.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-11-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
So funny................. I went from AN Copper in my SLI-80 to Clarity CMR.
YB-2,
do you recall if those were oil -or- non-oil AN coupling caps?
Old 12-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Retired

Believe they were non-oil caps. The are now singing sweetly in a refurbished Bogen amp.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:49 AM

Update:
Installed Mundorf Capacitor(s) 0.22uF 1000Vdc MCap® Supreme EVO SilverGold Black SESG

AMPS:
Two of these mundorfs now installed in each mono amplifier. Should have done this first before serious tube rolling.

PREAMP:
Same Jensen Oil caps. Same as before, no change. Only the amp caps are new.

These particular Mundorfs produce the same great (identical) results with totally different amps from a completely different manufacturer.
Same glistening strings, texture, tone, instruments sound more natural. Pianos sound like pianos. Guitars sound like guitars. Horns, clarinets, triangles.
Sound stage, decay, depth, midrange and top end clarity is there without being veiled over and yet not overly grainy, edgy, or detailed.

Worth every penny. Fun to listen to all over again.

Last edited by decooney; 03-06-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:18 PM
Retired

Indeed........ I remain very pleased with my little Elekit TU-8500 preamp with the Mundorf Supreme EVO SG coupling caps (four of them). Was about a third of the cost of the kit for just the caps, but well worth it. They have broken-in in about 1/4 the time needed for the Clarity caps in my previous venture in cap-rolling.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Indeed........ I remain very pleased with my little Elekit TU-8500 preamp with the Mundorf Supreme EVO SG coupling caps (four of them). Was about a third of the cost of the kit for just the caps, but well worth it. They have broken-in in about 1/4 the time needed for the Clarity caps in my previous venture in cap-rolling.
The burn-in cycle of highs/lows changed this time around but the net result of sound is the same as my two former amps I upgraded with these caps.

It's uncanny how completely different amps, completely different circuit design, with different type output and input tubes can actually take on the same sonic signature with the same coupling caps. Was not expecting similarity and yet it turned out that way. Pleasantly surprised.