AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 12-02-2013, 11:08 PM

Default Stephen Kovacevich plays Beethoven's Diabelli Variations

I don't play non-orchestral music often, but this is a good one...

Beethoven: Diabelli Variations, Op. 120
Stephen Kovacevich (piano)

Here is some background info I found:
"In 1819 the Viennese publisher Anton Diabelli asked 'the most excellent composers and virtuosi of Vienna and the Austrian Empire', to write a variation on a waltz theme he had composed. Beethoven was also asked, and although he at first refused, he did finally deliver a cycle of 33 variations as his own contribution to this strange competition. His set was published separately in 1823. The 50 variations by the other composers appeared a year later, under the collective title of 'National Society of Artists, Part 2'. "

I have not heard of any of the other variation versions, so Beethoven comes out on top as usual. Great music and well-recorded.

Gramophone Awards 2009, Editor's Choice

Last edited by cma29; 12-03-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:04 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to another of the superb Avison Ensemble SACD's from Linn directed by Pavlo Beznosuik

Vivaldi - 12 Violin Concerti - Opus 8 - Il cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione - Includes The four Seasons but then adds all the other 8 concerti in Op. 8.

Amazingly beautiful, extraordinary sonics.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Life is beautiful

Bach: The Conductors' Transcriptions
BBC Symphony Orchestra, cond. by Leonard Slatkin

Well played, well recorded... but I do prefer the original versions.
Good for occasional listening.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 PM

This new Biber SACD is fantastic! It consists of 12 rather brief but contrapuntally complex sonatas for string and continuo. Ars Antiqua Austria with Gunar Letzbor give very vigorous performances, and Challenge Records has some of the best sound in the business. I have only two small issues: The playing time at 46:00 is rather brief, and I can't get out of my head how much Letzbor looks like Meatloaf!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
This new Biber SACD is fantastic! It consists of 12 rather brief but contrapuntally complex sonatas for string and continuo. Ars Antiqua Austria with Gunar Letzbor give very vigorous performances, and Challenge Records has some of the best sound in the business. I have only two small issues: The playing time at 46:00 is rather brief, and I can't get out of my head how much Letzbor looks like Meatloaf!

This was already on my wish list!
I just moved it up to the top.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-04-2013, 06:05 PM

^^It doesn't come out in the US until January 14th, so I ordered it from MDT. Since you're in Belgium, it might be available now.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Suppe and Auber Overtures - Paul Paray & The Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 AM

Charles Munch and Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Ravel : Bolero; La Valse; Rapsodie Espagnole.
Debussy : Images
Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 AM

The Mandelring concludes their traversal of Mendelssohn's String Quartets. This disc pairs late and early works. The Quartetto di Cremona joins them for the youthful Octet, and it also includes Quartet Op.44 No.3 and Four Pieces Op.81. All are superbly played and recorded. Despite playing with great intensity, they never produce ugly tones. All three volumes are excellent.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Keisuke Wakao plays Mozart, Bach....