AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 AM

Default Clock experiments

Over the last year, I've been using a special rubidium clock as master clock for my DCS system. The clock is a prototype from one of the leading digital timing companies in which they synch rubidium with an ocxo to get the benefits of both.

Because this was such a step up from the standard Scarlatti and Vivaldi clocks, I decided to investigate what further refinements in clock accuracy were possible. Last week I received here a prototype clock using a BVA crystal. This is the ultimate development of the OCXO to improve phase noise by an order of magnitude.

Results? A huge increase in sound quality through a reduction of remaining digital edge. I am amazed how much cleaner the sound is. Sound has an analogue sweetness but with great resolution.

Downsides? Two main ones. First cost: the only commercial example made for the HiFi world is $35k although should be possible to build one for nearer $10-15k; second drawback is stabilisation is quite slow, typically 48 hours to get to peak performance.

It really is surprising how big an effect these timing refinements can make to sound quality.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 AM

Will an Esoteric clock work with your system? Mine was around 16K, it made a significant difference with my Esoteric separates. 35K for rubidium clock seems absurd. I use them in the radar system I manage and they are closer to 5K.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:18 PM

You misread my post. I have replaced the rubidium clock with a BVA clock. A different animal altogether. Short term accuracy is an order of magnitude ahead of the Esoteric clock!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:42 AM

Can you provide some more info on the BVA clock?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 PM

It's a prototype built around an Oscilloquartz BVA8607b double oven OCXO mounted in a damped enclosure with a stiff power supply. A bit of a bench top prototype but not so difficult to turn into a finished product.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 PM

Very interesting post. I've been creeping up the dCS stack...I know the clock and the clock cables make a BIG difference. I've used the dCS U Clock and currently the dCS Scarlatti Clock.

Clock cables i've tried are the stock dCS, Cardas Lightning 15 (excellent value and smashes the stock cables), Purist Proteous Provectus Praesto and now Transparent Ref XL digital.

All BNC to BNC

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus MM2 & Trans Ref MM MM2 Intcnct.
Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC & dCS Scarlatti Clock & Transport with Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Old 07-26-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
Very interesting post. I've been creeping up the dCS stack...I know the clock and the clock cables make a BIG difference. I've used the dCS U Clock and currently the dCS Scarlatti Clock. Clock cables i've tried are the stock dCS, Cardas Lightning 15 (excellent value and smashes the stock cables), Purist Proteous Provectus Praesto and now Transparent Ref XL digital. All BNC to BNC Speakers: Rockport Altair 2 Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus MM2 & Trans Ref MM MM2 Intcnct. Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9) Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC & dCS Scarlatti Clock & Transport with Transparent Reference XL Digital cables Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
There are big improvements to be had by installing a master clock with higher short term accuracy than the DCS clock. Certainly clock cables also worth experimenting with. I've had good results with the Vertex range although they are not well known in the USA. Apart from those, my cables of choice are Siltech with MIT for power to digital components. But do improve the clock before the cables: there's more to be gained with doing that.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Are u talking about the master clock or the reference clock ?

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custodian View Post
You misread my post. I have replaced the rubidium clock with a BVA clock. A different animal altogether. Short term accuracy is an order of magnitude ahead of the Esoteric clock!
Sorry about that, I will have to look into it.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
Are u talking about the master clock or the reference clock ?
I'm talking about adding an external reference in addition to the DCS clock. The additional clock outputs a reference 10mHz signal which the DCS clock locks to rather than its own Clock.