AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Formerly Gaucho1

FWIW, I was unable to use BT keyboard and mouse with my QB-9. Whenever the mouse moved I got interference/static. I use Rowmote or Remote Desktop to control the Mac Mini. No problems since.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
First of all, try the fixes we've suggested before you work yourself up about this, there's probably an easy solution.

Second, Amarra, Audirvana and Pure Music are 3 different software packages that all basically do the same thing, manage how your downloaded music is played back and making it sound much better than iTunes does. Each is designed for Mac, each works with iTunes, each offers 15 day free trials, and you only need one. Google each, look at their websites, read the reviews. You won't have to reload your tunes.

What kind of files do you save your music as? MP3, ALAC, AIFF, FLAC, WAV? If you're just using lossy compressed files (like MP3), you're missing out on a lot of good sound. I'm asking because you said you have 36GB of music, which suggests lossy compressed files if you've got a lot of music. Many of us have 1 or 2 TB music libraries because lossless (like FLAC or AIFF) takes up a lot of disc space (because it's not compressed). Fortunately HD memory is now cheap.

Finally, a Mac Mini can be a good cost effective option, but I'd recommend 8 GB of RAM (to cache music), a solid state internal hard drive, and keeping your library on an external HD (backed up to another external HD).

Hope some of this helps - just work slowly towards resolving the issue. As I said in another thread, if a mope like me can figure this out, anybody can. ; )
I have the expensive version of Amarra from about two years ago, and it made an impressive difference. It is my understanding the newer versions are much cheaper. I have not been able to download them due to our LAN constraints on the ship, but my unit has peformed very well over time. I am also using a Nordost USB cable that was reasonably priced and 1.5 meters in length.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk80 View Post
harri009, no I have not physically moved the QB-9 and tried the stock USB cable that came with it. That actually is what Ayre suggested I try when I spoke to them on the phone. I am strongly thinking I do not have something configured correctly on my iMac. I just hope that it is not the case that I can not use the QB-9 to listen to music while I work at my computer. I still have a few things to try to isolate the problem. It kind of defies logic that a cheap USB cable will work better than a purpose dedicated USB cable from a company that all they do is make audio cables. Go figure.....
It actually does not defy logic at all.

Long USB cables are prone to drop-outs.

I would do exactly as Ayre suggested.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM

Well, so much for Ayre's USB cable. I turned everything on earlier today, started out playing fine. Went to turn on the Blue Tooth keyboard, hit a key and no sound. I looked and the QB-9 still reads 96 not ---. So it is getting a signal. Funny thing is iTunes, stops when this drop occurs. I do not mean shuts down but the time 'tracker' on the top of the page shows the song is not playing. Hitting play will not get it going again. FYI....I am using the most current version of iTunes. Took a break out of frustration, went into the office just now, unplugged everything, moved the QB-9, got the Ayre USB cable out of the box, the XLR's just reached, fired everything up, sound=good. Pressed the button on the keyboard to turn it on and display showed it was connected, hit a key, dropped the signal. So it is NOT my Transparent 3 m USB cable. It has to be something in the iMac's settings. I have gone over the set up instructions several times. Everything is as it is supposed to be except as I had mentioned before, in Utilities-System Information-USB, the Ayre USB Interface is shown in an USB Bus. There are two USB High-Speed Bus inputs, but I can not get the Ayre to show up on one of those. The instructions do mention using a non shared High Speed USB Bus. I have unplugged everything, only plugging in the QB-9 one USB input at a time, refreshing and can not get it into the High Speed Bus. This has to be the problem. Ideas???

Might it be the Measure/Listen setting or the Class 1/Class 2 dip switch. FYI..all settings are as they came from the factory; Listen and Rsrv A (Class 1).

Still open for any and all thoughts....Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Just noticed something. Was shutting down the computer to go watch my Wolverines, I closed and shut down iTunes. I happen to glance at the QB-9. Shouldn't it read --- as there was no signal being received as iTunes was closed? It still was and still is reading 96.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 PM

At this point, I don't think this is a cable problem or a QB-9 problem. It seems pretty clear that it's a problem with the USB, using Bluetooth, the iMac or all of the above. But it also seems clear that the problem only arises when you use the bluetooth mouse/keyboard. So unless you find another cure, and I'm not trying to be cute, sounds like you need to go back to an old fashioned wired keyboard and mouse. : (
Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Music Provides Joy

Yeah, doesn't sound like the problem is with your QB-9 at all. Something is messed up with your iMac.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk80 View Post
Just noticed something. Was shutting down the computer to go watch my Wolverines, I closed and shut down iTunes. I happen to glance at the QB-9. Shouldn't it read --- as there was no signal being received as iTunes was closed? It still was and still is reading 96.
No, because your iMac's OS thinks the Ayre is your audio device. iTunes is just one of many programs on your Mac that uses the audio device. Shutting down iTunes does not shut down audio output on your iMac. But it also tells me that audio devices are not properly set up in Audio Midi.

Just a wild guess, but I don't think you have read through everything properly:
  • As per the User Manual for your DAC, if you have it set for Rsrv A, then the DAC will be seen as a USB 1.1 device, and will not show up in your resource list as a Hi-Speed device.
  • You don't seem to realise that the Mac USB resource list will allocate USB2.0/Hi-Speed only when a USB2.0 device is connected.
  • If you set the Ayre to Rsrv B, you should then find the USB port connection is Hi-Speed. Try this.
  • The Ayre behaves differently when Power A or Power B is selected. Ayre recommend Power A for a dedicated music server, and Power B for a multi-purpose computer. Which are you using? Try the other one.
  • You have said the Ayre is showing a 96kHz stream. Why? It seems, although you didn't respond to Chris' or my query, that your ripped music is compressed. If so, why is the Ayre set at 96kHz. I assume you did not look at the configuration in the Audio Midi utility. Did you read the set-up guide on Ayre's web site, which is similar to the Wavelength guide I had given you the link to in an earlier post? The Ayre guide: A/D Apple
  • One of the benefits of Audirvana Plus is it will take over audio control from Apple's Core Audio, so you don't have to worry about Audio Midi configurations: device selection, upsampling rates, etc. This only takes 5 minutes to download and install, as per the link I already gave you.
I agree that the cable is not the problem, it is USB sharing, and the way your BT keyboard is grabbing USB resources. This is a computer problem. Try the above changes. If they don't work, don't use a BT keyboard as Chris suggested, or just move to a Mac Mini - which will be better in the long run anyway.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 PM

I will switch to Rsrv B and see if it shows up in the Hi Speed bus. I have been using iTunes for over 7 years. To my knowledge I have not made any changes in the downloading speed for the music I have bought from iTunes. Several years ago I did change the uploading speed setting to Apple lossless for the CD's that I have imported. Obviously prior to that they were at a slower rate. Is there a way to look at a particular song and see what rate it was imported at?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Update: switching to the Rsrv B may have been the ticket. Typing in multiple things on the numeric keyboard did NOT cause any drops. Crossing my fingers.

In reading the Wavelength link it mentions using the 96 setting if you have both std Redbook cd's as well as higer rez files. If I had to guess I would say I am pretty close to 50/50. Which setting would you suggest.