AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM

But remember, even expensive cables (like expensive gear) can have glitches and may not work well in your system. I've also read somewhere, I think, that long USB cables can be problematic. That's why I've always kept mine to .5m or less.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk80 View Post
harri009, no I have not physically moved the QB-9 and tried the stock USB cable that came with it. That actually is what Ayre suggested I try when I spoke to them on the phone. I am strongly thinking I do not have something configured correctly on my iMac. I just hope that it is not the case that I can not use the QB-9 to listen to music while I work at my computer. I still have a few things to try to isolate the problem. It kind of defies logic that a cheap USB cable will work better than a purpose dedicated USB cable from a company that all they do is make audio cables. Go figure.....
I would look at reverting to the supplied cheap cable as a troubleshooting tool, and not a permanent move. If on the outside chance you have a defective Transparent USB, this would prove it. Troubleshooting is best done on a process of elimination of one variable at a time so as not to obscure what specific change yielded a result. Then once you get running, go back to the longer USB (or one that works).

Given that you are having drop outs when you use your other USB devices (wireless keyboard and mouse) it is highly likely to be a USB hub/port issue as Chris stated. Seems best to rule the cable out though, just in case you have multiple issues.
Primary System: Ayre KX-5, Ayre VX-5, Ayre C-5XEmp, Ayre QB-9 DSD: Sonus Faber Olympica III: Audioquest Meteor: Yamaha RXV-1800, Oppo BDP-103, Paradigm center and rear surrounds, Paradigm Ultracube 12 sub, Audience ar6-TSD
Office System: Luxman L-507uX, Esoteric K-05, Harbeth 30.1, Dual REL T5 subs, Nordost Tyr 2 cabling, Audience ar6-TSD
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM

I will try the stock cable if the XLR's reach. May to slide the iMac as well. The Transparent USB cable was in the chain for at least a couple of years working with my previous DAC, PS Audio DL III.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM

I don't think it is your cable. As Chris has alluded to, and as you keep finding out, you have a problem with sharing USB ports. It is likely that each time your BT keyboard connects, it is doing so to different ports. You'll need to troubleshoot that issue.

You should also see what Apple's Core Audio is doing, via the Audio Midi utility.

None of the problems you are having seem to have anything to do with the Ayre DAC.

This DAC is too good to be using with iTunes, you should get a significant benefit using one of the memory players with it: Pure Music/Audirvana/Amarra, as others suggested. Audirvana Plus can be a bit aggressive with the OS if you are multi-tasking, so PM may be best. You should also find more stable performance using these, properly configured of course.

At least you know it can sound good, so worth persevering. USB resource sharing is crappy. If I was working on a computer as well as streaming music from it at the same time, I would use Firewire. Not that you want to hear that
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM

I have to ask what is probably a stupid question but I have only ever used itunes. Are the other names everyone seems to be using different softwares? Seeing how I am using an Apple OS are some more Apple friendly than others? Have to be honest this thought scares the sh@t out me as I have almost 32 GB of music on my computer. Is this going to be a nightmare to move over? Re-ripping? That would be days of work.

Yes it would involve more money, but what would your thoughts be of getting say a Mac Mini, connecting that to the QB-9 and only using that for music playback? Still keeping the iMac for 'normal' computer functions. Could still listen to music while working on my iMac but isolate it from my music library. Would the Blue tooth from the iMac still muck things up possibly with the Mac Mini?

What does not make any sense is that I was using the PS Audio DL III for years, and NEVER dropped the audio signal. Never had an issue with my audio library. Same USB cable, computer, keyboard, set up, everything. The only link in the chain that I changed was the DAC. Changed the DAC to what I still believe is a superior piece of gear and now I have all these Gremlins to chase. Such is the hobby we have chosen...
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 PM

First of all, try the fixes we've suggested before you work yourself up about this, there's probably an easy solution.

Second, Amarra, Audirvana and Pure Music are 3 different software packages that all basically do the same thing, manage how your downloaded music is played back and making it sound much better than iTunes does. Each is designed for Mac, each works with iTunes, each offers 15 day free trials, and you only need one. Google each, look at their websites, read the reviews. You won't have to reload your tunes.

What kind of files do you save your music as? MP3, ALAC, AIFF, FLAC, WAV? If you're just using lossy compressed files (like MP3), you're missing out on a lot of good sound. I'm asking because you said you have 36GB of music, which suggests lossy compressed files if you've got a lot of music. Many of us have 1 or 2 TB music libraries because lossless (like FLAC or AIFF) takes up a lot of disc space (because it's not compressed). Fortunately HD memory is now cheap.

Finally, a Mac Mini can be a good cost effective option, but I'd recommend 8 GB of RAM (to cache music), a solid state internal hard drive, and keeping your library on an external HD (backed up to another external HD).

Hope some of this helps - just work slowly towards resolving the issue. As I said in another thread, if a mope like me can figure this out, anybody can. ; )
Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 PM

Not a stupid question at all. Yes, the other names are basically audio programs that can work in conjunction with iTunes, or independently from it. But they basically take control of audio playback. Pure Music, Audirvana, and Amarra are all Apple OS software, and are not available on the Windows platform.

They have a few advantages:
  • They will switch sample rates automatically, which iTunes cannot. If you have compressed music, redbook, or high resolution in your playlists, these programs will play all of them.
  • They load the track into memory (RAM) and play it from there rather than from the disk.
If your iMac is using OS-X (Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion), you can use any of these. You can download trial versions of Pure Music and Audirvana to see if you like them. They are both under $100 if you decide to buy one.

I use dedicated Mac Minis in 3 of my music systems, and think it is the best way to go, rather than "sharing" on a work computer. You will be able to control the Mac Mini from your iMac using Screen Share. If you buy a Mac Mini, best to have 8GB of RAM for use with the audio players already mentioned.

You could leave the music on your iMac, and share the folder so the Mac Mini can access it. But I think it would be better to transfer it. Given you can buy 34GB USB memory sticks, it will be easy to copy it across. If you have a wireless setup, you will also be able to copy from the iMac to your Mac Mini over the wireless network.

32GB of music is not very much. If it is going to take you days to re-rip it, it sounds like you have ripped this in a heavily compressed format? If you are using iTunes to rip, you need to make sure you have Error Correction selected, and that it is ripping to a lossless codec, such as AIFF. If you have not done this, you will need to re-rip your library

A key difference between your PS Audio and the Ayre DAC is that the PS Audio uses an older, isynchronous USB receiver that is USB1.1 and limited to16bit/44kHz bandwidth, ie Redbook. The Ayre uses a (very good) asynchronous USB2.0 Hi-Speed interface, and supports high resolution music. It seems you iMac is having a problem with USB2.0

Ayre use asynchronous USB developed by Gordon Rankin of Wavelength, and so don't have too much computer expertise themselves. Gordon has written quite a bit of information on using USB DACs on Macs which you may find helpful:
Wavelength Audio, USB DACS, Setup information for Macintosh Computers

If you want to use something like Pure Music, you will find plenty of set up details there:
CHANNEL D - Pure Music

Pure Music is quite a powerful program, and you may find it a bit daunting to set up. Audirvana is simpler, and may be a better bet to "play" with at first:
Audirvana | The Sound of Your Dreams

I agree, it can be frustrating to get everything working together, but worth hanging in there as you should potentially get very good sound at the end of it
Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM

I see Chris types faster than I, LOL!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
I see Chris types faster than I, LOL!
I'm just encouraged that we agreed on everything - that suggests that we might even be right! : )
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Have you called Ayre for help, I would think they have run this with many setups and know what it takes to make it " fail "...and the fix for it.