AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 12-31-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Air Tight VS Kondo

Well, I had the chance to view 2 Japanese High End Tube combos performing against one another.

1. Air Tight ATE2001 Reference (top Pre-amp with build in Phono Stage) + ATM 300 Stereo Power Amplifier (2x300B Tubes @ 8 Watts Per Channel).

2. Kondo's G70 Pre Amp (NO Phono Stage) + Souga (4x2a3 Tubes - 2 per channel again @ 8 Watts Per Channel).

Needless to say, the guy who audition (not me, of course. I am just a passer-by) was smitten and probably will go for combo "2".

Local pricing - Combo "2" costs way much more. Performance? Well, both are 8 waters, BUT the Kondo combo is so much more ..... and outrightly so ..... when played thru the Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Omega.

Seriously, I could live with any of the combo BUT if money is not an issue, I'll pass both! Will go straight for the Kondo M1000 MKII + Gakuon II.

New Year 2012 Resolution - Get that combo ... What a joke, I can never afford it

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Well, I had the chance to view 2 Japanese High End Tube combos performing against one another.

1. Air Tight ATE2001 Reference (top Pre-amp with build in Phono Stage) + ATM 300 Stereo Power Amplifier (2x300B Tubes @ 8 Watts Per Channel).

2. Kondo's G70 Pre Amp (NO Phono Stage) + Souga (4x2a3 Tubes - 2 per channel again @ 8 Watts Per Channel).

Needless to say, the guy who audition (not me, of course. I am just a passer-by) was smitten and probably will go for combo "2".

Local pricing - Combo "2" costs way much more. Performance? Well, both are 8 waters, BUT the Kondo combo is so much more ..... and outrightly so ..... when played thru the Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Omega.

Seriously, I could live with any of the combo BUT if money is not an issue, I'll pass both! Will go straight for the Kondo M1000 MKII + Gakuon II.

New Year 2012 Resolution - Get that combo ... What a joke, I can never afford it

Cheers!
Nice demo Jerry! Masaki-san actuaaly prefers Ongaku to Gakuon even though it has half the power. He says it is more sweet sounding. Sounds like it is time to get the combo my friend and you CAN afford it!

Go for it and happy new year!

howie
Old 12-31-2011, 01:54 PM

Well you guys over seas are pretty lucky when it comes to having access to demoing some exotica equipment. I'm in search of 300b amp stereo or mono. Jerry it's interesting that you got to listen to the Air Tight ATM-300 since that is one of the amps I'm researching. I'm also researching Audion's Golden Dream 2 300B mono amps and their Quattro 2 preamp as well as the Audio Note Conquest Silver Signature with a M3 or M6 preamp. Jerry,Howie or anyone else have any opinions on the sound, quality, customer service besides me being crazy.

John
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 PM

John,

I really like the Air Tight stuff and it is much more reasonably priced than the Kondo stuff though does sound very different in a taste sort of way. Have you considered the Nagra 300b amp? Fraid I don't know much about Uk Audio Note. They have so many models I haven't worked out what is what yet!

Howie
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
John,

I really like the Air Tight stuff and it is much more reasonably priced than the Kondo stuff though does sound very different in a taste sort of way. Have you considered the Nagra 300b amp? Fraid I don't know much about Uk Audio Note. They have so many models I haven't worked out what is what yet!

Howie
Agree .... Air Tight combo of ATE 2001 Reference Phono Pre + ATM 211 Mono Power is a very good combination. Yet, the price would be much less than the Kondo M1000 + Gakuon II Mono's.

As for Audio Note UK, there's so many levels of models, its really confusing, plus I do not really like very much the way the gears were 'boxed" up. Kinda not befitting the pricing they called for, even though one can sing much about the innards.

Tube pre/power is so varied, you can hunt a long time before making the decision to plonk down your monies .... and still would be thinking if you did make the right "optimized" choice.

I suppose thats what HiFi is all about ... always wondering ... always thinking and always yearning for what was out there .... IF ...

Cheers!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Howie and Jerry,

Thanks for your input. I never really though about Nagra. Built quality looks A1 but not the sexiest looking piece to me. You guys are right about Audio Note having a ton of lines. I've come to the conclusion after playing with big dollar Burmester for the last three years and now playing with a very inexpensive Triode-Japan 300b SER integrated for the last 2 months. I want to be in the middle somewhere $$$. Is that possible on AudioAficonado.org
Jerry you still loving your mod Leben?
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 01-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Mod Leben sounded great BUT unfortunately, it was discovered.

No amount of words I can conjure would make myself sound credible ... so in the end, traded it in for the Shunyata Hydra Talos power conditioner.

If ever one day I can muster enough courage to say the words ... "2nd system", Leben would be one brand I would consider if I don't want to spend too much. And mod it I would.

Cheers!