AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 11-24-2017, 10:45 PM
Mikado463's Avatar
Mikado463 Mikado463 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
A lot of hand-waving.
LOL...... agreed, I suspect one should get some of those magic pebbles to go along.........
__________________
Cheers .......Dave
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-24-2017, 11:50 PM
audio bill's Avatar
audio bill audio bill is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,351
Default

Seems likely to be a Zobel network implemented with high quality components being sold at an extreme "high end" price.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-25-2017, 04:30 AM
Art Vandelay's Avatar
Art Vandelay Art Vandelay is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Seems likely to be a Zobel network implemented with high quality components being sold at an extreme "high end" price.
Impedance correction of what exactly though? With every speaker presenting a different impedance there's no such thing as generic impedance correction.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-25-2017, 06:34 PM
Rick721 Rick721 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 91
Wink

Here's more info on the Spec Real-Sound Processor in this review

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-...pec-rsa-m3-ex/
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:55 AM
David David is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 189
Default

I auditioned a pair of both the 805 D3 and 705 S2 models at Best Buy, but not on the same day. I thought the 705 s2's sounded better at less than half the price so I bought them. They are still breaking in but sound wonderful.

My impressions of the 805 D3's was that they sounded more impressive than the 705 s2's, but less natural. The leading edge of the notes sounded too sharp to me and there seemed to be a big hole somewhere in the upper midrange. The same personality was present in the 705 D3's but was more muted, and to me, more appealng.

My bias is classical music so I appreciate a natural accurate sound rendered to acoustic instruments. I also like hearing natural hall ambiance. To my ear, even the 705 s2's slightly exaggerated the depth of the sound field to produce a beautiful but not always accurate sense of depth. Chamber music seemed to be coming from a big warm hall not the actual smaller venue.

In spite of this criticism, I am thrilled with the vividness (dynamics) of the music, imaging, and overall musicality.
__________________
David, a/k/a David10024

PC server - Lynx L22 card;Technics Sp10 w/ Grado Reference; Sony NV9100ES SACD; C712; MC402; D'Apolito designed speakers: Modified Super Aria Seas Milenium Tweeter, 2 Accuton ceramic mids, 2 Cabasse 8"woofers
Edit/Delete Message
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-15-2018, 05:06 AM
Art Vandelay's Avatar
Art Vandelay Art Vandelay is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I auditioned a pair of both the 805 D3 and 705 S2 models at Best Buy, but not on the same day. I thought the 705 s2's sounded better at less than half the price so I bought them. They are still breaking in but sound wonderful.

My impressions of the 805 D3's was that they sounded more impressive than the 705 s2's, but less natural. The leading edge of the notes sounded too sharp to me and there seemed to be a big hole somewhere in the upper midrange. The same personality was present in the 705 D3's but was more muted, and to me, more appealng.

My bias is classical music so I appreciate a natural accurate sound rendered to acoustic instruments. I also like hearing natural hall ambiance. To my ear, even the 705 s2's slightly exaggerated the depth of the sound field to produce a beautiful but not always accurate sense of depth. Chamber music seemed to be coming from a big warm hall not the actual smaller venue.

In spite of this criticism, I am thrilled with the vividness (dynamics) of the music, imaging, and overall musicality
Pretty much sums up my impressions too. Even if cost was no object the 705S2 would be my first choice stand-mount at the moment. They're that good.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is online now
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 4,274
Default

This is part of what Ty Pendlebury said in a recent review of the new line of Elac speakers:
"Steve Guttenberg recently reviewed the likable and identically priced B&W 705 S2 and in our listening room the Elac Adante AS-61 simply dwarf them. The fit and finish of the Elac speakers is far superior, and the extra physical volume and larger bass driver should translate to deeper bass."
__________________
Glenn...
Accuphase T-106 Canton Reference 9K Clearaudio SM Pro RCM Manley Labs Mahi monoblocs Oppo 203 Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk Schiit Saga & Valhalla 2 Sennheiser HD650 Sony TA-F707ES & ST-J75 SurgeX XR-315 VPI Capital Scout, 2x JMW9 Sig w/Lyra, Ortofon K-b & 2M Blk, AT33R & AT150Ti WireWorld Eclipse Gold & Silver 7s & Nano-Eclipse Yamaha T-85
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 AM
David David is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 189
Default

Interestingly, Guttenberg doesn't say the Elacs sound better. He seems to say, as floor standers, they are physically larger (dwarf) the 705 s2s with likely better base.
__________________
David, a/k/a David10024

PC server - Lynx L22 card;Technics Sp10 w/ Grado Reference; Sony NV9100ES SACD; C712; MC402; D'Apolito designed speakers: Modified Super Aria Seas Milenium Tweeter, 2 Accuton ceramic mids, 2 Cabasse 8"woofers
Edit/Delete Message
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 AM
David David is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Interestingly, Guttenberg doesn't say the Elacs sound better. He seems to say, as floor standers, they are physically larger (dwarf) the 705 s2s with likely better base.
My mistake. I confused the AF 61 61 with the AS 61.
__________________
David, a/k/a David10024

PC server - Lynx L22 card;Technics Sp10 w/ Grado Reference; Sony NV9100ES SACD; C712; MC402; D'Apolito designed speakers: Modified Super Aria Seas Milenium Tweeter, 2 Accuton ceramic mids, 2 Cabasse 8"woofers
Edit/Delete Message
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-16-2018, 08:15 AM
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is online now
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 4,274
Default

I took his comment to mean the sound of the Elac dwarfed that of the B&W. Pretty 'unprecise' language. Think the take-away was that the Elac's were preferred. But, the truth lies in your own ears, not theirs.
__________________
Glenn...
Accuphase T-106 Canton Reference 9K Clearaudio SM Pro RCM Manley Labs Mahi monoblocs Oppo 203 Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk Schiit Saga & Valhalla 2 Sennheiser HD650 Sony TA-F707ES & ST-J75 SurgeX XR-315 VPI Capital Scout, 2x JMW9 Sig w/Lyra, Ortofon K-b & 2M Blk, AT33R & AT150Ti WireWorld Eclipse Gold & Silver 7s & Nano-Eclipse Yamaha T-85
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 AM.

Follow @AudioAficionado
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase