AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 07-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I have been doing an in home multi week demo of TA Reference interconnects and speaker cables. I currently have all "super" level stuff.

Now...I should say I am a big party pooper on the whole cable business in general. I just don't see how a freaking wire can sound different than another wire. But here I am, mixing and matching and seeing what's what.

Surprisingly (to me), I hear the biggest difference in the balanced IC between my pre and power amps! I thought if I heard anything at ALL, it would be the speaker cables, and I really thought IC's were basically a scam.

Do you guys subscribe to the garbage in, garbage out theory as far as an IC mattering more than speaker cable? If that's the case, I am not sure why my dac to pre IC doesn't make much difference at all.

But with all Ref installed at once, things sound very, very good.
In my demos, IC's between my source and amp yielded the most noticeable results.

No idea why. It is pretty tough to A/B speaker cable since it takes so long to change them. Either way, I'm a believer in IC's 1st. And if I have to squint to notice a difference, I don't buy.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Did you disconnect the battery first?
I am NOT hooking up battery cables to my sasha's just to see if things sound worse! I'll take his word for it!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Did you disconnect the battery first?
A good recommendation. That would make quite a difference... especially to the voice coils who don't like DC.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 AM

I am so mad that these TA Ref ICs are this good. I can't afford this hobby anymore! Do I get a new turntable or ICs? Sheesh!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I am so mad that these TA Ref ICs are this good. I can't afford this hobby anymore! Do I get a new turntable or ICs? Sheesh!
TA Refs made life easier and harder for me simultaneously. I initially auditioned TA Ref MM1s all around just so that I could eliminate them as an option. Boy, was I wrong. So I purchased them, right? Here's how my life became easier: I no longer need to look for cables. I'm a Transparent convert indefinitely. Here's how my life was made more difficult: I now am compelled to upgrade to TA Ref MM2. But it's gonna cost... But I really love what Transparent cabling has done for my system.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
In my demos, IC's between my source and amp yielded the most noticeable results.

No idea why.
IMO, which is shared by others, is that all cabling is important but that which carries the smallest amount of voltage (TT to phono pre for example) can be the most critical when it comes to selection.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post

TA Refs made life easier and harder for me simultaneously. I initially auditioned TA Ref MM1s all around just so that I could eliminate them as an option. Boy, was I wrong. So I purchased them, right? Here's how my life became easier: I no longer need to look for cables. I'm a Transparent convert indefinitely. Here's how my life was made more difficult: I now am compelled to upgrade to TA Ref MM2. But it's gonna cost... But I really love what Transparent cabling has done for my system.
Can you describe what it is they have done for your system?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Can you describe what it is they have done for your system?
Thanks for the query. I can try to describe what I experienced. I was using Analysis Plus Big Silver Ovals all around when I switched over. Technically the AP Big Silver Ovals performed better than most cables, due to their design. See the website for details. I had traded in MIT Oracle V2.1s (all around) for the APs. I had just renovated my living room, and couldn't afford the IC lengths needed to complete the system so I went with APs. I liked what the APs did. As mentioned earlier, I tried TA based purely to rule them out. When I plug them in, I simply got more. Much more. The system even seemed to play louder at the same levels. Huh ? The amount of information & emotion that was being revealed with the TA was astonishing. And I'm told that as I move up the line, more information along and MORE EMOTION will continue to be doled up.

Now, keep in mind that I had the APs run through the wall and terminated neatly right near the amps. The TAs run across the floor. You think I care ? The TAs are here to stay for good. My upgrade path looks like this: TA Ref (all aorund) MM1s - TA Ref (all around) MM2s - TA Ref XL MM2s - TA Ref MM. I think I could stop there and be right where I wanna be.

My advice: try them on. They work synergistically very well with Wilson & Lamm. In fact, I'm told that Wilson internally uses TA cabling for their speakers. Give 'em a test drive .
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
The amount of information & emotion that was being revealed with the TA was astonishing.
BINGO! Simply incredible cables IMO.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post

BINGO! Simply incredible cables IMO.
YEZZIR!! And I'm keepin' 'em.