AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Ye' Old Workshop

Ye' Old Workshop Build it or Break it, Never Fear!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Radical Lab Man

Default Getting into the MC 2505

One of the guys brought up "Vintage Gear" and mentioned the MC 2505. Since I have some time while the other amp sits waiting for parts, I've decided to dig into the 2505 which still works BTW, it just doesn't sound good!!

The electronics are an interesting example of U.S. technology in the '60s along with the Space Program and the Boeing 727 jetliner, etc. So here are some photos. In just 2 or 3 hours, I've polished it up nicely and changed out almost 20 of the old and cruddy screws.

Many of the screws will need to be replaced.

As stated.. it's a nice specimen of American electronics, but it simply sounds flat and cardboard-like. The obvious first cut diagnosis is to re-cap, but some of those ganged power supply capacitors are NLA (not available) and other axial lead caps look a bit strange.

What are those components that look like pieces of candy in a yellow, red and white wrapper?

-Gregory

Last edited by Gregory; 06-27-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Listener in Training

Gregory,
Great pictures. The first one makes it look pristine, and then your close-ups are a revelation! I'm not a vintage guy at all, but would love to some day have something like that as a project. For a ~40 year old piece of equipment to still be working it's a testament to the workmanship for which Mac is famous.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Gregory,
Nice pics, and this looks like another good project.
Maybe Terry DeWick can point you to a place to get the Power Supply CAPs, or some replacement that will work in place of exact replacements.

You do very nice work, and deserve to build your self a real nice workbench, so you can get out of the kitchen.

I look forward to more of your posts.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Radical Lab Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Gregory,
Great pictures. The first one makes it look pristine, and then your close-ups are a revelation! I'm not a vintage guy at all, but would love to some day have something like that as a project. For a ~40 year old piece of equipment to still be working it's a testament to the workmanship for which Mac is famous.
Well thanks.. the forum will allow only 10 inserted pics so four or five had to be cut. Here is a view of the MC 2505 with just the meter top-cover removed.

Some who have come over and seen it powered-up in past years have done a double-take checking it out. Sitting there it looks really sharp, but a close inspection reveals that it's in need of some TLC. If you're a `detail´ kind of person, it it can be very satisfying.

-Gregory
Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Radical Lab Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC352 View Post
Gregory, Nice pics, and this looks like another good project. You... deserve to build your self a real nice workbench so you can get out of the kitchen.
WHAT!! the water cooler is in there, and what if I want to get a quick sandwich or raid the fridge?

Quote:
I look forward to more of your posts.
-Gregory
Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
WHAT!! the water cooler is in there, and what if I want to get a quick sandwich or raid the fridge?

-Gregory
Add that to your workshop - One refrigerator, One Water Cooler, 10,000 tools.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Radical Lab Man

So where do we start? Murray says some guys re-stuff the ganged filter caps with axials or radials, and others just leave them in place and attach caps under the chassis. This might be too much like stepping into Terry's realm. What's available for axial Muse and KZ electrolytics? Maybe check out HME? Where can I order a pair of replacement 9300uF cans with date code: week 49 of 1972?

Also the drive boards are Mc part #043-916 which calls for Service manual 039-016. My service manual is for the earliest 2505 and is substantially different.

-Gregory

p.s. I think it's ok to change any screws on a McIntosh with new ones, but messing with the knobs and end-caps is a no-no.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Music Non-Stop...

The MC2505 is such a great little amp--nice photos and write-up.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Radical Lab Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproink View Post
The MC2505 is such a great little amp--nice photos and write-up.
I'd like to take it down so the four heat sinks are off the chassis, and the two driver boards are out for a good decrudding and degriming, but cannot think of a good way to do it. All of the final transistor wires would need to come off the driver boards (there are solder sleeves) and the two green and two red power supply wires would have to come off. Here are some pics:

View of the four heat sink assemblies.

Wires from driver boards to transistors on heat sink. Note the two red power supply wires coming in from the left.

So it's something to ponder. Where to desolder? It will be fun and satisfying to rebuild (reassemble) the final amplifier stages after everything is deoxidized, defluxed recapped and restored.

-Gregory
Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Music Non-Stop...

You can also loosen the caps and transformers on the chassis and polish under them (complete chrome restoration!).