AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 PM
Go Dawgs

Default Any Guitar Players here? Thinking of starting.

So I was seriously thinking of starting guitar lessons. Other than a brief stint in elementary school, I've never played an instrument, so I figure better late than never, right? My 8 year old won a Fender Squire guitar and started lessons but of course isn't exactly dying to practice every day, so I thought it would be pretty cool if it was something that we could learn together.

My favorite instrument when it comes to listening to music, especially on a good recording is electric guitar, although I'm torn between whether I like the Fender sound (Hendrix, SRV, David Gilmour) or the Gibson Les Paul sound (Slash, Joe Bonamassa, Jimmy Page) better.

I thought I would ask some of the forum members about their guitar journey and whether or not anyone has some great advice for a beginner like me (other than practice practice practice.....I understand that's the number one thing so we can skip that). With my love for music, I think that the interest will stay with me, I understand very basic music theory, I don't think I'll have trouble memorizing chords etc.......what I'm most afraid of is that I wonder if I'm coordinated enough to learn to play well. My left hand pretty much sucks at anything, but I think that if I can handle the physical part of playing than I'll be OK. What is some advice/stories if any out there?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 PM

I took up the guitar a few years ago when my wife surprised me with a beautiful Martin Jumbo acoustic guitar for my birthday. I had an obligation to give it a go. It is a nice extension of our audiophile hobby and to the trained ear it really is relatable to tone and timbre of our system. I now understand what a nicely recorded guitar should sound like and the different types and tones the artist was intending to record.

I have since bought a Taylor 12 string and it makes a beautiful sound! I am not very good, have tried lessons but that didn’t take. Once you get some serious time learning and practicing you can have some fun. It’s also therapeutic and good for the mind.

It’s also great therapy for us long suffering Vol fans but at least basketball has started. I would highly recommend it and hope you decide to do it....keep us posted.
Allnic H3000/CJ ET5/Mcintosh 501's
Thiel CS3.6
Thiel CS6
MIT EVO 2 IC
Straightwire Maestro II SC
Shunyata Denali SV2
Shunyata Sigma XC
Wywires Juice PC’s
Kubala Sosna PC’s
Dedicated 20 amp lines
Porter Ports
Arcici Ref Suspense Stand
Rives acoustically designed room

Shore House
Basis 1400 Signature/Hadcock 228/Ortofon Jubilee
ARC PH 5/Meridian 200/Meridian 263 DAC
CJ Premier 14/Classe CA200/Thiel 3.6
Wywires Silver IC/Stereolab Diablo SC/MIT Z cord II

Last edited by keef; 12-13-2018 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Buck,

I’ve been playing since I was 13. The guitars up front are a Fender Custom Shop SRV release, and the other is a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top. With Fender, comes the Marshall stack With the JCM 100 Watt tube head I keep next door.

Hendrix is my favorite, and that’s why I began. While he went through 100 Fenders in his short career, I have had about 6. The Fender has the sound of the blues, and also nicely contoured against your body. The Gibson is a tank, and digs in to you but has the Jimmy Page sound. If you get into it, consider working towards both options.

Unless your musically natured, lessons will keep on course, and like you said it takes practice, but even more so commitment.

I love strumming to the sound system, it brings it all together, cause your right if it’s in you, you’ll play.

Image1544758484.998785.jpg
Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 PM

I strongly suggest getting a good teacher. For one thing, teachers can help you to avoid bad habits/technique (sloppy left hand positions, finger angle, right hand picking techniques, etc.) and believe me, once an error becomes ingrained, it's really hard to correct! Also, it might sound simple, but don't practice mistakes! Mindlessly repeating a passage is worthless and once again can ingrain a problem. Analyze what makes the passage difficult or not sound good. Is it a position shift? Awkward chord fingering? Lack of smoothness? I had one of my students videotape his picking in a difficult riff, then he slowed it down upon playback, which revealed inconsistent attacks: he basically wasn't holding his pick firmly enough! Before this level of analysis, he just kept repeating it and it never got much better.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
I strongly suggest getting a good teacher. For one thing, teachers can help you to avoid bad habits/technique (sloppy left hand positions, finger angle, right hand picking techniques, etc.) and believe me, once an error becomes ingrained, it's really hard to correct! Also, it might sound simple, but don't practice mistakes! Mindlessly repeating a passage is worthless and once again can ingrain a problem. Analyze what makes the passage difficult or not sound good. Is it a position shift? Awkward chord fingering? Lack of smoothness? I had one of my students videotape his picking in a difficult riff, then he slowed it down upon playback, which revealed inconsistent attacks: he basically wasn't holding his pick firmly enough! Before this level of analysis, he just kept repeating it and it never got much better.
Thanks.....good info......since you're an instructor, hope this isn't a dumb question, but is there any kind of test, activity or anything that can tell a student ahead of time whether or not they will be coordinated enough to play the guitar well or does it really boil down to instruction and practice? I see so many people, casually and professionally play and I think to myself, man, I wonder if my left hand is capable of this? I guess everything looks impossible before you begin, but I'd sure love to know.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Yes, I played for some years but eventually had to stop as carpal tunnel set in.

If I get the surgery I should be able to pick it up again.

I started when I was 20, given some informal instruction by a friend, and found that I could not get beyond a certain point of proficiency. I hired an instructor and spent quite a bit of time unlearning some bad habits I had developed. From there my abilities expanded, I really began to improve and my frustration dissipated. I never went full electric but I do own an acoustic/electric Ovation which has rarely been plugged in. I guess I'm just an acoustic kind of guy.

I know you didn't want to hear "practice, practice, practice" but it's true and I'd add practice some more!

I'd also recommend seeking professional instruction in order to develop your skills which will keep you coming back to the instrument and reduce the frustration of trying to improve on your own.

I did hang on to my instruments and hope to be able to play them again.

From left to right are a Martin 000-15M, a Yamaki F115 Deluxe (one of the nicest sounding, best playing guitars I have ever touched - now you know where my user name came from) and the Ovation 1778TX-5.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Thanks.....good info......since you're an instructor, hope this isn't a dumb question, but is there any kind of test, activity or anything that can tell a student ahead of time whether or not they will be coordinated enough to play the guitar well or does it really boil down to instruction and practice? I see so many people, casually and professionally play and I think to myself, man, I wonder if my left hand is capable of this? I guess everything looks impossible before you begin, but I'd sure love to know.

- Buck
Sorry, but there's no test--you just have to jump in and give it a try. Yes, it might seem hard or nearly impossible at first, but with the aid of a good teacher, you should make progress. If you practice intelligently and it still doesn't come together, then maybe it isn't for you, but give it several months at least before making a decision.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:10 PM

Best self lessons in my opinion is Learn and Play Guitar. It’s a Gibson product now.... also if like me I did it backwards and learned Pentatonic Scales. This will allow you to play Lead to all the backing tracks within about a weeks time... if serious learn the right way and get the above mentioned Gibson product...
Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 AM

There are many similarities between the audio hobby and guitars. In both endeavors, the definitions of "best" can be both subjective and objective. The price tag for "best" with a guitar while it can be eye watering does not even come close to that of the best audio equipment. Those of us who have contracted Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) make up for that by purchasing a guitar for each style of music we play, for each tuning we use, fore each body size and style etc., etc. Beware of GAS.

Cincy
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management
Old 12-17-2018, 09:10 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
There are many similarities between the audio hobby and guitars. In both endeavors, the definitions of "best" can be both subjective and objective. The price tag for "best" with a guitar while it can be eye watering does not even come close to that of the best audio equipment. Those of us who have contracted Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) make up for that by purchasing a guitar for each style of music we play, for each tuning we use, fore each body size and style etc., etc. Beware of GAS.

Cincy
I bet. Good thing we don't have to buy multiple systems here for all different styles of music! Ha.

- Buck