AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 08-24-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Blues View Post
Jason Stoddard has posted on another forum that Schiit, and other companies, are being hit with a global parts shortage. Apparently lead times and availability are getting wonky, this is negatively impacting new and to-be-upgraded Yggy's.

Sigh, the unit I ordered to evaluate in July is delayed again. I hope the chip shortages are for MRIs and not missiles. Still enjoying the Gumby — feel a bit silly connecting a flux-50 to it, but think it may be a tad smoother (couldn’t swear to it).
Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Hello Dan/Peter,
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I have not been on this site for quite some time! Well I upgraded my speaker cables from Kimber 8TCs to Eclipse 7s, with about 70 hrs burn in. I cannot belive the change in width and depth of the music! Couldn’t be happier. So I guess my next upgrade would be the Starlight to the Silver Starlight? After the Eclipse do you really think there will be even more of an improvement in the sound?
Regards
Jeff
Old 11-25-2018, 09:06 PM

Great information on Yggdrasil here, a big thank you to Dan for a wonderful review. I've had my Yggdrasil for almost a year and have been using solely the AES/EBU input. It probably has well over 1000 hours. I am now starting to use the RCA/coax and USB inputs via a different player. Does the Yggdrasil require break in per each input?
Thank you..
Old 11-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tie_breaker View Post
Great information on Yggdrasil here, a big thank you to Dan for a wonderful review. I've had my Yggdrasil for almost a year and have been using solely the AES/EBU input. It probably has well over 1000 hours. I am now starting to use the RCA/coax and USB inputs via a different player. Does the Yggdrasil require break in per each input?
Thank you..
Tie_breaker.......Appreciate the compliment on my review. As for the break-in on inputs I would think the SPDIF board gets its hours logged from any of the SPDIF inputs. The Gen 5 USB input will likely improve with some break-in hours. During the break-in on my Yggy I used each of the inputs for many hours to ensure the associated internal circuits had time to settle. Like I said in an earlier post, it is also good to leave the DAC energized 24/7. Schiit recommends that in their owner's manual. I also leave my music server and transport energized 24/7.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Thank you for the excellent review. I purchased my yggdrasil october of last year and it's been in my system ever since. The only piece of gear to do so in fact.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:55 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by direstraitsfan98 View Post
Thank you for the excellent review. I purchased my yggdrasil october of last year and it's been in my system ever since. The only piece of gear to do so in fact.
direstraitsfan98.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

I appreciate the compliment on my Yggdrasil review. I am still as thrilled with its performance today as I was the day I installed it in my living room system. The Schiit Audio Yggdrasil is a very special DAC indeed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Adam.......I have not done a direct A/B comparison of the Yggdrasil DAC to the Esoteric K-01X DAC. I will eventually do that to satisfy my curiosity and will write a separate review detailing the results. What I can say is the Yggdrasil is ultra musical and pulls me into every listening session with ease. When I go to the studio and spend time with the Aurender N10 and the K-01X I am not sensing the K-01X is outperforming the Yggdrasil, nor when I come from the studio system to the living room system I am not sensing a loss of connection with the music. In fact, the Yggdrasil has a particular musical essence and completeness to the presentation that wants for nothing. It is truly hypnotic. I will get to a Yggdrasil/K-01X shootout in good time.
Dan,

Did you ever do this comparison. Curious about the results.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by adol290 View Post
Dan,

Did you ever do this comparison. Curious about the results.
Esoteric K-01X versus Schiit Audio Yggdrasil

Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 PM

Hi everyone. Dan, not looking to give you a big ego, but your reviews are really fantastic

I've started thinking about my current DAC and I guess I am asking pretty specific questions - namely, how does the older K-03 (DAC) compare to something like the YGGY?

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44976

Dan, I read your initial review, and then the comparison to the K-01x. My take away if that the YGGY is somewhat comparable in SQ to the flagship Esoteric, and based on the different chip implementation, may in fact be perfectly suited to the majority Redbook stuff in my library (and presumably what I will be able to get from Tidal or similar streaming subscription).

I know you previously had a K-03 in one of your systems. Truthfully, I don't know the real delta between a K-03 and a K-01x - and maybe I am asking you to interpolate what you remember from your K-03... but would be grateful to get a +/- opinion on what a modern DAC like the YGGY can deliver with my N100H vs. continuing to use the DAC from the K-03.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this specific application/question.

Best,

Matt
Old 01-30-2019, 12:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lane View Post
Hi everyone. Dan, not looking to give you a big ego, but your reviews are really fantastic

I've started thinking about my current DAC and I guess I am asking pretty specific questions - namely, how does the older K-03 (DAC) compare to something like the YGGY?

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44976

Dan, I read your initial review, and then the comparison to the K-01x. My take away is that the YGGY is somewhat comparable in SQ to the flagship Esoteric, and based on the different chip implementation, may in fact be perfectly suited to the majority Redbook stuff in my library (and presumably what I will be able to get from Tidal or similar streaming subscription).

I know you previously had a K-03 in one of your systems. Truthfully, I don't know the real delta between a K-03 and a K-01x - and maybe I am asking you to interpolate what you remember from your K-03... but would be grateful to get a +/- opinion on what a modern DAC like the YGGY can deliver with my N100H vs. continuing to use the DAC from the K-03.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this specific application/question.
Matt.......First things first, the Yggdrasil DAC is a lot more than just somewhat comparable to the Esoteric K-01X DAC. The Yggdrasil DAC's performance paralleled the K-01X more often than not, and in certain ways presented a slightly more holistic presentation with respect to timbrel accuracy. The A/B comparison left little doubt in my mind of the astonishing realistic performance a well designed ladder DAC is capable of delivering.

Having said that, when I purchased the Esoteric K-01X and replaced one of my two K-03's, I had the opportunity to make a direct A/B comparison of the K-03 in the studio system to the new K-01X. I reveled in the performance of the K-03 in both my studio system and my living room system. The level of detail and harmonic richness was a step up for my McIntosh MCD1100 players the K-03's replaced. I was told to expect a noticeable performance improvement with the K-01X over the K-03, but frankly I was not certain I would hear it. That was put to rest quickly once the K-01X was installed in the studio sound system. You may find my Esoteric K-01X Review an interesting read. My reason for pointing all of this out is to say that I am confident the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC will outperform the Esoteric K-03 with PCM recordings, this said because the Yggdrasil ran nose to nose with the K-01X during my shootout. It is important to remember though, the Esoteric K-03 has DSD capability, plus a state of the art transport, and is certainly not the caboose in any DAC train. It's performance is quite remarkable. Without having the opportunity to make direct A/B comparisons with the K-01X or the Yggdrasil you are still enjoying a premium level of digital to analog conversion performance.

My personal take is you would absolutely love the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC. For Redbook PCM playback I am confident you will prefer it to the K-03. Yes, it is that good. My suggestion is keep the Esoteric K-03 for DSD playback and use it as a transport to feed the Yggdrasil for PCM playback. Your Aurender N100H will shine with the Yggdrasil, too.

Last edited by jdandy; 01-30-2019 at 06:33 PM.