AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 09-17-2012, 06:55 PM

Update:

I bought two amps! One is a CJ SS with reputation for warmth (for SS) - MF-2250A. I bought it from some scallywag that shall remain nameless (kidding of course). The other is an 11A. Both should be here this weekend.

I'll let the 2250A compete with my McCormack DNA-250 and will just keep one. I'll see how I do with the 11A for my first tube amp (other than an old Scott integrated tube amp from the 1960's - maybe 50's about 35 years ago!).

The 11A is coming with KT90's. I'm not sure if the 6550's are included. So more variables to play with there. I read that the KT90's yield more power and more bass control, but less of the midrange tube magic. The 11A comes via Audiogon, but I see the owner has posted around here in the past. Perhaps he's around......

The MV-60 (pre SE) would be my first choice for my entry level tube amp from what I'm reading, but the 11A seems very close to the same design and sound. Neither one seem that plentiful on the used market. More MV-60SE's.

Anyway... looking forward to a fun weekend with two amps. That is if CD, I mean that nameless scallywag, survives the post office ordeal!

Thanks for the input everyone!

.........Peter
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Cool, calm scientist

The Premier 11A does not work well at all with KT-90s, the tubes will not hold their bias. The person who sold me my Premier 11A went through four sets of matched quads of KT-90s because of the inability to hold bias, one of the tubes we installed lost bias right after we inserted it into its tube socket. I would encourage you to use 6550s, KT88s, or the new KT-120s instead.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The Premier 11A does not work well at all with KT-90s, the tubes will not hold their bias. The person who sold me my Premier 11A went through four sets of matched quads of KT-90s because of the inability to hold bias, one of the tubes we installed lost bias right after we inserted it into its tube socket. I would encourage you to use 6550s, KT88s, or the new KT-120s instead.
Thanks for the advice Puma Cat. I'll see what comes with it and try an alternative or two. I think he's been using the KT90's and says it comes with extra tubes, but I didn't ask what type.

Here's an interesting thread on tube choice. It's old, but at least after the 11A was made!

.........Peter

Last edited by pstrisik; 09-17-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
Thanks for the advice Puma Cat. I'll see what comes with it and try an alternative or two. I think he's been using the KT90's and says it comes with extra tubes, but I didn't ask what type.

Here's an interesting thread on tube choice. It's old, but at least after the 11A was made!

.........Peter
Good luck, Peter. When I bought my Premier 11A the seller was kind enough to bring it over for me to hear in my own system. IMO, the Gold Lion KT88s sounded much better than the expensive EI KT-90s he was using, and which he could not get to stay in bias. That amp just does not like those tubes, in my experience. This was before the KT-120s came out.

BTW, my LP70S does not like KT88s at all; it really sounded much better with 6550s, and best with KT-120s, IMO.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Good luck, Peter. When I bought my Premier 11A the seller was kind enough to bring it over for me to hear in my own system. IMO, the Gold Lion KT88s sounded much better than the expensive EI KT-90s he was using, and which he could not get to stay in bias. That amp just does not like those tubes, in my experience. This was before the KT-120s came out.

BTW, my LP70S does not like KT88s at all; it really sounded much better with 6550s, and best with KT-120s, IMO.
In reading, it seems like the 6550's and KT-88's are the preferred tubes for this model (6550 being the originals). KT-88 perhaps the best for midrange but with some compromise in power output.

....Peter
Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Update:

I bought two amps! One is a CJ SS with reputation for warmth (for SS) - MF-2250A. I bought it from some scallywag that shall remain nameless (kidding of course). The other is an 11A. Both should be here this weekend.

I'll let the 2250A compete with my McCormack DNA-250 and will just keep one. I'll see how I do with the 11A for my first tube amp (other than an old Scott integrated tube amp from the 1960's - maybe 50's about 35 years ago!).

The 11A is coming with KT90's. I'm not sure if the 6550's are included. So more variables to play with there. I read that the KT90's yield more power and more bass control, but less of the midrange tube magic. The 11A comes via Audiogon, but I see the owner has posted around here in the past. Perhaps he's around......

The MV-60 (pre SE) would be my first choice for my entry level tube amp from what I'm reading, but the 11A seems very close to the same design and sound. Neither one seem that plentiful on the used market. More MV-60SE's.

Anyway... looking forward to a fun weekend with two amps. That is if CD, I mean that nameless scallywag, survives the post office ordeal!

Thanks for the input everyone!

.........Peter
Barely; but one of your new amps is on its way to the Great White North Peter (oh wait, that's Canada ).

I don't want to bias your audition; but I've put this mf-2250A up against the McCormack DNA-225 (which I'm willing to bet is very similar-sounding to your DNA-250)...and I find them to be plenty distinguishable.

I'll be curious to compare my own impressions with yours. Happy listening!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
In reading, it seems like the 6550's and KT-88's are the preferred tubes for this model (6550 being the originals). KT-88 perhaps the best for midrange but with some compromise in power output.

....Peter
The typical 6550 and KT88 are different sounding in some respects but I'm not so sure about those comments you've read regarding the KT88 being compromised in power output. As far as I know, a 6550 dissipates 35 watts while a KT88 is 20% higher at 42 watts. I'm not saying the KT88 necessarily sounds louder in average use but as the KT120 does to an even greater extent, there is more on reserve. To my ears at least a KT88 doesn't sound under-powered in comparison to a 6550.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
The typical 6550 and KT88 are different sounding in some respects but I'm not so sure about those comments you've read regarding the KT88 being compromised in power output. As far as I know, a 6550 dissipates 35 watts while a KT88 is 20% higher at 42 watts. I'm not saying the KT88 necessarily sounds louder in average use but as the KT120 does to an even greater extent, there is more on reserve. To my ears at least a KT88 doesn't sound under-powered in comparison to a 6550.
Agreed. In my Premier 11A, the 6550s were more transparent with tighter bass, but the KT88s had more midrange magic. What I like about the KT-120s is I get the best of both, and even better bass than 6550s.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Agreed. In my Premier 11A, the 6550s were more transparent with tighter bass, but the KT88s had more midrange magic. What I like about the KT-120s is I get the best of both, and even better bass than 6550s.
I don't think any of the of the c-j amps have been designed to utilize the KT120, but they sure are able to let its qualities shine through. Bass and dynamics are two areas in particular. They also have a good deal of a KT88's richness and not in an overly warm way.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Just to double check, you both are saying that the KT-120 is a viable tube choice for the 11A in particular? If so, it sounds like a no brainer if it retains midrange qualities while improving bass.

........Peter

Found this seller with history and info on these power tubes. They are cheaper than most at $44 each (at that site anyway).

Last edited by pstrisik; 09-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.